1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exedy clutches BLOW

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by asmallsol, Apr 5, 2004.

1. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

I am driving in this naighborhood, pull away from a yeild sign, then all of a sudden, my car starts to stumble. It feels like I applied the clutch, held the gas at a constant rate, then let the clutch go, all in a matter of a second or so. It was doing this in first and second for maybe five mintunes. Revs at the time were between 2.5k and 4k RPMs. Clutch sliped. It did it for like a mile on and off (maybe sliped 4 times or so).

So, 3,500 miles after instal, it is already starting to slip. With my old clutch with 150K+ from my old d-series, never slipped once. This POS slips in 3,500 miles with no drag racing, road racing, or autocrossing. Looks like one more then I have to deal with. My list is growing :(

and before anyone says anything, YES I did install it right, YES I did trq everything to spec, YES I did clean everything up with brake clean before I put everything back toghter, NO i never touched the disc with my hands

EDIT YES I did do a 500 mile brake in.

2. NotUrAverage_Si

NotUrAverage_Si Senior Member

check the clutch disc, call exedy and see if they have any kind of warrenty.

3. Slammed90Lude

Slammed90Lude Senior Member

yeah that's bullshit dude, i thought their products were top of the line- maybe you just got a bum disc?

4. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

You must have gotten a bad disc. Mine is top fuggin notch.

5. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

theirs shit is all good, honestly.

give them a ring and see what they will do

6. SixtySecondAssassin

SixtySecondAssassin Senior Member

ive had zero problems with mine and i drive the fuck out of my car. did you get the 'racing' disk or the factory replacement?

7. bklyneg

bklyneg Senior Member

i think theres a bunch of bootleg exedy stuff goin around

8. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

General conscinses doesn't change here, mines been taking a beating for several thousand miles. Also they make clutches for many OEM cars, including Honda.

9. cws13

cws13 Senior Member

:werd: I have had nothing but great experience with them and never had an issue with one or a customers. You might have gotten a bad egg, or you beat your car like it owes you $. :lol:

10. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

my clutch is good to. the install guide actual recommends readjusting the clutch after 750 miles of breaking it in. not 500. also, did you resurface your flywheel? they have that in bold print also.

11. LudeBoy

LudeBoy Slave to the EF

Same problem here. I took it real easy on mine for about a 1000 miles. It was also installed correctly. My stock OEM clutch held much better. I guess you get what you pay for.

12. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

didn't have to, I bought a flywheel when I bought the clutch.

13. ssl2k

ssl2k Senior Member

I don't have an exedy clutch but i have a low grade rebuilt stock replacement clutch (2nd generation) running on a d16a6 w/ minor addons(i/e...no h yet ;) but for the first 350 miles it ran great. then i found that whenever i'd take off it would sorta bog out and it didn't seem like there was any power. found that adjusting the cluthc cable was the issue that it had been just a bit tight not allowing the cluthc to completely settle. I was going down the freeway, 70mph @ 4500rpm in 5th gear which was extremely high ('91 crx si, d16a6 w/ '90 civic ex tranny, the gearing is longer) well I adjusted the clutch a bit and went back out ont he highway and found myself in a better rpm range of just over 3200.

having your flywheel resurfaced is also important otherwise after 3500miles on a bad flywheel say bye bye new clutch.

is your cluthc cable adjusted correctly?

did you clean your flywheel off with a waterbased cleaner like mean green or anything if suggested by the company? mine was coated with this oilly film and had to be cleaned otherwise it would cause disc chattering and other problems.

peace

14. ssl2k

ssl2k Senior Member

sorry, didn't see the last post. scratch the flyhweel question.

15. legutki

legutki Senior Member

They have a warranty ;)

16. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

i'm using exedy as well... no problems thus far and i didn't even clean anything when putting it back in (i think massey did for me though when we were doing the swap this last weekend). but i've had that clutch in since last june on the B16. i say its a manufacture defect, call them up and get a replacement. just sucks you have to pull the tranny again, i hate doing clutches...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted