!!!Everyone Please Help No VTEC No More Ideas!!&#3

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bl6CRX

Ok I posted this awhile back and I have yet to solve the problem and am in need of any and all the help/suggestions I can get. Ok this is kinda long but please bear with me, I'll try to be as clear as possible...

Background: Ok, i have a 91 CRX running B20 VTEC(B20B, USDM Full Type R head) after my swap vtec did not work...occassionally it would start to engage, but it would never fully engage...at the time I was running a PR3 and the only thing i was throwing was code 23 Knock sensor and occasionally 22 Vtec Oil pressure, since then, I have converted my car to grey plug (OBD1) running a p28 (I have tried both a chipped and factory). Still. . .no sign of vtec. . .no codes with exception to last night getting on the freeway I got on it and it threw 22, but cleared next time I started it...here's a list of things I have checked/replaced. . .

Checked/Replaced: First, oil level (I did a full oil change running non-synthetic 10W-30 Oil w/filter) I have replaced the VTEC solenoid and Vtec oil pressure sensor with known working parts, I have checked the oil jets/pins under the drivers side cam caps, I have checked (and replaced) the jet/pin under the middle cam cap, Although I am not sure the size (I will find it out today) of the oil line which I am running from the block to the head. It is the same size as on my freinds car with the exact same working setup (except hes running a gsr tranny and p72) and the oil line does have the working sensor on it. I do not have a oil pressure gauge hooked up, but will do it today. . .

ALSO!! I have hooked a switch directly up to the vtec solinoid ( i know it works I can hear it engaging (clicking) and vtec still won't kick in... i press the switch at 5,000 rpms and no vtec...what can this mean? Isn't it if you give the solinoid power VTEC will kick in regardless of oil pressure??? ANYONE WITH ANY IDEAS QUESTIONS OR ADVICE PLEASE POST THEM OR PM ME OR E-mail @ snowsk85@yaho.com....I don't know what else to try. . .thanks for taking the time to read all of this...-Mike

Well the only thing that tells your vtec when to kick in is your ecu. I would try to plug another ecu in just to see if it works. That would be really easy to make sure that the ecu is working properly. Try and borrow one from someone or a parts yard that you maybe normally go to. Do you have a vtec controller? If you don't I don't know how you can tell if it is partially kicking in or fully kicking in, it's not going to put you back into your seat.

Also if you don't know where the computer you have came from 100%, then someone may have messed with it trying to put in a chip or something.

Thats all I got.

Thanks for the input, but i have tried switching ecus that work in my friends car with a similar setup, and when i was saying vtec was partially kicking in, i meant that it was going in and out for just a second wile in high rpms, thnaks for the idea!!!

Check and seeif the headis missing any bolts at all my cousin has a type r he blew his fist motor up and of course he got a new one when he got it back he had no vtec come to find out he was getting any oil pressure and thatwas the reason why.

DEFINITELY sounds like an oil restriction problem. if you directly hooked up a switch and gave the solenoid +12v, and vtec did not kick in, then there is a blockage somewhere. and are you sure that the solenoid is in working order?

Originally posted by YouCan'tDrive@Jan 9 2004, 02:00 PM
Check and seeif the headis missing any bolts at all my cousin has a type r he blew his fist motor up and of course he got a new one when he got it back he had no vtec come to find out he was getting any oil pressure and thatwas the reason why.

Punctuation is your friend.

Originally posted by DTEC@Jan 9 2004, 05:49 PM
DEFINITELY sounds like an oil restriction problem. if you directly hooked up a switch and gave the solenoid +12v, and vtec did not kick in, then there is a blockage somewhere. and are you sure that the solenoid is in working order?

99.9% positive it is working...i took one from a working car, and the one i swaped him for worked fine on his car...Anyother ideas???

i don't know if this will help, but you can try checking a couple things. first the ground wire on the vtec oil pressure plug, cause if you throw it 12v and it has no ground, its not going to work. you can check the other two vtec wires while your at it, just to make sure nothing is damaged or came loose. second the ecu just doesn't need to see oil pressure to make the vtec engage, it also needs to see the vehicle speed and the engine temperature. so make sure your vss is working and the wiring is in order and your cts is working. though if either of those is defective it should throw a code, but it won't hurt to check.

yeah the wiring is fine. . .James Lin does my wiring for me and he is GOD when it comes to wiring, we've checked it soo many times in hope it was something that simple...thats for the time trying to help me out

dude it really sounds to me like your vtec sylinoid is fucked. do u have access to another one to see if it will fire. also, did you check your vtec oil feeding line?

Originally posted by Bl6CRX@Jan 11 2004, 04:38 AM
99.9% positive it is working...i took one from a working car, and the one i swaped him for worked fine on his car...Anyother ideas???

maybe i was unclear...i took the one off my car, put it on my friends car whose vtec definitly worked, my vtec still did not work, and his worked fine with my solenoid. . .so i really don't see how it could be that, also, I am going to get a fitting so i can put a gauge directly on the line to the oil psi....

Originally posted by hybirdeg@Jan 13 2004, 01:13 PM
dude it really sounds to me like your vtec sylinoid is fucked. do u have access to another one to see if it will fire. also, did you check your vtec oil feeding line?

:werd:

take your vtec oil feed line off and inspect it for blockage. check fittings too.
if all your wiring is good and your vtec solenoid is good than it has to be a problem with the oil pressure. hook up that gauge and let us know what it reads.

danm foo i see your last idea didnt shed any new light on your problem.

ok people help this fool out! if its not fixed by the 24th he will miss are cali meet, and that would suck.

Originally posted by UDT@Jan 14 2004, 03:04 PM
ok people help this fool out! if its not fixed by the 24th he will miss are cali meet, and that would suck.

haha yeah i really wanna run this car!!!

Hey B16CRX, I think your cars VTEC isnt kicking in cause it saw the blue v6 stang next to it a couple times and got depressed.... I'm just playing bro.... I don't know if Lilly told you but I just got an 88 civic HB... Its got a blown headgasket now but during the summer I'm gonna probably swap the motor and turn the thing into a lil drag car... Ill see you later
Adam :spin:

Dear, I think the problem might be that one of the oil jets in the rocker arms is missing. If just one of those things is gone vtec won't kick in, cause it won't have the neccessary oil pressure.

I don't know if Lilly told you but I just got an 88 civic HB

P.S. Hey Adam, what's up? I told him already hahaha, but I told him to act suprised when you said it. :p

Originally posted by ludegirl@Jan 19 2004, 01:20 AM
Dear, I think the problem might be that one of the oil jets in the rocker arms is missing. If just one of those things is gone vtec won't kick in, cause it won't have the neccessary oil pressure.

Wow thats a great idea!!! How did you ever come up with it??? Yeah guys I found my problem that was it (thanks to the thinking of some guys @ RS Machine)...the little oil jet in one of the rocker arms was missing...thanks for the all the ideas though...I AM SOOOO HAPPY THAT I HAVE VTEC...now this b20 rips like hell...it just lights up my tires when i hit vtec so...time for some news tires!!!

I don't know if Lilly told you but I just got an 88 civic HB

Nice!!! I've been waiting for you to see the light...come by the office sometime and we'll have to talk!!!

Back