Exact processes for tuning/chipping ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mdixonjam

I always see people speaking of tuning their engines and then burning their newly created files to a chip.

What I don't understand is how do you make adjustments to your fuel and timing while tuning?

Take for example Uberdata - do you have your laptop connected to the ECU and the Uberdata software overrides the stock ECU chip or is there a special chip you use at the time of tuning to modify your settings and then burn it to your final chip?

I don't fully understand. Can someone help me please!

I want to understand how I "tune" on the fly then burn the files to a chip. What is the process and what equipment/software is used at what point ?

Thanks.

you first need to socket your honda's ecu to accept a chip. basically, you solder in a "port" which will hold the chip that you will burn, and cut a jumper to direct the data path to clircle around the stock map and hit the chip's map.

uberdata/ems systems allow you to set maps.

this is a sample ignition map:

techboostgsrignbefore.gif

nothing is tuned on the fly. however, there is a device called a "romulator" which allows you to mimic this.

basically, you plug this unit into the chip socket on the ecu.

do a pull
make a change
publish the changes down to the romulator...

ready to go again.

all this does is saves the hassel of burning a new chip between every pull/change.

you can get all kinds of stuff at http://moates.net/

so much shit on that site.....what is needed for obd0 tuning...ie what would i need to buy if my ecu was already chiped and all i wanted was onboard (live) tuning via laptop......

an ostrich, or a romulator. I just bought a chipped pm6 with datalogging board installed on it from a guy on H-T and pgmfi.org username of xenocron, as well as an ostrich from the moates site. Will probably be purchasing an LM-1 wideband today, and looking for a cheap laptop to do my tuning on. If any of yall want to let an old p3 laptop go that has usb and a serial port for like 150-200 range lemme know. sorry for the partial threadjack.

well the ostrich is $175 do i just plug it in were the chip goes?

i dont mean to jack the thread but i think these are things youll want to know also ...

Originally posted by formby@Apr 6 2005, 10:25 AM
well the ostrich is $175 do i just plug it in were the chip goes?

i dont mean to jack the thread but i think these are things youll want to know also ...
[post=483672]Quoted post[/post]​

the ostrich plugs in a socket where the old oem eprom was. You need to have your ecu socketed to use the ostrich or romulator

Back