Evo Vs Sti

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

why would the STi get bumped up to an H6? wouldnt that change its WRC class?

personally, being a mitsu owner, i would not buy an EVO. its just too bulky of a car, and yes i have driven one. AWD 4g/5g coupe FTW!

on the other hand, i HATE WRX/STi's. sure they look nice. ive driven and worked on a few, and i just cant stand them.

honestly, im not sure what i would pick in this price range, nor do i even KNOW what is in this price range.

The (USDM) STi is already out of WRC (and other rally) class having a 2.5L instead of 2.0L motor.

ilikepie said:
I think your wrong there. They do run 2.0L engines so they can race.

He's not wrong.

The USDM STi, just as he pointed out, is not WRC eligible in the same class as the 2.0L JDM STi.

With that said, the 2.0L JDM STi with the closed deck setup, forged internals, and a 1-2k higher rev limitation, version 8 block is used. It produces about the same power, but through higher revs.

...and I'm saying that they're going to *NEED* a h6 to compete in the near future. The 2.5L WRX is brembos, 6spd tranny, turbo, injectors, intercooler, and a cheap suspension away from the STi.

Eliminate the 6speed tranny, if you don't care about the 6th gear. Write an Evo 16g turbo off as $800, injectors $500, intercooler $600 depending on what name brand, ebay is much cheaper and works as well since its huge, and suspension $1000. Basically you can buy a new WRX, and outperform the STi for ~$3000 in virtually all aspects.

There's really not that huge of gap anymore, and thats seen by the new Stage 2 WRX's destroying stock STi's. The cars are practically identical with the really expensive differences being the 6speed and brembos. (4pots/2pots work nearly as good for a street car though - upgraded pads, fluid, and lines and you're virtually the same).

This is why the S203 limited is coming out to America in 2007. Its a toned down version of the STi in terms of looks. A nice front lip, no huge shopping cart wing, and it has luxuries like leather and big ass rims. They're trying to differentiate the STi from the WRX some more.

Mark my words, eventually the difference will be a H4 in the WRX vs a H6 in the STi.

...oh and the next redesign was rumored to be as a hatchback.

TurboMirage said:
why would the STi get bumped up to an H6? wouldnt that change its WRC class?

personally, being a mitsu owner, i would not buy an EVO. its just too bulky of a car, and yes i have driven one. AWD 4g/5g coupe FTW!

on the other hand, i HATE WRX/STi's. sure they look nice. ive driven and worked on a few, and i just cant stand them.

honestly, im not sure what i would pick in this price range, nor do i even KNOW what is in this price range.

Both cars are fat pigs.

I 100% agree with what your idea with the Mirage was, just didn't like how you executed it.

Ideally a ~2500lb bulletproof, awd + turbo car. Thats what I've always searched for. Nimble and fast. Even more ideal is if you have differentials where you can swap between RWD and AWD for good conditions and inclement weather.

But to do what I would want to do, you would have to completely strip the car and basically build it from the ground up. I wouldn't want a chinsy ass interior in a car like that - I already dislike my WRX interior. Dynomat the shit out of it, new seats, new carpets, custom dash and gauges, new trim, the whole 9.

You are stupid if you think you can compare the WRX to the STi. Thats like comparing night and day. There are a ton of differences. To name a few... 6 Speed tranny, DCCD, Brembo Brakes. 17inch BBS forged wheels with W rated tires, upgraded intruments, IC water spray, upgraded IC, HID headlights, bigger scoop, cooler front bumber, bigger wing, side skirts, upgraded ABS, inverted struts, stiffer suspension, auto climate control, different exhaust, bigger turbo... ETC... Plus the STi blows the WRX tranny away. You are way better off spending the extra 7k than buying a wrx.

WTF? you all have been arguing about the same stupidass OPINIONS for the last 2 pages. this shit is already way the hell off topic and is going nowhere...

totalburnout said:
Both cars are fat pigs.

I 100% agree with what your idea with the Mirage was, just didn't like how you executed it.

Ideally a ~2500lb bulletproof, awd + turbo car. Thats what I've always searched for. Nimble and fast. Even more ideal is if you have differentials where you can swap between RWD and AWD for good conditions and inclement weather.

But to do what I would want to do, you would have to completely strip the car and basically build it from the ground up. I wouldn't want a chinsy ass interior in a car like that - I already dislike my WRX interior. Dynomat the shit out of it, new seats, new carpets, custom dash and gauges, new trim, the whole 9.

not so much bulletproof, but a 4g mirage coupe with the evo AWDtrain and motor can be built for ~7K total cost, including the cost of the car. there you go. 2300lb awd turbo car.

