exhaust under valve cover

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90crxb16a

just picked up this b18c and when you look under the oil cap there is alot of exhaust. more then i think is normal.
any ideas? i will be doing a compresion test on it tonight.

could it have anything to do with a pcv valve(crank case vent?????)

what the hell is exhaust doing in valve cover? theres supposed to be nothing other than valvetrain and oil.

I just picked up a 93 civic hb with a jdm b18c ® and it is doing the same exact thing. At idle it is pushing a ton of exaust out of the oil fill (on the valve cove). When you rev it up it disipates quite a bit but is still there. It is more exhaust than could possibly squeeze thru a bad valve stem seal, even if they all were bad. Any Ideas please help :(

Thanks

Hehehe (swapdohc) I just wanted to tell you i like your SIG.

" It's not what you can "BUY" But what you can build. " WeRd

Ive had the same thing happen in my 1st honda and its not exhaust..its really just heavy steam from the heat inside of the head.

Originally posted by lude68@Jan 11 2004, 10:44 PM
Ive had the same thing happen in my 1st honda and its not exhaust..its really just heavy steam from the heat inside of the head.

that sounds like it makes a lot more sense :hmm:

:shrug2:

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Jan 11 2004, 10:45 PM-->
@Jan 11 2004, 10:44 PM

that sounds like it makes a lot more sense :hmm:

:shrug2:

why wouldnt it make a little more sense? Its not exhaust from the combustion chamber but a heavy steam (ever change your oil and hot steam come out of your oil cap when your car is still hot and it doesnt have oil in it yet?

Its not steam and its not exhaust. Its oil vapour. When the oil gets hot and the engine parts are splashing it around all over the place, it tends to vaporise a little. Thats why you need a crack case vent. The PCV ( positive crankcase ventilation ) valve lets the vapour out of the vavle cover ( highest part of the engine ) and sends it into the intake to be burned. Sometimes you get oil going out the PCV and that is why people install oil catch cans.

WTF, I thought that that steam came from burning Halogen fluid in my muffler bearings...I'm getting another beer before I investigate. :D

Back