Ever consider actually talking to other members of Hondaswap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kanned

Beast
There is a program called Ventrilo ( Ventrilo - Surround Sound Voice Communication Software ) that I discovered and have been using for 5 years now. It's a Voice over IP program that allows you to speak to as many people at once as you want, whether it be 50 people in the same conversation or one on one. All that is needed is a server, and those who wish to talk will need a microphone(durrrr). I've owned a server hosted by nrgservers - ventrilo servers, SHOUTcast servers, game servers, server hosting for 4 years now, and the quality is literally better than the phone. My server is has a high quality codec and can hold 50 people at once all for $10.00 a month. For me to upgrade to a 100 man server, it would only be $12.50. If anyone wants to see how it works, let me know. I'll be more than happy to give you my server info and let you hear the quality. The best part is that you can set it to where you have to hold down a button to talk, so you don't have to worry about people overhearing a personal convo or such. I think people going in on one would be a good idea for technical issues and boredom purposes. Although, political debates could get out of hand with you crazy bastards. Discuss.

Could you imagine

"User Celerity has joined the conversation"

"Yeah so that' why .. I ... "

<Crickets>

"Yo, what up people?"

"All users have left the conversation, you are the only user remaining"

Also, peakoil uses something like this to talk as well. And it's nice when a thread is moving fast and it's on to a teacher / student type of thing.

So one of the oil industry guys gets on, and other members listen and ask reasonable questions. We simply shoot too much shit for a conference call.

ive used ventrillo/teamspeak/roger wilco and other programs like that for years in different mmorpg's

you can divide it into seperate rooms and such, even password protect some of the rooms

cant say that id use it, but its a good idea ;)

Who is going to host the ventrillo server?

Cause we couldn't have everyone on at the same time... Wait... maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

well shit if everyone wants to chat at like 8-9pm i can open up one of the access conference lines :)

or just a voice chat like i have seen on yahoo. i dont think i wanna sit on the phone lol all night its bad enough im on the computer so much a night.

Here's a screen shot of the program for those who aren't familiar with it. This is some friends of mine and I in the same channel. There are websites next to some of the names because you can post a comment that others can copy, like a link to a video. You have to hold down a designated button on your keyboard or mouse when talking or it will not be heard, so it's not like you're stuck on the phone. You can randomly leave the comp and do other shit without worrying about people eaves dropping. No webcam, just microphones. Don't mind the random channels friends made =P
Ventrilo.jpg

It would turn into Celerity and Silverchild bickering about politics putting everyone else to sleep.

That's why channels are so great. They can simply go into their own channel and no one else can hear them. All well, I was just throwing an idea out. Failed.

Wish I had 75 bucks. ESI has a program that with a headset/mic you can talk right off your laptop through the internet via the phone system, anywhere with internet access.

Back