Ew You Reek of Poor People

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

:werd: everyone makes at least minimum wage.. difference is the servers have to claim their tips.. well, at least the credit card ones.. based on the amount of tips they make they are taxed more.. thus leading to a smaller paycheck that comes out to $2.xx/hr.. if they suck and dont get tipped, they still get their minimum wage check.. if they're good and make tips, they get taxed the shit out of.. lol ..

i used to be a busser, i loved it.. no direct customer interaction, no reported tips, full minimum wage check.. i was bringing in $1600/month working 25hrs/wk.. making more tips than the servers.. lol.. $40-50 per day over their $17/day.. reason being.. i worked my shift alone for lunch so i didnt have to split anything.. i got tipped from 8 different people, including the bar tender (whom i took the best care of, because they make the most tips)

That's one of the problems. Most people don't realize how much of the actual tip the server gets to keep. So people think its ok to just tip ten percent. After tipping the busser and the bar tender that ten percent dissapears quick. I learned early on that being a bartender is far better than serving.

I use to handle claims for Outback....i'm sure this is not the usual case but i recieved this guy wages statement for the 52 weeks of wages he earned prior to his date of injury(he slipped and fell on wet floor hurt his back). he made just over 50,000 a year as a waiter at outback. that's allot of money for that kind of job.

people are always going to go out and eat.. if you're good at it, you can make bank.. i used to work fine dining also as a back waiter.. made $200 in one night on a single party.. of course they were my job for the night.. i can only imagine what the waiter made.. $3500 minimum for parties there.. downtown La Jolla.. they had a $20k bottle of wine in the cellar, lol

I know a couple career bartenders. They make very good money.

Also have a college buddy that sells shoes at Nordy's. Made supposedly $80k last year.

people are always going to go out and eat.. if you're good at it, you can make bank.. i used to work fine dining also as a back waiter.. made $200 in one night on a single party.. of course they were my job for the night.. i can only imagine what the waiter made.. $3500 minimum for parties there.. downtown La Jolla.. they had a $20k bottle of wine in the cellar, lol
La Jolla kicks ass...

servers everywhere in the us make minimum wage. it's required by law for an employer to pay minimum wage to a server if they don't make at least the minimum in tips.
I understand what you are saying but that doesn't really matter. If you assume people tip an average of 15%, ceteris paribus, the server making $7.75 + tips in California is doing better than the server making $2.25 in Ohio...of course you could argue cost of living is a factor but...

And you could also argue that anyone doing anything in California is doing better than anyone doing anything in Ohio but that's an entirely different realm...and I've lived in Ohio so I don't want to hear it from you buckeyes...I know

I'm not going to pay you $5 if I only spend $15. Makes no sense. It's a business it is YOUR JOB to TAKE CARE OF THE CUSTOMER. YOU ARE WORKING. It is your job to serve the customer with a smile on your face no matter how shitty of a day or week or whatever you're having. Leave your own personal bullshit at home. No one gives a fuck.

I work in customer service as well, no one gives a fuck how my day is going and I don't expect them to. I do my best to make them happy and give them what I want, it's far harder and more tedious work than yours. I NEVER get tips. Only smart ass remarks and other bullshit.
I'm a great server. I consistently have people going up to my managers and complimenting me. I make great money. I make sure that anyone I come in contact with is better off then when I found them. I haven't had a complaint in a LONG time. But I expect to get paid.

So you tip 15%. On a $15 check that's $2.25. That is not worth my time. ESPECIALLY if there are other customers waiting to sit down. It's not about the fact that you spent $15, it's about what I can make with the table you're sitting at. Time/Value of money. If a table spends $100, I expect a good tip. If they sit there for 2 and a half hours chit chatting after they're done, I expect a better one. My money is rarely made of off one table. It's made turning tables over. In a night I generally have 15-20 checks in a 3-4 table station. That's what makes me money. Eat, have a great time, sit and enjoy some coffee for a few, and get out. You want to sit and chat, go to Starbucks.

Understand, that as a server, my tips are my wage. In the entirety of a night, I will make well over minimum wage, so getting stiffed on a $100 check is just $15-20 I lost. Not only that, I tip out 3-4% of sales. So that table actually cost me MONEY, not just my time. Other places the tip out is even more. Nothing personal about it. I provided a service. A great one. My wage isn't built into the check. Pay me.

I could write a book on this stuff.

you should tell every table you have that you expect a minimum of $15 or 15% whichever is higher, and see how that works out for you.

I'm a great server. I consistently have people going up to my managers and complimenting me. I make great money. I make sure that anyone I come in contact with is better off then when I found them. I haven't had a complaint in a LONG time. But I expect to get paid.

So you tip 15%. On a $15 check that's $2.25. That is not worth my time. ESPECIALLY if there are other customers waiting to sit down. It's not about the fact that you spent $15, it's about what I can make with the table you're sitting at. Time/Value of money. If a table spends $100, I expect a good tip. If they sit there for 2 and a half hours chit chatting after they're done, I expect a better one. My money is rarely made of off one table. It's made turning tables over. In a night I generally have 15-20 checks in a 3-4 table station. That's what makes me money. Eat, have a great time, sit and enjoy some coffee for a few, and get out. You want to sit and chat, go to Starbucks.

Understand, that as a server, my tips are my wage. In the entirety of a night, I will make well over minimum wage, so getting stiffed on a $100 check is just $15-20 I lost. Not only that, I tip out 3-4% of sales. So that table actually cost me MONEY, not just my time. Other places the tip out is even more. Nothing personal about it. I provided a service. A great one. My wage isn't built into the check. Pay me.

I disagree. I understand what you're saying but that doesn't make you right. I'm a tech for Mercedes-Benz. By your logic, if a vehicle is taking up my bay because the client hasn't decided if they want to proceed with the repairs or client is in a meeting and can't be reached at that time, (after I have finished diagnosing the vehicle) they should be still getting charged during that waiting period because I could have another client in that bay. Sweet, i'll take another 1 hour diag pay. That's $124. SCORE!!! (I don't get the full $124 but you know what I mean) Also, if I feel you're not here to get expensive work done, then you're not, and i'll use your words here, worth my time. Like I said, I do see your point but it's just not reasonable...

Last edited:

I've never been a server, but I totally agree with you and where you're coming from. Hence my previous post, unfortunately most people don't think things through completely.

Also, as a tech you get paid book time for your work, so if a 3 hour job takes you 45 minutes you still get 3 hours pay.

I get you and I get that you're a great server, I completely understand that. But at the end of the day, you're still a server, I am still a customer. It is your job to serve me even if I tip you 15%. If I was a customer that didn't tip at all, it's still your job to serve me. It's not like you could just ask me to leave because you recognize that I don't tip. I agree on customers not staying for hours and hours, but I'm here to eat my meal, have a couple of drinks and leave. My tip is going to be a negligible amount of the total check because I don't think your job is that hard, (I'm not referring directly to you, just servers in general). I don't think that asking me for what I'd like for dinner, how I want it cooked, and what I want to drink is that difficult. It doesn't take much intelligence to refill my coke or water glass either. To me, that isn't worth much more than 15% my check. If I spent $20 and you do a phenomenal job taking care of me, I'll thrown down an extra $5 on the check, but that is MAX.

I seee what Mr. Slush is saying. I suppose whether it is acceptable is a function of the restaurant and the time of day. If it is a busy Friday night at Outback, moving the tables is important for everyone and a customer that stays longer, should be considerate of that fact and pay more. However, if it is a slow night at a local pub, and I'm sitting for 3 hours nursing a beer or two, I'm not going to tip out $50 just because I sat there forever...

I get you and I get that you're a great server, I completely understand that. But at the end of the day, you're still a server, I am still a customer. It is your job to serve me even if I tip you 15%. If I was a customer that didn't tip at all, it's still your job to serve me. It's not like you could just ask me to leave because you recognize that I don't tip. I agree on customers not staying for hours and hours, but I'm here to eat my meal, have a couple of drinks and leave. My tip is going to be a negligible amount of the total check because I don't think your job is that hard, (I'm not referring directly to you, just servers in general). I don't think that asking me for what I'd like for dinner, how I want it cooked, and what I want to drink is that difficult. It doesn't take much intelligence to refill my coke or water glass either. To me, that isn't worth much more than 15% my check. If I spent $20 and you do a phenomenal job taking care of me, I'll thrown down an extra $5 on the check, but that is MAX.
You bring up some great points. Froma labor economics perspective, the job is worth very little and the individual is easily replaceable. Replaceability is a major component of a market wage.

Also, as a tech you get paid book time for your work, so if a 3 hour job takes you 45 minutes you still get 3 hours pay.

No I don't. I don't flat rate like most Techs do. Pay plan varies by dealership.I have an hourly rate plus bonus levels. Once I hit 30 flagged hours, that's my first bonus level and it's $100. Every additional 5 flagged ours from that point is $100. So in essence, it's like my "tip"By Slush's logic, if a vehicle is taking up my bay, they should be paying me and helping me get to my next bonus levels/"tips"Like I said, I do see where he is coming from. It's just unreasonable to expect a GREAT tip on a $15 tab just because you did a good job. Should you expect a tip, of course. But to try and almost demand where that amount should start is unreasonable.

I work in the paint business, I am replaceable, but it takes far more practice to properly match a paint color. Most of the rest of the work I do is easy, the most difficult part is really dealing with difficult customers that literally no matter what are unsatisfied whiny bitches. Retail customers are typically the worst, no I can't match a color if you don't bring me a sample, no I don't keep paint records for something you purchased 10 years ago, and no I'm not a decorator I'm not going to pick every single fucking color for every single fucking room, I don't have to live with the colors you do.

However, I cannot say any single one of these things, I grin and bear it and do the best that I can to help AND with a smile. Do I get a tip? Yea, maybe... but it's something more along the lines of, why are your printers so old? Why don't you have more colors to choose from? Why are your prices so expensive? Why don't you have anything besides quarts, gallons, or five gallon buckets?

DO you have that paint with the primer in it, cuz you know 1 coat of it will magically cover and have a nice even appearance.

I hate when I get take out somewhere and they are looking at the tip line to see if a tip is left. Why am I going to tip to get take out. I don't tip the guy behind the counter at taco bell, why would I tip you for doing the same job.
The worst tip for someone I ever left was for a serve was me writing pay attention to your customers instead of talking to your co workers you lazy bitch. She saw me going to other tables to get ketchup and to get silverware and just ignored me. No refill on my drink either. I was traveling for work and it was the last thing I needed after I long day.

DO you have that paint with the primer in it, cuz you know 1 coat of it will magically cover and have a nice even appearance.

I hate when I get take out somewhere and they are looking at the tip line to see if a tip is left. Why am I going to tip to get take out. I don't tip the guy behind the counter at taco bell, why would I tip you for doing the same job.
The worst tip for someone I ever left was for a serve was me writing pay attention to your customers instead of talking to your co workers you lazy bitch. She saw me going to other tables to get ketchup and to get silverware and just ignored me. No refill on my drink either. I was traveling for work and it was the last thing I needed after I long day.

Lmao, we both know there is no such thing as a paint and primer in one. I think we should start a paint thread. Could be fun. Lets start it in NWS though.

Wow that is some terrible service right there, I've never heard of service that terrible before!

Lmao, we both know there is no such thing as a paint and primer in one. I think we should start a paint thread. Could be fun. Lets start it in NWS though.

Wow that is some terrible service right there, I've never heard of service that terrible before!
That's exactly the kind of thing that happens to my wife and I on a regular basis...I;ve gotten up and refilled my own drinks, pulled silverware off other tables, left in the middle of meals...the list goes on...

Back