Exactly what the cable companies do not want!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Buying an optical drive only guarantees you will spend more money buying media for it to play.

not with netflix... almost all the good shows are available to rent via dvd/blue ray and some are up for streaming already (all the hbo, showtime, etc series).

Ive realized anything i could desire to watch is available digitally, for less money [no money?] via the internet.
right. netflix is $14 a month. i have access to FAR more things than ondemand could ever offer.

i enjoy my $12 basic cable bill and my $14 netflix bill while others pay upwards of $120 a month for digital cable/on demand.

I hooked up my laptop to my tv, but it looses a LOT of quality (laptop video card isn't great, plus its analog connection). with this player, it ensures me i can play everything disc wise, or stream wise, and all via hdmi.

Did you try netflix HD streaming? Anytime I stream anything its instant. ZERO waiting.
yeah, i've watched about 10 movies streaming on my computer. it rocks with the 30" monitor and my studio monitors as my speakers. i just need to get a futon or something in my office. lol

B if u share a netflix acct then its less than $14 per month :)

you can build a very cheap and very capable media center now. for instance:

-AMD Phenom II X4 940 + Biostar 790GB = $199.99
-ATi Radeon 4850HD = $80.00
-1TB WD Black Caviar = $89.00
-4 GB OCZ DDR2 = $30.00
-450watt Corsair VX = $40.00
-Samsung DVDRW = $23.00

So for about $463.00 you have a full fledge quad core PC that can play Crysis, Blu-Ray, etc etc etc.... You can even go way cheaper still with just a dual core and basic 30 gfx card that will shave another $100+ off the grand total. Just get a demonoid account and get all the free movies you want :ph34r:

$23 dvd player that plays blue ray??? what am i missing here...

no, i meant to include download blu-ray content :-D. but i think those drives ar elike 100 total? for the players that is.

lol Blue-ray content is pretty close to RAW format + editing= GB per EPISODE. That is pretty much it is since memory and the format has increase its standards to better quality. Ever measure how much they have done. But I still like having the disc. Even though digital is fun. The streaming is getting better since it more effective of pre-loading content. with computers. there are just endless things you can do for them. Plus they last a long time in investment vs standalone single functions.

sorry aznwokz i have no idea what youre trying to say besides computers are more efficient and last longer than standalone top boxes. and streaming videos are getting better.

regardless, storage is SUPER cheap now. 1tb can be had for under $90 and 500gb can be had for around $50. that should be enough room to hold plenty of dvds and a few blue rays that have been ripped and compressed. and storage is just gonna keep getting cheaper. theyre moving to 2tb drives now and itll just keep going frm there.

i myself dont have a hi-def tv but sticking with .h264 encoded videos have been damn good still. now hentai looks even better!

Back