So anyways. The STi is better than the Evo... End of discussion

ilikepie said:
You are stupid if you think you can compare the WRX to the STi. Thats like comparing night and day. There are a ton of differences. To name a few... 6 Speed tranny, DCCD, Brembo Brakes. 17inch BBS forged wheels with W rated tires, upgraded intruments, IC water spray, upgraded IC, HID headlights, bigger scoop, cooler front bumber, bigger wing, side skirts, upgraded ABS, inverted struts, stiffer suspension, auto climate control, different exhaust, bigger turbo... ETC... Plus the STi blows the WRX tranny away. You are way better off spending the extra 7k than buying a wrx.

Just because you have an STi, don't be hurt that I compared the NEW WRX to it.

I would probably buy a '06 WRX over a '04 STi.

You basically mentioned everything I did, atleast twice in this thread, with a few more cosmetic things and bullshit difference. Whoopty-fucking-doo. If you're going to mod the car and were going to swap the suspension out anyway, its not a big deal.

Stock for stock of course the Sti > WRX but now the WRX can be modded to be equal to the STi for less, if you're a smart shopper. Look at any '06 WRX thats a stage 2 with a cheap set of megan racing coilovers, or sti pink springs and struts. Bam, out performs the stock STi for very cheap.

IMO, each has their own quirks, advantages, and disadvantes and so on.

For me, the major fact was price and the dealership. There are no good mistu dealers around here. But there's a great suby place.

When i was shopping, I paid 32,800 for my sti loaded minus compass rear-view option, and that inclues extended 100k warranty, freee oil changes for 100k, and 60% off major service intervals (15k, 30k, etc)

Base non mr evo 8's were selling for 36+. probably woul dhave walked out around 38-39k all said and done.

having put 15k miles on my sti in the year and a half that i've owned it, I can say this about it.

If you are having understeer issues, you aren't driving it right.
The first couple times I autox'ed with it, I was pushing with it too and was 4 seconds off pace of the fastest stock sti that was there.

Over time, I have figured out how to dial out the understeer. The car pulls into the turn when you're on the throttle, and fades out when decel is in swing.

you want to be off the brakes and in full decel going into the corner, and just before the apex, get back on it so it tucks into the inside of the apex.
sounds easy on "paper" but its tricky to get just right.

it really is a hard car to drive right. I'm still a better driver with a civic than with the sti.

is the sti better than the evo? no.
is the evo better than the sti? no.
are they equal? no.

each car has it's quirks. and NEVER take what a mag editor writes about it, or the times they pull off with it with anything more than a grain of salt.
it's taken me forever to get comfrotbale with it--- let alone fast with it.
a mag editor on a weekend- no matter how good the driver is- could ever truely figure out each car's quirks like that.

04 sti's have issues- what first model year car doesn't? NEVER buy a first year model issue. ever. that's like rule number one.
they fixed so much stuff in 05... like 100 items or some shit.

the DCCD is useless for pavement. I played with it. full lock, full rear, in the middle, and i always got my best times with it on auto. full lock is great for playing in the snow or rallying on dirt, and perhaps setting it to full rear will help for drag racing... but drag racing is gay and who gives a fuck about that.

for mid 30's, nothing else really compares.

the 350z is a totally different car....
can't get a decent bimmer in that price new....
the s2000.... not even close to the same class...

awd, around 300hp, sports car: there are only these two cars in this class right now. and they will always be the "mustang vs camaro" battle.
and just like them, the mustang is better than the camaro in a lot of areas, but the camrao is better than the mustang in other areas.

there is no true winner.

only people who own one are the winners because they got a nice peppy car for a decent price and enjoy driving them. isn't that what it's all about, anyway?

ilikepie said:

Why did you post that link. The hard data, and my driving feel of the both cars says the Evo is just a better car (than the 05 STi...i REALLY REALLY WANNA DRIVE A NEW ONE!!!, but i quit my job...soooo, no more test drives for reiko)

yeah, i tend to agree too...the STi is definitely a better DD car. If I only drove on the street and never went to the Track (which, thanks to Mike, Ive been doing more often since the lude is fixed), i would definitely like the STi more. But now i want something tat can function as a DD and still kick some ass at Motorsports Ranch.

Good, I'm here to get everyone addicted to open tracking like its crack! :)

think of it like this though, if the stig didn't fuck up and go off the track 3 times, chances are he lost more than 1.5 seconds in those maneuvers :p

Back