1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ex tachometer gsr swap... it's not accurate

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by 9000_red, Feb 28, 2007.

1. 9000_red

9000_red Junior Member

i have a 93 civic dx coupe, i swapped in an ex gauge cluster, and did a gsr swap. my first time out, i hit the rev limiter at 6500 rpm, (knowing that was going to happen cuz it didn't seem accurate) vtec was working with no problem, no cels. can the sohc tach not keep up, or is it malfunctioning? any thoughts?

2. killercannible

killercannible Senior Member

Does it sound like it is reving higher than what the tach shows or does the engine correspond with the tach. You should be able to match the sound with an rpm.

3. 9000_red

9000_red Junior Member

it is definately reving faster than it shows. vtec switch is audible, and then rev limiter. if i 'shift by ear', rather than checking the gauge, it's fine. i did a second gear pull, just looking at the tach, and hit the rev limiter, the tach showed 6500 rpm, i know it was at least 8k. it must be a defunct tach, but lower rpms and idle, it is accurate, and cruising on the highway it's fine. i don't know anyone with an eg/gsr swap, much less someone who's using the stock cluster. i'm thinking of getting another one if someone can confirm it's accurate using an ex or similar cluster with a b-series swap.

4. stedscivic

stedscivic Senior Member

did you have the cluster in before the swap? if so did it work fine with the other engine? i have an ex with a b18c and it is right on with no problems

5. 9000_red

9000_red Junior Member

my civic's a dx, and didn't have a tach. i did the cluster swap after the engine swap.

6. juicedz

juicedz Member

any chance the needle is off. Just a thought. What does it show at idle? High/low?

7. 9000_red

9000_red Junior Member

at low rpms, it seems to be accurate. idle is at 850, i cruise 75mph on the interstate and i'm just under 4k. but, if i downshift and go, it doesn't keep up. i'm going to put my old dash tach back in and see if it's more accurate, then i may just run my dx gauges (no tach) and use my dash tach, even though it's kinda ricey

8. JDM_EK9R

JDM_EK9R all motor

try hacking the tach wire from the cluster and wire it directly to the coil. that should correct your problem and you can keep your cluster.

9. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

stock clusters are known to lag behind. thats one of the main reasons people install an aftermarket. i bet if you tested with an aftermarket it would work fine.

10. 9000_red

9000_red Junior Member

i'll try the coil hookup, that may actually work. thanks for the input guys!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted