Explain Heel-Toe Driving

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TunerTike03

Have heard the term used alot and dont have a clue what it means could someone elaborate please? I tried that turnfast.com but it doesnt work anymore.

Thanks

It's when you brake with your toe matching revs for down shifting by hitting the throttle with your heel. It allows you to use all 3 pedals at once so you can downshift and brake at the same time.

And it is really hard to do if 1) you have big feet, and 2) are wearing normal tennis shoes.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 6 2004, 03:33 PM
And it is really hard to do if 1) you have big feet, and 2) are wearing normal tennis shoes.

no shit, try doing it with a size 14, my bigass foot could cover all 3 and the dead pedal at once.

When they say match revs, what does that mean? Just push the gas pedal a little to get the tranny syncro right? Sorry if it sounds stupid I am amatuer.

Thanks

heel toe driving style if for older race cars that had the gas between the brake and clutch to make it easyer thats when they drove around with no speedomider and used just the tac those guys were real drivers

When they say match revs thats for down shiifting say ur in 3rd at 4500 to come around a coner with no brakes u put it nutral bring it back up to 45ish and put it 2nd no brakes just engine

uhh no.

heel toe is not like that at all.

do a search. its been covered in gtreat detail before

Originally posted by PhyRe@Mar 6 2004, 10:36 PM
heel toe driving style if for older race cars that had the gas between the brake and clutch to make it easyer thats when they drove around with no speedomider and used just the tac those guys were real drivers

When they say match revs thats for down shiifting say ur in 3rd at 4500 to come around a coner with no brakes u put it nutral bring it back up to 45ish and put it 2nd no brakes just engine

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's good shit man.

Originally posted by PhyRe@Mar 6 2004, 04:36 PM

ever been in a modern racecar with a speedometer? and yes, you're right about old cars having the pedals inverted and that's where heel-toe came from; but, it's still a valid technique used today. a few drivers actually put their heel on the brake, and toe on the gas. crazy, but it's true.

but heel toe is pretty easy, once you figure out what the hell you're supposed to do, and with a little practice. after about 3 months (lots of seat time), i nail it every time.

here's the basic technique:
1. brake
2. clutch in
3. blip throttle to proper rpm in the lower gear: do this with your foot still on the brake .. kind of roll it over and hit the gas with your heel or side of your foot. this is the hardest part, you just need to find out what works for you. i use my ankle actually. driving shoes would help.
4. pop shifter into lower gear
5. let out clutch

do all that in one quick, smooth motion. sit with your car off and do the motion over and over. but you should learn how to revmatch first. this link explains the what and why of revmatching: https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3637 . this talks about double clutching also, which, if you're really good, you can heel toe and double clutch. B) not really necessary, but it's a good skill to have.

heel toe is basically revmatching, with the brake thrown in the mix. it's a technique that's very useful on the track, because it keeps chassis flex to a minimum, and uses both the brakes and engine to slow your car down simultaneously. and you'll be ready to blast out of the corner.

learning it is a bit challenging: i remember the first few days i tried i fucked up so bad. haha i would just brake and mash all kinds of pedals and grind gears and stuff. but after a little practice, i do it right all day. once you learn how to revmatch, heel toe is just the next step - you'll never go back to downshifting like all the morons who just let the clutch out slowly.

edit fo speellin

Cool. Thanks for doing it by linking to my article. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Personally, I don't like "heel toe" shifting. I prefer to "fat foot" it. :lmao:

yeah i can't heel toe either. the way the pedals are in my civic it just doesn't work. however, ankle toe is real easy.

i've thought about getting some pedal pads with the extension on the gas pedal to make it easier.... a good friend of mine, who is the best driver i've ever seen (seriuosly this guys nuts) can't heel toe either. he actually somehow uses half his toes on the brake and rolls the other half onto the top of the gas. :blink: that is, when he's not doing left foot braking. :huh:

Originally posted by jwn7@Mar 8 2004, 08:55 PM
yeah i can't heel toe either. the way the pedals are in my civic it just doesn't work. however, ankle toe is real easy.

i've thought about getting some pedal pads with the extension on the gas pedal to make it easier.... a good friend of mine, who is the best driver i've ever seen (seriuosly this guys nuts) can't heel toe either. he actually somehow uses half his toes on the brake and rolls the other half onto the top of the gas. :blink: that is, when he's not doing left foot braking. :huh:

Damn, that would take some touchy toes. I was playing around today, using my toes on the gas, and heel on the brake, a little easier, but still awkward.

yeah i asked him why and how the hell he does that. he said it's just the only thing that works for him. he had to bend the gas pedal up closer to the brake, because he was pushing in the brake too much during the blip. he said he's always braking hard, so the pedals pretty down there.

i watched him do it a few times ... it's really wierd. he basically puts his big toe on the brake kinda sideways but not really, and then just pushes the other side of his foot down and it hits the gas :huh:.

brake with the front of your foot and swing the heel over to the gas
brake with the left half of your foot and roll the right side of your foot on to the gas

use whatever method YOU are most comfortable with
the technique is not really important (as long as its safe and controlled)
as long as the end result is matched revs for a smooth downshift it doesnt really matter how the fuck you blipped the throttle

I have problems balancing between the brake and gas, I either rev the hell out of it instead of blip, or slam the brake :(

yep. practice practice practice. the first couple days i was soo bad. then i was able to do it, but never match the revs right. just keep at it, you'll get it.

Originally posted by jwn7@Mar 7 2004, 08:12 AM

a few drivers actually put their heel on the brake, and toe on the gas. crazy, but it's true.

thats how i do it. my knees are so fucked up from running track and destroying my legs a few times to many.

like E_sol said, the important part is not how you do it, its the fact that you do do it and do it smoothly.

Yup, track/basketball/football had their way with my joints too...

The only one of my friends that can really "heel toe" is a short skinny guy who drives an Accord. The rest of us big guys with big legs and feet can't really do it that well.

:D

Back