Evo Vs Sti

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea said:
RS is the 5spd model, GSR is a 6spd without some of the chasis and suspension mods of the MR.
No.

RS is the stripped 5spd model, manual windows, no radio, aluminum roof from the MR. GSR is also known as the "regular 8/9" which is also a 5spd, but has the power goodies (windows and locks). MR is the 6spd with aluminum roof, bbs wheels and bilstien shocks. Other than that the cars are identical, no differences in chassis either.

What price are you guys finding STi's at? I have a hard time believing they're that much cheaper than the regular Evo.

B16 said:
No.

RS is the stripped 5spd model, manual windows, no radio, aluminum roof from the MR. GSR is also known as the "regular 8/9" which is also a 5spd, but has the power goodies (windows and locks). MR is the 6spd with aluminum roof, bbs wheels and bilstien shocks. Other than that the cars are identical, no differences in chassis either.

What price are you guys finding STi's at? I have a hard time believing they're that much cheaper than the regular Evo.

...bbs wheels? I thought they had Enkei Evo's?

My friend has the regular 2006 Evo, non MR version, loaded with leather, sunroof, power everything, etc. He has the Evo's.

..and if I were to buy an Evo, I would never buy anything BUT the MR version. There's no comparison between the STi and the regular Evo, because the regular Evo is missing a gear and on the same level as the new 2.5L WRX.

Another sidenote, in NJ my friend got a loaded '06 STi - autodimming mirror, etc., etc. out the door for $32,000 after tax/title/registeration. He looked at the Evo as well and didn't think it was in the same class and it was another $6,000-$8,000 before tax/titleregisteration.

Some in the Tri-State area, for a daily driver, I would say that its the best bet to buy the STi. Cheaper, more displacement, reliable company behind the car, and it can be made better than the Evo when total costs are equal.

totalburnout said:
..and if I were to buy an Evo, I would never buy anything BUT the MR version. There's no comparison between the STi and the regular Evo, because the regular Evo is missing a gear and on the same level as the new 2.5L WRX.
lol, ok dude. the MR makes no more power than the regular evo. drive the 6 spd and the 5spd evo's and then come back and tell me what you think. This is comedy.

B16 said:
lol, ok dude. the MR makes no more power than the regular evo. drive the 6 spd and the 5spd evo's and then come back and tell me what you think. This is comedy.

Why is it comedy?

Since I told you my opinion of why the fuck I wouldn't buy a stripped Evo its comedy?

If I wanted 5 gears, I would stick in the WRX for a fuckload cheaper and be a hell of a lot better off than a Evo with that money into it. $22-$23k for a '06 WRX + $7-10k worth of mods. I mean for that kind of money, I could even have someone else do the work for me and buy brand new, name brand parts and still be ahead of the Evo.

My friends Evo = 5speed. Driven it. My friends '06 STi = 6speed. Driven it. I'll take the 6speed anyday for a daily driver.

because you like to make that extra shift just to drive arond town??? or would you just feel better about yourself if you had 6 gears instead of 5? :p

edit: Total, you say the Evo9 (non rs and non mr) have no chance vs the sti?? come on..:confused:

Last edited:
Yeah that didnt make to much sense. I would rather have a 5 speed for a daily driver. You have to love to shift when you drive the STi :p

ilikepie said:
Yeah that didnt make to much sense. I would rather have a 5 speed for a daily driver. You have to love to shift when you drive the STi :p
...or skip gears.

I would want the 6th gear for the highway and gas mileage for a daily driver.

You don't need to wind every gear out. You can take the car to 4k in 2nd and skip 3rd and go to 4th for a daily driver. You don't have to shift extra.

I didn't mean no chance performance wise, but there's no chance that I'd buy a 5spd Evo. Like I said, I rather the bigger 2.5L engine that comes stock in a 2006 WRX if I wanted 5spd. The swaybars, coilovers/struts+springs, exhaust, and engine management will put the car ahead of the Evo for cheaper, hell throw in a turbo upgrade and fmic for that price. Plus the new 5spd tranny for the WRX is much more durable and you don't have to worry about those bullshit problems anymore.

