Exhaust Hangers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
I have an A'pexi WSII exhaust on my car. Last fall around November I noticed my exhaust was hanging lower than it should be, so I get down and noticed the two rubber hangers were split in half. Pulled em off and went and got new ones. Saturday after leaving my buddy's apartment I started to hear rattling. Get down to look again and both of them are split in half. These are supposed to be the good rubber hangers, but apparently this muffler is too damn heavy for them. Any other suggestions?

^^ this.

you could also pick up hangers for a ford thunderbird SC, they are twice the thickness of the standard crap hangers.

Most likely installed incorrectly. The entire exhaust system should be supported at equal stress points. I would suspect the hangers that continue to break are either positioned incorrectly, or are supporting the weight/tension of the majority the exhaust.

You could go with stronger hangers, but will most likely lead to other damage.:eek:

theres only one way to install them... I dont know how you could do it wrong...

Aftermarket exhaust system. Were the hangers also aftermarket as in a part of the install hardware?

I did an OBX catback on my '91 hatch about 1 1/2 years ago. While doing the work, the OEM hangers were 20 years old and pretty much wasted, so I went to a local chain parts store and bought replacements. After about a year I too noticed the final resonator hanging low and I could hear the pipe banging at times. One of the hangers was broken and others looked like they were original 20 years old and they were only a year old.

It was suggested that OEM were better quality - they are better than the aftermarket hangers for sure. I did the fix on a Sunday and dealer was closed - so what I did is double up on the cheapies from the national parts chain store as an interim fix. Some day, I'll order a set from the dealer and change them out.

PICT2547%20%28Large%29.JPG

PICT2549%20%28Large%29.JPG

PICT2551%20%28Large%29.JPG

These pictures were taken late last year when I did the replacement of the first "Replacement" set of ROL hangers.

Last edited:
^^^ is what is holding on my exhaust. i change them every spring. then again, my engine is solid mounted...

those ROLs are what are on there. brand new from last fall. I think I may double them up.

I haven't checked the last "Doubled Up" set I installed late last year. BRB

Well, the car is currently up on jack stands as I'm in the middle of an engine swap. So, I walked out with camera and took a look. They are barely 6 months old and look like crap - junk. I took E_SolSi's advice and ordered up a set of Polyurethane hangers that are claimed to be 80% stronger than the stock rubber hangers. Ordered 4 pairs, so I'll have 8. Going to double up on the two aft. Takes 5 to do the job, plus 2 extras to double up on the rear. Cost $48.00 + $11.00 for shipping - Total $59.00. OEM rubber hangers from the dealer are $9.00 each or 7 for $63.00 plus tax.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Red-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Exhaust%20Hanger%201.jpg

Exhaust%20Hanger%202.jpg

Exhaust%20Hanger%203.jpg

These pictures were taken on 6/7/2011 of a set of ROL hangers that are just barely over 6 months old.

Last edited:
theres only one way to install them... I dont know how you could do it wrong...

This is partially true assuming all the factory hanger locations were used.
More than half of custom exhaust systems out there, installers fab their own mounts.

Most likely installed incorrectly. The entire exhaust system should be supported at equal stress points. I would suspect the hangers that continue to break are either positioned incorrectly, or are supporting the weight/tension of the majority the exhaust.

You could go with stronger hangers, but will most likely lead to other damage.:eek:
I can't state anything about the A'pexi WSII the OP has installed on his car - no experience with system or vehicle and no pictures. I do however have experience with another "Bolt On" type of catback exhaust. The pictures posted on this thread are of a 2.5" stainless OBX designed for the '91 civic hatchback.

Fitment was dead on. I did the install myself. The issue is, based upon 18 months experience with this setup, cheap aftermarket hangers. There's no issues with mount points or load balance - it fits perfectly just like the OEM did.

What I can also state is the 2.5" is heavier than stock OEM. However, the mount degradation is not consistent with overweight stress - it wreaks of cheap materials. The pictures speak for themselves - same degredation even when "Doubled Up" and the piping is about 30-40% heavier than stock not 200% increase in weight.

