exhaust sound

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

flydex28

So i needed a muffler really bad and decided to have it replaced. I decided I may as well upgrade the rest as well so I had the shop put in 2 1/4 inch pipe all the way up to the downpipe, new muffler and resonator, and removed the cat since it would have been too small anyway. I believe it was like 1 1/2 inch or so before. Anyhow since I did that, whenever i go thru 3000 rpm to 3500 rpm i get this wierd rattley sound. The shop suggested adding a smaller resonator in place of where the old cat was. Im thinking maybe i should just save up and get another cat in there. At the very least I'll get rid of the unburnt exhaust out the back... Any suggestions? Would a cat or another resonator fix this or is it just the pipe size? Oh btw its a B16sir2.

Add a decent resonator where the cat is... Also, what kind of muffler did you have installed? If its the generic muffler shop brand you might have a hard time getting rid of that sound...

oh im not even really sure what kind it is.. it was the same as my old one i think.. a turbo muffler oval shaped. So yeah probably the generic one. So just put a second resonator in there where the cat USED to be?

Exactly. In my 01 integra, back when my wife used to drive it, the oem resonator (after the cat) rusted out. So i replaced it with a straight pipe. (The rest of the exhaust was still stock, including the cat) and just by removing the resonator, it developed a slight tinny sound around the rpms that you mentioned... 3-3500... So i can imagine what it would be like with a generic turbo muffler and larger piping...

When I first put this engine in i didnt have a cat for it so i just had a straight pipe to the muffler and i can tell you it sounded pretty terrible..lol. So i had them add a cat thinking it would fix the problem.. so the setup was just like yours.. nope still sounded bad. I remember the shop telling me thats just the way hondas sounded and I was like noooo i dont think so, they added a resonator and the problem was solved. So hopefully just adding a second resonator will do it this time.. not sure how much they will charge for a new catalytic converter. Probably not cheap. I'll just have to get a quote. I'm guessing the second resonator will act like a cat in this case (im hoping) to help cancel the sound.

Id try the resonator first as it will be waay cheaper than even an aftermarket cat.. And see how that sounds.

Back