Exhaust Q

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

I have a ZC swapped 91 CRX and I'm looking for a good muffler that doesn't make a ridiculous noise. The quieter, the better. I'll be running 2.5" all the way down without a cat with the possibility of a supercharger in the far future. I'm looking for something that will still offer performance without a lot of noise. Preferably none. I dont mind a grumble but I hate the raspy noise that most 'performance' mufflers tend to make on hondas. Thanks for the ideas.

I didn't notice a more appropriate place to post this, my apologies if there is a better place.

2.5" without a cat is gonna be loud no matter what you choose. the cat does a lot in the sound muffling.

Yup sounds like a good idea for a turbo car. Why even get an exhaust in that case? Why remove the cat?

This is the right forum to post this question in.

My muffler suggestion- Dynomax Super Turbo. It's available in a zillion different configurations (diameters, inlets/outlets), and it's basically a smooth 3 chamber S curve. It flows really well, and it does a wonderful job of quieting down an otherwise unrestricted D block without restricting flow much at all. It's dirt cheap too, and is of very high quality. The last one I bought was $30 and sold with the car years later.

Thanks Calesta. The worst part of a loud exhaust in a CRX is the fact that there is no defense against the sound inside the car. Just goes right into the car. Did you notice any of the 'bad' noises from the muffler? such as the rattle or 'twinge' noise you can get at only a few select throttle positions?

I was also directed to a website from a friend that has a large number of mufflers with sound clips and CFM, Db, and other ratings to go with. The only issue I have with it, is that it doesn't sound like they are pushing the throttle all the way. The Tornado Turbo and Resonator sound great from the clips.

Browser Warning

I had the muffler on a Chevy, not a Honda- but no, I never had any problems with it. As far as weird resonances, I doubt you'll experience many if any at all. The S curve acts as a baffle without the baffle's restriction, so it will block almost all the high frequency noise that would normally come with a straight-through muffler system.

I do have a sound clip of a Super Turbo on an EF somewhere though- if I can find it, I'll post it up.

i have a flowmaster 88 series (i think its an 88 series) muffler and it is very quiet unless i put my foot in it

Back