Evo Vs Sti

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Damn, I was skimming through that thread and realized that they are in my area lol It's posted all over our local board (AV-Imports.com) Anyway, from they are saying on Av-Imports, a CHP officer said that they were infact racing and who ever was in the left lane (my guess is the STi) decided to make a right turn from the left lane for some stupid reason and the EVO smacked him...it's retards like this who give us a bad name. and all my friend's wonder why I don't go to the street races anymore, it's because dumb ass kids are going out there now. before it used to be 2 people racing, with maybe 3-4 people watching, you race and then go home. Now once 2 people are gonna race, everyone and their fuckng grandmother goes to watch and get in the way. and to top it off they were racing down a busy street. They were being too fucking lazy to drive 5 minutes out of town and find an empty road.

Oh and for the record, my area is the damn desert. You drive for 5 minutes and you're literally far from civilization so there is hardly any chance to come into contact with traffic. The people who have been out here in the Lancaster/Palmdale area know what i'm talking about.

Last edited:
They both lose. But Sti >>> Evo. because in the end, an evo is still a mitsubishi. (translate: rolling hunk of shit)

phyregod said:
They both lose. But Sti >>> Evo. because in the end, an evo is still a mitsubishi. (translate: rolling hunk of shit)
Until you actually compare the data between the two, then obviously the Evo > Sti :)

B16 said:
Until you actually compare the data between the two, then obviously the Evo > Sti :)

...and until you actually need to make use of the warranty, then STi > Evo.

I like the Evo a lot, but really it wasn't anything that special and I had more fun in the STi. This is comparing a 2006 STi vs 2006 Evo that I recently had a good amount of seat time in both.

Whatever the case, its just a few years away until both are getting six cylinder, turbo'd engines or complete engine overhauls - hopefully as well as suspension overall - and then it will be an all new beast again.

If I had a choice, I'd choose a H6 engine swapped + turbo'd WRX with a nice strut + spring combo or coilovers and swaybars.

Both cars need entirely new interiors IMO.

I suppose if you like to understeer you'll love the Sti. :) And for the record, Subaru is just as harsh as Mitsu on the warranty. The whole Evo warranty thing is just internet gossip.

B16 said:
I suppose if you like to understeer you'll love the Sti. :) And for the record, Subaru is just as harsh as Mitsu on the warranty. The whole Evo warranty thing is just internet gossip.

I'm not talking about warranties being voided, I'm talking about actually being able to use them. The Evo is more costly to begin with and doesn't have a company thats capable of standing behind its warranty. Also Evo's have that little thing of tending to burn oil for the duration of their lives.

And as far as understeer goes, if I was really going to worry about the suspension capabilities of the car - I would buy whiteline swaybars in adjustable form from 24-26mm and endlinks. Right there is ~$400 for an entirely different car. Megan Racing Coilovers for ~$900. You have a car that now outhandles the Mitsu which originally handled better. For $1300 you're accomplished the one of two edges that the much more expensive Mitsu has on the STi. The other being big numbers coming out of the Evo block because its been around for so long, but then again it also tends to burn oil.

Supposedly it has more torque, but I find that hard to believe when the STi has bigger displacement and the same VTEC/MiVEC/whatever the fuck you're going to call your cam/timing system.

I haven't seen the two dyno graphs though, when cars have equal mods. I know that the Evo responds much better to mods but you can also bring the STi to the same point for about the same overall cost so there's really not much of a difference there - just when you're spending the money.

As you can imagine, since I said about being hyped for the six cylinder, the most appealing parts of the car are a wide power band that starts with low end power thats useable for a daily driver, and handling capabilities. I'd love to have a stroked and built 2.8l block in my car right now or a H6. Thats the next project in mind for years down the line, if the body of the car is still good, and I'm still in love with it.

totalburnout said:
I'm not talking about warranties being voided, I'm talking about actually being able to use them. The Evo is more costly to begin with and doesn't have a company thats capable of standing behind its warranty. Also Evo's have that little thing of tending to burn oil for the duration of their lives.
Well, since I personally have never had to bring my car in for warranty work, I have friends who have on their 03's and never had a problem with them being covered. I don't know where you're finding your info from? My Evo does not seem to burn any oil between its 5,000 mile oil changes and I have 50,000 miles on the car in almost 2 years of owning it.

And as far as understeer goes, if I was really going to worry about the suspension capabilities of the car - I would buy whiteline swaybars in adjustable form from 24-26mm and endlinks. Right there is ~$400 for an entirely different car. Megan Racing Coilovers for ~$900. You have a car that now outhandles the Mitsu which originally handled better. For $1300 you're accomplished the one of two edges that the much more expensive Mitsu has on the STi. The other being big numbers coming out of the Evo block because its been around for so long, but then again it also tends to burn oil.
Of course, I'm obviously saying Evo > Sti because I own one. However put the same into the Evo and you have just as big of a monster. At the time I bought my car, the STi cost more than the Evo. Maybe they're cheaper where you're from? But it was a $4,000 difference for me between the two.

Supposedly it has more torque, but I find that hard to believe when the STi has bigger displacement and the same VTEC/MiVEC/whatever the fuck you're going to call your cam/timing system.
I believe the STi still has more torque (than the 03/04/05's that do not have mivec). I haven't seen a comparison with the 06 Evo 9, but I do know the 9 makes noticibly more power than the 8's.
I haven't seen the two dyno graphs though, when cars have equal mods. I know that the Evo responds much better to mods but you can also bring the STi to the same point for about the same overall cost so there's really not much of a difference there - just when you're spending the money.
werd

As you can imagine, since I said about being hyped for the six cylinder, the most appealing parts of the car are a wide power band that starts with low end power thats useable for a daily driver, and handling capabilities. I'd love to have a stroked and built 2.8l block in my car right now or a H6. Thats the next project in mind for years down the line, if the body of the car is still good, and I'm still in love with it.
I saw in some SCC mag where they did the Tribeca H6 swap and boosted into an STi, now that would be a hell of a setup. They didn't show too many pictures of the motor though, I wonder how far past the front axle it would hang more than the 2.5L H4?

Ive driven both the Evo 8 and the STi (05 and 06) and the little time that i have spent behind the wheel in the 06 STi makes me wonder how solid the Evo's lead on Subbie will stay. I need to find a place to drive an Evo IX (really drive, not the normal whimpy test drive). But if you compare an 05 Evo8 to an 05 STi, stock to stock, the Evo will win a time attack every time. Ive never driven a car that is so sure about its movements. The 06 seemed to have good handling, but i only got to push it a little bit. I never found the "edge" with that car because i was driving it at a dealership i didnt work for.

As for that race...the Evo got its shit pushed in. Its all KINDS of fucked up.

B16 said:
Well, since I personally have never had to bring my car in for warranty work, I have friends who have on their 03's and never had a problem with them being covered. I don't know where you're finding your info from? My Evo does not seem to burn any oil between its 5,000 mile oil changes and I have 50,000 miles on the car in almost 2 years of owning it.

Its become common knowledge that if the car isn't broken in properly it burns oil.

A buddy looked at one that had 13k on the clock and it had burned all the oil up, burned seals up, tranny was fubar'd and a couple other major things. Before the dealer could sell it he basically had to replace the driveline, but it was covered under warranty.

Of course, I'm obviously saying Evo > Sti because I own one. However put the same into the Evo and you have just as big of a monster. At the time I bought my car, the STi cost more than the Evo. Maybe they're cheaper where you're from? But it was a $4,000 difference for me between the two.

Loaded STi - $32,000
Loaded Evo - $40,000

I believe the STi still has more torque (than the 03/04/05's that do not have mivec). I haven't seen a comparison with the 06 Evo 9, but I do know the 9 makes noticibly more power than the 8's.

I was stating that I actually heard on a regular basis that Evo's make more torque, for whatever reason even though its less displacement - I guess a more efficient setup than the horizontal opposed four in the WRX or something - also it has forged internals so that may explain some of the numbers.

I saw in some SCC mag where they did the Tribeca H6 swap and boosted into an STi, now that would be a hell of a setup. They didn't show too many pictures of the motor though, I wonder how far past the front axle it would hang more than the 2.5L H4?
Perrin did the swap. I'll post the video when I search it on NASIOC.com in one second. It wasn't a pro-driver just Mr. Perrin or whatever his name is, himself driving the car and playing with it and laughing.

40 grand for an evo?!?!!? you've got to be kidding me. I think you have your numbers mixed up.

Seany-izzle said:
40 grand for an evo?!?!!? you've got to be kidding me. I think you have your numbers mixed up.
Naw man, Mitsu is actually pricing them near 40k. I saw one at my local dealer for 38k. Ask B what the going rate was on the EVO's when he bought his STi, the EVO's are even higher now.

The RS starts at 30k, the MR starts at 36k and that guy said "loaded" not the base models.

Last edited:
Seany-izzle said:
\

Nope, $38,000-$40,000 for a MR loaded.

*ding ding ding*

the guy before me hit the nail on the head.

and fucking shit, i just curbed my enkei rpf1 driving home at 8a.m. a little bit tipsy still. that rim is fucked on the lip.

Back