exhaust popping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

silicon_ghost

I have a question. I got a 93 honda del sol SI, D16z6, it has the stock piping with a tsudo muffler. When i shift, it pops. its not too load but it gets annoying after awhile. Someone said to mess with my timing so i set it to about the middle because it was all the way advanced. Does anyone know anything about jumping my service connectors as i have heard this could help it, and where my service connector would be in my car?

if im not mistaken it should be a brown and black wire all by itself tucked underneath by the glove box. all you need to do it put a paper clip in it and turn the key and read the big and little flashes check on here and see what it says.

I think it is just unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Subarus do this alot when you put a high flow muffler on. It happens with the stocker, but since it silences alot, you just cant hear it.

Its either an exhaust leak somewhere, allowing fresh air into the exhaust and then backfiring.

Could just be the muffler too, some of em, just the way they are designed make funny noises. Like how some sound good, some sound like bee's.

Adjusting your timing is not going to help anything, leave it fully advanced.

To read the codes, turn the key on (in the run position), engine off and count the blinking lights on the ECU (under the carpet, passenger side). Jumping that harness has nothing to with reading codes, all that does is put the computer into base timing mode, which would allow you to change the timing. Without putting it into base timing, the ECU would see the changes in timing you made at the dist, and simply negate them in order to stay in its happy perimeters.

-Chris

Back