Exhaust Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Luded

Okay. Im planning on buying the apexi gt spec exhaust for my car (92 prelude vtec) it has 3.74" piping is this good or bad? My build is either going to be turbo or all motor havnt decided yet. Never though to big of piping could be bad but read yall talking in other post. what do yall recommend?

I suggest that you decide between naturally aspirated/boosted before you spend any money on a new exhaust because certain piping sizes are not ideal for one or the other. 3.74" seems like it would be way too big for naturally aspirated.

Quoted post[/post]]
would 3.74" be good for turbo? and what do you think woudl be ideal with NA?
3.74" is pretty damn big. For turbo setup i wouldn't go larger than 3" unless you are running a huge turbo. As for NA thats just waaaaaaaay to big, you more like 2.25"-2.5"

Are you sure that it doesn't just have a 3.74" outlet? Many systems have a large outlet (i.e. fart-cannons), but still have a smaller diameter piping. I don't see you being able to buy an aftermarket bolt on exhaust with piping that large, unless its made for a turbo diesel truck or something. Check the specs again. I am pretty sure you misread something.

Just read on the apex'i website....the 3.74 inch piping diamter is only for certain apps. Here is the application site. Apex'i GT Exhaust Applications 60mm piping for all prelude apps. That's 2.36 inches, much more appropriate. Probably a little too small for turbo applications, but good for most all motor. Are those the super loud ones? I'd look into the world sport if you plan on encountering any disgruntled police.

straight from Apexi 's site
172-KH09 Prelude 1992 - 1996 ALL 60mm; 115mm
http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_exhaust_d...d=181&pageNum=1

so thats 60mm piping with a 115mm tip

60 millimeter = 2.362 204 724 inch
115 millimeter = 4.527 559 055 inch

i have no idea where you got 3.75 inches from :shrug2:
but those are the specs for that exhaust
perfectly fine for NA too small for turbo

what size piping should i need if i choose to go with the turbo route?

this is where i got the 3.74"

"The GT System is a FULLY polished stainless steel exhaust utilizing a massive 95mm* (3.74 inches) piping diameter channeled through a 114.3mm (4.5 inch) tip." copied from the apxi website

but i see where it says the prelude diameter. I didnt read enuf of it lol :wink:

for turbo you pretty much want 3"

and yeah i read the little blurb after i posted and saw that.... looks like its only available on a few specific models

Yeah, 3 inch piping is pretty much the norm unless you are going with a HUGE turbo, in which case you would know more about this stuff than me. Going custom will probably be best in that situation.

Back