1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exhaust piping

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by w2rbass, Sep 24, 2003.

1. w2rbass

w2rbass Member

hey guys... i was just wondering, what size is the exhaust piping stock on a 94 civ hb.... and, just out of curiosity, if any of you have custom exhausts from an exhaust shop how much did u pay to get everything bent and did u use steel or the cheaper/gonna rust eventually stuff.... thanks, my whole exhaust is rotting away, it started at the rear of the car and it keeps splitting more and more towards the front, i have nothing done to the engine now and my funds wont allow anything to be done to it for a LONG while, so for now i just want stock size piping so that i wont lose any backpressure and possibly lose some power..... im going this weekend to check out some exhaust shops around here, i was just wondering what price range i could be expecting from everyone elses experiences... hopefully ill be able to haggle with them a little if i know what to expect... thanks guys/girls/whoever

2. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

upgrading to bigger pipes probably will cost the same as getting new same-size pipes. i got my 2.25" cat-back exhaust piping and dynomax muffler installed on my crx for $120...but i think that is a pretty low price. it was at a small independent muffler shop. the stock piping on my car was 1.5". probably the same for yours.

3. Bl6CRX

Bl6CRX Senior Member

yeah, shop around for that...haha i know a guy who payed 150 for axle back exhaust w/ muffler, i payed the same except i got 2.25 in piping, cat, and muffler (and install)...

4. tab

tab Super Moderator

Yeah, the local shop in my town would put in a premuffler and muffler, and all needed piping after the cat for about $100. I wouldn't pay more than that. That would be two glasspacks and some pipe. You'll get a nice tone, not too ricey, good flow, and a bit of backpressure for your low end torque. Don't pay more than that unless you get a nice stainless muffler or something extra.

5. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

going price round here for piping ONLY and installed is 150

6. rsaeini

rsaeini Senior Member

one suggestion for you is to find someone who is selling stock piping from their car. i know a lot of people here in SoCal do that. that will probably run you a lot less than having to go to a muffler shop and make you some pipes.
    also keep in mind that your average muffler shop will give you crush-bent pipes which actually rob you of power. if you can get a deale somewhere to get mandrel-bent piping then jump on it but i'll never pay for crush-bent piping.

7. SLA

SLA Senior Member

I payed $50 for a custom stainless steel cat to muffler piping if that is what you are looking for. The cheapest muffler I have seen is a universal Apex'i N-1 rip off on ebay for $100.

8. w2rbass

w2rbass Member

thanks for the quick reply's... yeah im aware that crush bent piping sucks... i figured it didnt matter for now as my car is not powerful anyway.. i plan to do a swap sometime in the future when i can work more than 12 hours a week.. so when id do that id get a bigger mandrel bent cat back, i really like the thermal's i talked to a guy the other day who had one on his car.. it sounded amazing to me... but just because i need one for now i dont care if its crush bent or not.... 2.25 sounds like it should be just fine for me.... i am shopping around for used stuff but most of the stuff i have found is either too expensive, or if its stock pipe it looks like it is about to rust through very quickly from being so old. so depending on what i find im just gonna suck it up and get it from a shop..... but thanks guys... helped a lot

9. Bl6CRX

Bl6CRX Senior Member

crushed bent piping isn't that bad...if you want the extra horse power out of manderal bent piping then just get 1/4 of an inch bigger, it will come out like less than one hp difference...and that can easily be gained with something a lot cheaper than manderal bend piping...this was in an article awhile back, anyone remeber which???

10. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

if you need a b pipe I can get a stainless steel unit for you from your cat to your axle, then you just buy a axle back muff.

but crush bent is a much cheaper alternative,if you do it then make sure you get a resonator for sound

11. SLA

SLA Senior Member

Doesn't anybody wait to do there shit all at once anymore? I mean why pay for something you are just going to trash in like a year or so? Where's the patient's?

12. w2rbass

w2rbass Member

SLA.... id love to wait to get everything all at once but unfortunately i cant.... winter is almost here and i dont wanna be driving around in a blizzard with my window open.... when im sitting still i can smell the exhaust coming into my car so i need something now before it gets too cold out... thanks tho........ i didnt have time to go this weekend and check stuff out tho... something came up saturday morn before i was supposed to go... and then afterwards i went to a fair and parked in a gigantic muddy football field... im lucky i didnt get any piping put on in the morning.... that mudd was tearin' my exhaust up and then i was a retard and left my lights on and my battery died.. HAHA! :angry: anyways yeah so im goin next weekend for an exhaust.... peace

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted