EVO 8 to turbo honda !

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

What's up all on HondaSwap?!

So i'm in the process of selling my 04 evo 8 and going to pick up my buddy's 96 ek coupe for dirt cheap. My evo is making around 320whp and mid/low 12's. I want to build a boosted b16/b18 to around 350whp on pump and DD tune and around 500whp on race gas. My goal is 11's on slicks. This will be full weight, full interior DD.

My question to hondaswap ppl:
1. What B-series engine should I go with? I'm going to try and spend my money as wisely (cheaply!) as possible. I am leaning towards a b16a or b18c1. whichever i find cheaper. the b18c1 would give me some more tq but is it really worth the extra cash? I will also run a gsr tranny because of it's slightly higher gears than a b16.

2. Sleeved or stock? Will ONLY aftermarket rods/pistons (arias/eagle) and a rebuilt block w/ all new bearing be able to hold up to the #'s i'm trying to reach? or are SLEEVES a must for that kind of power? I'm def. going to get a good tune with whichever set-up i choose. most likely hondata. The head is going to be slightly "built" with a set of turbo cams and spring/retainers.

those are my main questions so far. basically, how much power can a sleeved built b16/b18 make as a DD verse a NON-SLEEVED b16/b18 built? any idea how much a machine shop might charge for the cleaning of the block and rebuild if i supply all the parts (bearing/bolts/etc.) ?

as for my turbo set-up:
I was going to go with a tubular ramhorn style exhaust mani. and run a gt30 or similar turbo (I don't want something too big and laggy. i want something with full spool around 4k and pull up top also. any ideas?). and all the usual things required to run turbo ( tial wg, tial bov, fmic, 2.5 charge pipes, 3in tbe, 700+cc injectors...) thank you to all who reply and help out and I hope I can have one sick ek coupe by spring!

I'd go with a fully built and sleeved b18c1. I dont think the stock sleeves would last very long with that much power. I'm not 100%, but I would probably do it just to be sure.

Why not go with an ls-v? You could have it fully built for the price of the stock b18c plus you would have the extra torque. Stock sleeves should be fine for 350whp but re-sleeving would be added insurance.

Just make sure you do LOTS of research on this topic and figure out what is right for you. It will pay off in the end when you don't blow your engine.

why not just keep your evo? or are you one of those guys who dumped money into a car that he couldnt afford?

350 whp is attainable on a totally stock b18c. I've even seen 500 whp on a stock gsr; however its extremely rare and probably wasn't a daily driver. For a DD, a tuner in cincinatti told me that he sleeves for anything over 400 whp on a b-series.

awesome! keep the replies coming. i'm selling the evo because my mom is running into some financial problems so i'm trying to help her out. i wish i could keep the evo but some things are more important.

As for the tranny; I will most likely end up going with the gsr tranny. unless i come across an LS tranny for dirt cheap and can't pass up.

99sidude: so your tuner says anything above 400whp then sleeve? What does everyone else think about that? Sounds like a good number to sleeve to me. i know a bone stock b18c can hold around 300whp but i want this thing to be reliable and again, it will be my DD. i mean, i do have a 95 toyota corolla beater i drive to work but when i get home or even b4 i go to work i try and grab the keys to my evo for a "spirited" drive ; ) and this will def. be my weekend ride.

thnx again guys for replying and helping me out. i appreciate it

There are a lot of guys here in buffalo boosting 15-20psi making over 400whp on pump gas stock sleeves. Just need a good tuner.

GSR engines are awesome if built right. I have a fully built gsr engine/benson sleeved boosting 18psi 'for now' with a 35r .82 turbo. I ran 11.3 with a shitty 60ft and open diff. The turbo is laggy on the streets but a beast at the track.

whats your budget?

ESTORVITO: is that 11.3 on slicks in a hb? that's an impressive time. your set-up sounds like something I want to do. I saw a special on the net that had pistons/rods (eagle and some other name brand options) and darton sleeves for 1200 as a whole set. then i was going to find a b18 block for hopefully pretty cheap and a gsr tranny. then piece together the "best" turbo kit. I'm planning for the car to be HOPEFULLY done by summer. My budget is.....that's a good question! haha figure, about 5k maybe??! on engine/tranny/turbo set-up. that's not in concrete or anything but i'd like to keep it around there. what should I expect to spend? i want this to be a "budget friendly" build. i would love the 35r but it's kind of pricey. I was leaning towards a smaller turbo like a 50trim or gt30. not too laggy and have top end power as well as low end. full spool around 4-5k.

thnx for the help guys.

Yes and NO... lol.
Its a 93 honda civic 4 door. Only interior pieces missing is the carpet,,,, ohh and lower part of the back seat, so pretty much full interior. I was running 25x8.7x13 slicks on lenso wheels. I couldve ran 11.1 or better with a 1.6-7 sixty foot but i had no traction up on till high 3rd. LSD might've had something to do with it.
I have more than 14k invested in the engine though soo...
I picked up the turbo for $1300 brand new and made my own dp, charge pipes and exhaust. I love the 35r, but kinda want to get a 42r for next season and run a top mount instead of the ramhorn i have and hopefully hit 9's :) If not, fuck it id stick with mid 10 seconds with the 35r.
Im running cp pistons, pauter rods and acl bearings <-not race bearings. THe block, head, and crank were sent to Laskey Racing to get benson sleeves (stock 81mm bore) portflow head stg2 and get the crank micropolished and balanced.
Like i said before, im boosting 18psi and the car is a beast on the streets and at the track. I should be out next season at 28+ psi. :)
if i dont sell it that is.

Im sure you can get a better low rpm spool with a 35r .63ar instead of the .82 that im running. You just wont make as much power. Ballbearing turbos are awesome at the track. You can shift gears and the turbo pretty much stays spinning. Dude i can turn my car off and the turbo will still spin for like 2 minutes. lol I love it

You can do...
eagle rods = $320ish
cp pistons = $500ish
acl bearings = $110ish
balance and micro crank = $150+-
get the block honed ?!
a nice stage 2 or 3 turbo kit from afi $3500ish +-
injectors
walbro

Now as for the tranny.... You need a clutch kit. ACT maxx extreme 6puck is nice for like $450ish.

and of course a tune.
IM sure i missed a couple things , but you get the point. You should be in the 12s on street tires and high 11's if not better with slick depending on your driving skills

OR YOU CAN BUY MY CAR FOR 10,500 and run 10's all day:ph34r:
check out my build thread.

sorry about my spelling.

Good luck!

Attachments

• my fodo.jpg
    my fodo.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 10,750
  • 09-27-07_1554.jpg
    09-27-07_1554.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 668
thnx for all your help bro. i really appreciate it. that list you wrote up looks pretty good. with the block rebuilt w/ new bearings with forged pistons/rods/ NO SLEEVES you say 12's on street tires and high 11's on slicks? depending on the turbo set-up, i'd be pushing about 15-20psi or so. What if i went with sleeves, i'd be able to up the boost to around 22-26 and make a hell of a lot more power. I want to do the sleeves so later down the road when the "more power" bug bites me i'll just have to upgrade the turbo set-up. I mean that's what i'm thinking! but this is also my first turbo honda i'm going to build so i'm sure there's gonna be something i'm overlooking. thnx again for all the help.

if i had 10k id holla at you! haha that's a clean ass ride. i'd like to see the looks on the muscle car guy's faces when your 4 door honda rolls up with fat a** slicks to the line lol

thnx for all your help bro. i really appreciate it. that list you wrote up looks pretty good. with the block rebuilt w/ new bearings with forged pistons/rods/ NO SLEEVES you say 12's on street tires and high 11's on slicks? depending on the turbo set-up, i'd be pushing about 15-20psi or so. What if i went with sleeves, i'd be able to up the boost to around 22-26 and make a hell of a lot more power. I want to do the sleeves so later down the road when the "more power" bug bites me i'll just have to upgrade the turbo set-up. I mean that's what i'm thinking! but this is also my first turbo honda i'm going to build so i'm sure there's gonna be something i'm overlooking. thnx again for all the help.

if i had 10k id holla at you! haha that's a clean ass ride. i'd like to see the looks on the muscle car guy's faces when your 4 door honda rolls up with fat a** slicks to the line lol
No problemO bro...
So yeah, I dont see why not. A good turbo setup, healthy engine/tranny, tune, and driver and you should be up in the 11sec club w/no prob. ;)
You should look into AFI or peakboost turbo kits. They kick ass.
Sleeves are pretty expensive. Beleive it or not youd probably be better off buying someone elses setup than bulding your own... its a lot cheaper that way.
THe faster you want to go, the more money youre going to have to spend. Its not cheap

I started with a basic turbo build and ended up with a crazy project that took me almost a year to finish it. My budget was $3000 at first, and ended up spending over 14k :(

GL

me too

Wow, what a coincidence. I'm in the same situation. Got rid of my 04 Evo Gsr about 1 month ago and picked up a 97 ex coupe from a buddy for dirt cheap. I'm almost done getting all the parts and the car is coming out of paint next week. I'm going with an AFI street turbo kit and a stock 99 B18B. Looking for about 350 whp on C16 and mid to low 12s at the track on slicks. Most of my buddies are saying hi 11s on that setup, but we'll see. I hit 12.1 at 114 in my evo on the stock turbo on vp110, so I need to go faster than that, hopefully.

nice ^^^

I have an AFI ramhorn manifold for sale if youre interested. lol
I just sold my 35r to upgrade to a 42r so i have no use for it..

i hit a 12.9 in my evo with just intake/exhaust/flash so i'm guess mid/low 12's with my new set-up. I want my civic to do that full weight with drag radials! What made you go stock b18b? j/w thnx and g/l

ESTORVITO: how much for manifold?

i hit a 12.9 in my evo with just intake/exhaust/flash so i'm guess mid/low 12's with my new set-up. I want my civic to do that full weight with drag radials! What made you go stock b18b? j/w thnx and g/l

The LS motor is good for boost with already low compression, and it's worlds better than the single cam currently in the car, and it's cheap--blow it up, buy another. You can find them for about 5-600 bux....it also has tons of potential fully built. You don't have to have Vtec with boost.

Back