EVO Vs. RX-8 Vs WRX Vs 350z

what one would you buy for 25-30k?

• STi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rx8

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I gotta go with the 350Z, but I am biased...It goes 14.3 in the 1/4 mile.
I agree with Codee, the SVT Cobra should be on there, I didn't think I could ever own a Mustang, but after driving an '03, it wasn't too bad.

Originally posted by sisteve@May 28 2003, 09:23 AM
don't forget mazda is owned by ford ;) but at least they dont dig into the parts bin for mazda cars :)

Ah, but they do. :lol:

I can't wait to see how the RX-8 does under boost. Mazda wanted to keep the engine naturally aspirated partly for reliability reasons, but the new port design and apex seal setup should hold boost a lot better than the old 13B setup.

Originally posted by Afipunk21@May 28 2003, 07:43 AM
I gotta go with the 350Z, but I am biased...It goes 14.3 in the 1/4 mile.
I agree with Codee, the SVT Cobra should be on there, I didn't think I could ever own a Mustang, but after driving an '03, it wasn't too bad.

I thought that they put the 350Z at 13.8/9? I'll try and dig up the article to see. My neighbor that races sprint cars just bought a 350 and when I saw it on the road for the first time I was in awe, the styling just gets me for some reason.

Car and Driver
We're delighted to report that this hardware makes for more than an impressive spec sheet. How does this sound: 0 to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 14.1 seconds at 101 mph? How about 0.88 g of cornering stick, a stopping distance from 70 mph to standstill in 164 feet, and a top speed of 156 mph? That's essentially the same performance as a Porsche Boxster S, which has a base price of more than 50 grand.

Guess I was wrong about the 1/4 on the Z, but it is 14.1, a little better than 14.3, and that's with the premium package adding weight. Doesn't 101 MPH in the 1/4 seem a little high to only get 14.1 though?

I guess I would have to go EVO for the all-around package... (Brembo brakes, recaro seats, etc...) although the Z is bad-ass. And if you just want performance you can't funk with the STI. The rx-8 is gorgeous but I heard it's just not powerfull enough. You really gotta wind out the gears to get it to move.
And B, my parents have a 2001 M5. I really don't think they would let it go for under 35k... :lol: :lol: :lol: But I get it in like 5 years. I can't wait.... B)

Originally posted by Calesta+May 28 2003, 11:08 AM-->
@May 28 2003, 09:23 AM
don't forget mazda is owned by ford ;) but at least they dont dig into the parts bin for mazda cars :)

Ah, but they do. :lol:

I can't wait to see how the RX-8 does under boost. Mazda wanted to keep the engine naturally aspirated partly for reliability reasons, but the new port design and apex seal setup should hold boost a lot better than the old 13B setup.

maybe for mazda trucks ;)

and i agree fully one the boost issue, the new rotory design is awesome and should really produce some killer numbers, its goign to be hard to decide if I actually are in the market to purchase the z or the rex.

STi, but I am biased. I feel in love with the Impreza WRC in 98 when I was introduce to Rally, was dissapointed by the hideous thing Subaru called a WRX, but I love everything about the STi. I bet if you tossed the torque sensing diffs for better units, the car would understeer much less.

The biggest concern with the Cobra is it is Mustang. They have been ruined for me the same way that BMW's, Trans Ams, and Camaro's have. Too many run ins with ass hole drivers. These cars tend to attract them. I know not everyone that drives one is that way.

Originally posted by sisteve@May 28 2003, 10:50 AM
and i agree fully one the boost issue, the new rotory design is awesome and should really produce some killer numbers, its goign to be hard to decide if I actually are in the market to purchase the z or the rex.

I'm sure they raid the parts bin for more than just their trucks- just not anything major yet though.

;)

I'm with you on which to buy- but I still have plenty of time to worry about it. I'll wait and see what the aftermarket is able to achieve with the 8 first.

I was thinking about this the other day. STi all the way, I have to say I just love the car.

Has anyone noticed the 350z door handles? They look like they were pasted on. Ruins the cars lines IMO

Originally posted by liquid00meth@May 28 2003, 03:46 PM
Has anyone noticed the 350z door handles? They look like they were pasted on. Ruins the cars lines IMO

:werd:
only color that looks good (IMO) is the light silver color cuz it matches the door handles

Originally posted by liquid00meth@May 28 2003, 02:46 PM

Shave 'em ;)

EV0 8 fo sho. It looks good, stock brembos, enkeis, recaros and a boosted 4G63 which already has aftermarket support, I'd have to change the front bumper though. Maybe a 350z if I could slap one of those Greddy Twin Turbo setups on.

to my understanding I read that the Evo boosts up to 19lbs from the factory, any input on this??????or anyone read anything different???????

Milan

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@May 28 2003, 03:02 PM
EV0 8 fo sho. It looks good, stock brembos, enkeis, recaros and a boosted 4G63 which already has aftermarket support, I'd have to change the front bumper though. Maybe a 350z if I could slap one of those Greddy Twin Turbo setups on.

you can get brembos on the 350z. its like the 'track' package or something.

out of those 4 i would get the EVO. it an awesome piece of machine.
i would never get the 350Z, it looks like a cheaper, uglier version of the G35 coupe. the G35 is sporty yet luxurious but the 350Z looks awkard and it is almost like a half-breed(G35 coupe mated with the Murano). hahahahahahaha

if i was going to spend $35K on a car i would definately consider the '03 Cobra. I used to work at Ford and I got a chance to drive them, a lot. It's a freakin adrenaline ride the entire time. It's tame when you're just cruising around town but when you decide to put your foot down it hauls some ass. I for one think the power delivery is very smooth, unlike a GT with a S/C on it. And you're not only paying $35K for the motor, it's the chasis, IRS, drivetrain, etc...the best Mustang i have ever driven...ummm, wait...no the 2nd best...the 2000 Cobra R was the best...a N/A 5.4L DOHC 32-valve V8 pushing 385hp is no freakin joke...and the exhaust note was sweet as can be...the only thing that sucks is that it has no back seats, no radio, no a/c and not really a usable trunk...and it eats gas like a mother...but i wouldn't pay $50K for it...

EDIT: i never actually drove the Cobra R, i was riding shotgun. The brother of the leasing manager bought it and he took me for a ride in it. He's a huge Mustang lover/collector and he new i was too so he decided to make me bust a nut by taking me on a ride in it.

Yeah I would go with a cobra personally. My favorite mustang so far of the 90/00's was the saleen 281/381. My friend's dad had a 281 and yeah, it was such a rush to ride in, you couldn't believe. I mean it didn't run that fast, maybe like a 13.3 or something stock but damn, that thing was a serious looker w/ all the saleen stuff and yeah with a little modifications it was easily into the low/mid 12's consistently. Gosh, I want one so badly, only like 30k + new then also.

out of all those i would choose the 350z, only b/c the rx-8 has a garbage engine(no low end power). i prefer performance over looks. and i base my decision on how it drives in autoX. for drag race i would choose the sti.

Back