Exhaust

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brockster99

THaks for the reccomandations, I really appreicate it. like i mentioned in my last post about the Mass state bill to be soon voted will be in the election time and since I got too manyresponses about it. I'll tell you more about it

According to TUNED magazine which is published locally in Malden MA here it is for word for word: PLEASE OPPOSE HOUSE BILL #1722

I 'm urging you all to first of all to register to vote bcause if you are not registered and over 18yo of age they dont care if you hold signs about how stupid this bill is about tehy wont listen to you. The only way to get your voice heard is to register and then vote NO!

this bill is to prohibit the sale or instalation of an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust.

House Bill 1722 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently withoutincreasing emissions

ANd so on soif you want to learn more about this bill and who wants it passed go tot his link http://www.state.ma.us/legis/history/h01722.htm

I hope this helps and if this bill becomes a question on elections make sure you say no.

I keep hearing that -insert name here- exhaust is "quiet, but no one ever backs up those claims with db numbers.

quiet is relative and meaningless unless compared to something

for example, I know that the Thermal Stealth exhuast is 88db (and in my opinion too loud)

I also have information telling me that the Bosal brospeed exhaust is between 75-80 db which is much closer to stock numbers

therefor thermal > brospeed > stock [for db numbers]

Originally posted by seanjuan@Aug 26 2003, 04:57 PM
I keep hearing that -insert name here- exhaust is "quiet, but no one ever backs up those claims with db numbers.

quiet is relative and meaningless unless compared to something

for example, I know that the Thermal Stealth exhuast is 88db (and in my opinion too loud)

I also have information telling me that the Bosal brospeed exhaust is between 75-80 db which is much closer to stock numbers

therefor thermal > brospeed > stock [for db numbers]

Hows this, if I stand behind my car at idle, I can not hear the exhaust, only the motor, and it stays that way with someone blipping the throttle up a few thousand RPMs. db numbers are just a reference point anyway, because there are other things that effect the volume, such as the cat, length and diameter of header, size of resonator used..,etc.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 26 2003, 11:12 AM

Hows this, if I stand behind my car at idle, I can not hear the exhaust, only the motor, and it stays that way with someone blipping the throttle up a few thousand RPMs. db numbers are just a reference point anyway, because there are other things that effect the volume, such as the cat, length and diameter of header, size of resonator used..,etc.

true, there are othere factors but at least a db number is better than someone saying that such and such an exhaust is quiet because that means nothing

Originally posted by seanjuan+Aug 26 2003, 06:01 PM-->
@Aug 26 2003, 11:12 AM

true, there are othere factors but at least a db number is better than someone saying that such and such an exhaust is quiet because that means nothing

I agree, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and not think they are a complete imbecile that thinks 200db is a quiet exhaust

well then post up on how much db's every aftermarket exhaust is, do a research. I had no idea how much db's my apex ws was but compared to all fuckass morons that run open cans with no resonators and straight through my WS was nice and timid, even though I had no cat...

Milan

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 26 2003, 12:19 PM

I agree, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and not think they are a complete imbecile that thinks 200db is a quiet exhaust

200 db is a quiet exhaust if you are....

a. 10 miles away from it
b. mostly deaf
c. a ricer

for real though, competition audio systems will hit around 160 db or so if they are decent... but you don't sit inside the car when you are playing it that loud

db values are sort of like temperatures,
70 is comfortable, no one ever complains about that
80 is getting warm but it's tollerable
90 hits and you are sticky and sweating and praying for AC
100 is pretty close to heat stroke conditions
[IMO]

Just in case you guys needed it. Its from a WRX and the type of exhaust isnt noted but its a rough estimate.. :Note: Source From GReddy..

dB(A)@idle
Stock: 87
GReddy: 94
M2: 94
Super Sprint: 95
MRT Performance: 96
HKS: 97
Cobb Tuning: 97
5 Zigen: 98
Apex: 100
Tanabe: 101
Thermal: 101
Skunk2: 102
Blitz: 104

db(A) @ 3000rpm

PeakHP

where have you heard the rs*r or the mugen exhausts? I have read that they are supposed to be very quiet but have never heard them for myself or talked to anyone who had heard them first hand

Back