I fully expect better results from the Polyurethane mounts on order. They are advertised as 80% stronger hangers and I hope they are as the weight of the larger exhaust system seems to dictate the need for increased supporting structure. At this point, I don't expect to see other damage - the OEM mounts on the car appear to be fully up to the job of supporting the 2.5" OBX catback exhaust system. I've seen threads suggesting putting adjustable hose clamps around them. I thought of doing that with my hatchback installation but doubled up on some of them instead. I will wrap with hose clamps if the polyurethane hangers fail.

I hope the polyurethane hangers are the last chapter of this book. :)

Last edited:
I can't state anything about the A'pexi WSII the OP has installed on his car - no experience with system or vehicle and no pictures. I do however have experience with another "Bolt On" type of catback exhaust. The pictures posted on this thread are of a 2.5" stainless OBX designed for the '91 civic hatchback.

Fitment was dead on. I did the install myself. The issue is, based upon 18 months experience with this setup, cheap aftermarket hangers. There's no issues with mount points or load balance - it fits perfectly just like the OEM did.

What I can also state is the 2.5" is heavier than stock OEM. However, the mount degradation is not consistent with overweight stress - it wreaks of cheap materials. The pictures speak for themselves - same degredation even when "Doubled Up" and the piping is about 30-40% heavier than stock not 200% increase in weight.

I fully expect better results from the Polyurethane mounts on order. They are advertised as 80% stronger hangers and I hope they are as the weight of the larger exhaust system seems to dictate the need for increased supporting structure. At this point, I don't expect to see other damage - the OEM mounts on the car appear to be fully up to the job of supporting the 2.5" OBX catback exhaust system. I've seen threads suggesting putting adjustable hose clamps around them. I thought of doing that with my hatchback installation but doubled up on some of them instead. I will wrap with hose clamps if the polyurethane hangers fail.

I hope the polyurethane hangers are the last chapter of this book. :)

AMEN brotha'

best of luck
Thanks. The polyurethane suggestion was a good idea and should do the trick. I did a Energy Suspension polyurethane bushing job on the suspension 2 or 3 years ago and it tightened up the ride real nice. The poly busings are much more stout than the neoprene OEM stuff. Hopefully, the poly exhaust hangers will be the same level of improvement over OEM. I sure as hell don't want to have to do an annual changeout of them.

Last edited:
This is partially true assuming all the factory hanger locations were used.
More than half of custom exhaust systems out there, installers fab their own mounts.

A'Pexi is a bolt on catback, all the stock mounts were used. I would have mentioned anything otherwise.

hmm that's weird i been running my ws2 on hatches for over 3 years and havent had any hanger issues, and my motor has solid mounts.... i must have gotten lucky or something

hmm that's weird i been running my ws2 on hatches for over 3 years and havent had any hanger issues, and my motor has solid mounts.... i must have gotten lucky or something
What hangers are you using?

The new mounts in mine are also "Solid" type from Drop Engineering. Is this style of mount what you mean by Solid Mounts?

Motor%20Mounts%201.jpg

The Polyurethane mounts arrived today - will probably install this weekend. These things are really stiff - should be monstrous to install.

Exhaust%20Hanger%204.jpg

Last edited:
I was under the hatch yesterday working on the shift linkage and noticed the front exhaust hangers. They were replaced when I did the 2.5" catback install a year and a half ago. They are stull in great shape.

Exhaust%20Hanger%208.jpg

As opposed to the rear that are the same brand, from the same source and only 7 months old that look like crap.

Exhaust%20Hanger%207.jpg

Not sure I understand the "why" as to this condition. The hangers are different in design as can be seen in the pictures - that could the reason. Different design in terms of shape and center being straight -vs- rounded - they are more robust. I would speculate that the material the front hangers are made of is also a factor.

Last edited:
Back