Exedy Vs ACT

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CiViC_SOHC

Ok so im going to turbo my D16Z6 that came out of a delsol Si. I need to know what kind of clutch I would need. I am looking for about a 221ft/lbs that way when I start doing everything big I dont' have to worry about it. I was wondering what you guys think. I have found on ebay that you can get a stage one exedy clutch and flywheel for $551. I havn't heard bad about both clutches I heard its just personal preference. Is this true or is one better then the other? Thanks for the info.
-mike

Quoted post[/post]]
Ok so im going to turbo my D16Z6 that came out of a delsol Si. I need to know what kind of clutch I would need. I am looking for about a 221ft/lbs that way when I start doing everything big I dont' have to worry about it. I was wondering what you guys think. I have found on ebay that you can get a stage one exedy clutch and flywheel for $551. I havn't heard bad about both clutches I heard its just personal preference. Is this true or is one better then the other? Thanks for the info.
-mike

I wouldn't buy Exedy. My bro's teg has an Exedy and first gear doesn't pop in smooth. You have to force it in. Other than first gear, it works fine. I'm certain that it's the pressure plate because I've done a couple clutch jobs and I'm sure I installed it right. When I installed an ACT on my car, I haven't had any problems with it. It works great. Get ACT.

go with act, and if your boosting the car don't get a light flywheel, the mass of a stock flywheel will put more load on the motor and spool the turbo qiucker then if you had a light fly.

It's all personal opinion I say go with the ACT HDSS I have heard bad things about Exedy, but again it's all personal opinion.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
-mike

I wouldn't buy Exedy. My bro's teg has an Exedy and first gear doesn't pop in smooth. You have to force it in. Other than first gear, it works fine.
that's a tranny problem, has absolutely nothing to do with what clutch he has.

as far as Exedy VS ACT goes, I have been running my Stage 1 Exedy for 30K plus miles and it's still going strong. I never even broke it in. Just installed it and started ripping threw gears.

and for the record, no clutch company goes by "stages" they go by street, street/strip, race only, ECT... it's just easier to explain when you call them stages.

Both are a great choice.

People who have problems with the exedy clutches are people who didnt install them properly.

Quoted post[/post]]
Both are a great choice.

People who have problems with the exedy clutches are people who didnt install them properly.

I installed it properly. Like I said, I've done clutch installs before and never had that problem. I can assure you that it definitely isn't the tranny. The tranny was working perfectly before the clutch install. I've even taken the car to professional shops and they agree that the Exedy pressure plate is faulty. There's no way I'm going to buy Exedy again. A clutch job takes a lot of time and I don't wanna tear the tranny down again just to replace a part that should have been working 100% the first time. I've never heard anything bad about ACT so do whatever you like. It's your car and money.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Both are a great choice.

I installed it properly. Like I said, I've done clutch installs before and never had that problem. I can assure you that it definitely isn't the tranny. The tranny was working perfectly before the clutch install. I've even taken the car to professional shops and they agree that the Exedy pressure plate is faulty. There's no way I'm going to buy Exedy again. A clutch job takes a lot of time and I don't wanna tear the tranny down again just to replace a part that should have been working 100% the first time. I've never heard anything bad about ACT so do whatever you like. It's your car and money.

Exedy Pressure plate was not faulty. Bet you didn't know that "EXEDY" makes all the stock clutches and pressure plates for all the hondas? Yep, the OEM clutches are made by "Daikin"...aka...EXEDY.
Why would Honda trust them?
I've had my exedy stage one for 25k and it still grabs like day one. Never broke it in either. I swear by their clutches.
As for ACT's....my boy's RSX Type-S lasted one day on the ACT clutch at the track w/ a 100 shot....lol.
Everyone is going to have stories about other people's clutches...but in the end you gotta think to yourself, why does honda use "exedy"?

Exedy Pressure plate was not faulty. Bet you didn't know that "EXEDY" makes all the stock clutches and pressure plates for all the hondas? Yep, the OEM clutches are made by "Daikin"...aka...EXEDY.
Why would Honda trust them?
I've had my exedy stage one for 25k and it still grabs like day one. Never broke it in either. I swear by their clutches.
As for ACT's....my boy's RSX Type-S lasted one day on the ACT clutch at the track w/ a 100 shot....lol.
Everyone is going to have stories about other people's clutches...but in the end you gotta think to yourself, why does honda use "exedy"?

Yes, I did know that Exedy makes Honda's OEM clutches. Just because they make Honda's OEM clutches doesn't mean that their entire product line is comparable. Their OEM products are good, but I wouldn't say their other stuff is. I had an Exedy myself, and it burned out in no time. I just never had any good experience with their products. But if you're happy with their stuff, good for you. Whatever makes you happy. Like I said, it's up to him to decide.

yes because act uses stock clutch cores and modify them.....btw Ex main product are clutches...higher quality standards......imo

buy whatever you want.....

for the best Ex deal look up clutch city on ebay....he sent me the wrong clutch and replaced it 2nd day air for free....and it was my fault....

Quoted post[/post]]
yes because act uses stock clutch cores and modify them.....btw Ex main product are clutches...higher quality standards......imo

buy whatever you want.....

for the best Ex deal look up clutch city on ebay....he sent me the wrong clutch and replaced it 2nd day air for free....and it was my fault....

Yep, clutchcityonline.com
that's where i got my clutch from...found it to be the cheapest there.

Back