I'm very "bang for the buck" oriented. I don't care about spending money so much, as I care about a good deal. The Evo's allure comes from the options available (leather, sunroof), handling capabilities, and stock performance. The downside is the price. In my area, to me, it just doesn't seem sensible to go with the Evo. This is why the friend with more money than brains...parents...bought him the '06 Evo. The other one took the '06 STi route.

totalburnout said:
Why is it comedy?

Since I told you my opinion of why the fuck I wouldn't buy a stripped Evo its comedy?

If I wanted 5 gears, I would stick in the WRX for a fuckload cheaper and be a hell of a lot better off than a Evo with that money into it. $22-$23k for a '06 WRX + $7-10k worth of mods. I mean for that kind of money, I could even have someone else do the work for me and buy brand new, name brand parts and still be ahead of the Evo.

My friends Evo = 5speed. Driven it. My friends '06 STi = 6speed. Driven it. I'll take the 6speed anyday for a daily driver.
The ignorance in your comment is what was comedy. Stripped out Evo? what is stripped out about it? Oh well, what is all this arguing about anyways? Both are great cars, you are just highly misinformed. Have a nice day. :)

B16 said:
The ignorance in your comment is what was comedy. Stripped out Evo? what is stripped out about it? Oh well, what is all this arguing about anyways? Both are great cars, you are just highly misinformed. Have a nice day. :)

Uh stripped is stripped, as in no power options. As in RS.

How am I possibly ignorant for feeling that its senseless to buy the car in 5speed version. I don't think its the best buy for the money, and I'm sure there's many others out there that agree and go with other cars instead. Thats why its an open market.

I'm not ignorant for having an opinion and reasons behind why I support that opinion.

If you get butt hurt that I don't want an Evo in 5spd because its the car you drive, than I'm sorry. Otherwise, I don't know what the hell you're getting so defensive about.

Its .5L short, a gear short, and $10k too much in my area. Its that simple. I'd probably be in one if that weren't the case.

I'm not getting defensive, you obviously are with all your cussing towards me. I'm not butt hurt, I'm happy with the car I have and have no need to "defend" it. Just when people start spouting crap from their ass, I guess I feel I have a moral obligation to say something. You're right, it is an open market, which is a good thing. You have your opinion and thats great, I was just trying to set some things straight. But its not worth it, you're taking this way too personal.
Peace.

B16 said:
I'm not getting defensive, you obviously are with all your cussing towards me. I'm not butt hurt, I'm happy with the car I have and have no need to "defend" it. Just when people start spouting crap from their ass, I guess I feel I have a moral obligation to say something. You're right, it is an open market, which is a good thing. You have your opinion and thats great, I was just trying to set some things straight. But its not worth it, you're taking this way too personal.
Peace.

Tell

me

what

you

are

setting

straight,

please.

That I don't want a 5 speed Evo? What am I spouting from my butt? We've already accomplished the price establishment. Someone quoted $38k in this thread for a MR loaded, just like I said. Where am I spouting? I honestly don't know where in the hell you're coming from because I'm not "spouting anything".

totalburnout said:
So, the 2.5L WRX's make the same amount of power as the STi's now? And there is no comparison between the regular Evo and the STi because of the missing gear? Is this why you think the STi is much cheaper than the Evo, because you only compare to the MR because it has a 6spd and makes the regular or RS version obsolete? That makes no sense, unless you are REALLY that concerned about gas milage to have that 6th gear? Then neither car is for you, they're both gas hogs. Your buddy paid 32k for his STi after T/T/L, thats about 1k more than what I paid for my Evo. They are both very comparable and took me over a year to decide which one to get. Again, don't take this so personal man, you don't own either car anyways, so who cares?

yeah the whopping 7 hp is going to make it comparable with the evo.... so it has an extra litre... yeahhhh it HARDLY makes much power than the old wrx.

WRX is rated at 20 city, 26 highway.
STI is rated at 18 city, but we all know b gets 16, and 24 highway.
EVO is rated at 19 city and 25 highway.
EVO MR is rated at 18 city, and 24 highway.

Now sure you could milk each out to get better mpgs, but honestly, that extra will be marginally better at best. And if you were so cautious about money, you'd get the wrx regardless of how many gears or litres it has.

Plus the WRX TR which is the "stripped out version", which still comes with power windows, with a few options comes to 26K, and the other WRX will easily go over 27 with some options and after T/T/whatever. While the STI will easily go for 33-34 after a few optoins and the tax and shit. But this is stupid with the "same amount of money into it" argument, because it could turn into "i got a ef for 800 bucks, ill surely beat you wtih 35k of mods to it..." kind of thing. Im pretty sure we are talkin stock for stock.

Im with b16, its not that we are mad, but a lot of the things are kinda, i dunno.. not silly but.... off.

Anyways, peace love and happiness to all. <3

B16 said:
So, the 2.5L WRX's make the same amount of power as the STi's now? And there is no comparison between the regular Evo and the STi because of the missing gear? Is this why you think the STi is much cheaper than the Evo, because you only compare to the MR because it has a 6spd and makes the regular or RS version obsolete? That makes no sense, unless you are REALLY that concerned about gas milage to have that 6th gear? Then neither car is for you, they're both gas hogs. Your buddy paid 32k for his STi after T/T/L, thats about 1k more than what I paid for my Evo. They are both very comparable and took me over a year to decide which one to get. Again, don't take this so personal man, you don't own either car anyways, so who cares?

I'm not talking about what you paid for your Evo, I'm talking about prices in my area.

The way they are, you get more displacement, an extra gear with a bullet proof tranny, a company that will be around to be behind a warranty, subaru reputation and reliability, etc., etc.

And basically the new 2.5l WRX is a monster. The difference between it and the STi are the brembos, although the new WRX has Subaru 4pots/2pots which were used on the jdm sti, the suspension, tranmission, and turbo. If you don't care about the transmission, and you were going to upgrade the suspension anyway... and a turbo + injectors + pump + upgraded tmic = ~$1200 depending on what you're going to get. Add in engine management for $600, turbo back exhaust for $800-$1000, and a set of cheap coilovers or struts + springs for another $1,000.

You're in what.

22k + 1.2k + $600, + 1k = $24.8k and you have a car that outperforms the mitsu with a better reputation for reliability. Thats all I'm saying.

And yeah, at this point I would probably buy a 2.5l WRX over a '04+ STi, until they change things and eventually go to a h6 or crazy on the suspension.

Seany-izzle said:
yeah the whopping 7 hp is going to make it comparable with the evo.... so it has an extra litre... yeahhhh it HARDLY makes much power than the old wrx.

WRX is rated at 20 city, 26 highway.
STI is rated at 18 city, but we all know b gets 16, and 24 highway.
EVO is rated at 19 city and 25 highway.
EVO MR is rated at 18 city, and 24 highway.

Now sure you could milk each out to get better mpgs, but honestly, that extra will be marginally better at best. And if you were so cautious about money, you'd get the wrx regardless of how many gears or litres it has.

Plus the WRX TR which is the "stripped out version", which still comes with power windows, with a few options comes to 26K, and the other WRX will easily go over 27 with some options and after T/T/whatever. While the STI will easily go for 33-34 after a few optoins and the tax and shit. But this is stupid with the "same amount of money into it" argument, because it could turn into "i got a ef for 800 bucks, ill surely beat you wtih 35k of mods to it..." kind of thing. Im pretty sure we are talkin stock for stock.

Im with b16, its not that we are mad, but a lot of the things are kinda, i dunno.. not silly but.... off.

Anyways, peace love and happiness to all. <3
You're looking at bullshit numbers.

7hp according to the new SAE power ratings.

The car is tuned down. The difference between the WRX and STi now, power wise is the turbo, injectors, and intercooler. For the price difference for speed, its much more sensible to go with the WRX now, especially if you planned on upgrading the suspension anyway or turbo anyway and don't care about the gear.

Basically Subaru is going to either keep detuning the WRXs or bump the STi to a h6 motor or some huge power producing motor. The gap, between the two in 2006, has become far too small.

...and if you're paying 27k for a TR, you're getting as raped on that thing as we are on the Evo over here.

TR's have been out the door for $21-22k. A loaded WRX would be under $27k if you negiotiated.

B16 said:
I thought the Subaru's had many tranny problems.
I heard the WRX's had tranny problems and that the STi came with a tranny almost gernade proof but that's just hear-say, i'm not positive.

Back