Explain Heel-Toe Driving

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i use the fat foot method, because like other people my feet are pretty big...
instead of actually using my heel and toe, i use the ball of my foot (or big toe) for the brake, and the right side of my foot to blip the gas. i can even do it in sandles! hehe.

i practice this all the time, i'm pretty good at it now. almost every turn that requires me to slow down, i do a heel toe downshift. its good practice.

I just dropped the Corbeau seat into the truck last night, and damn... the lower seating lets me run my legs straighter out, which makes fat footing even easier! All I need is some pedal extension and the truck is good to go. If only the pedal positioning in the Civic was this good...

:lmao:

Or read my article about double clutching and heel toe that's posted right here on our own HondaSwap and up toward the top of this thread....

As a quick note,

I never use my heel on the thottle pedal. It's more natual for your foot to go outwards, and it's more natural to give the throttle with your ankle power.

So when I heel-toe I keep my heel on the brake, and move my toes to the throttle. Hondas are particularly easy, because the gas pedal's metal arm wraps around the top of the brake. Try this.

With the engine running, and the car stopped, Put your heel on the brake pedal. (Depress the brake of course) . Then put your toes anywhere. Up in the dash, to the side, anywhere in the general direction of the gas pedal. Push your toes down. Chances are, you'll hit some part of the throttle pedal.

-> Steve

Practice Practice. I heel toe during all decelerating shifts. On the race course I do it in a performance orientation, and on regular roads with passengers I do it to maintain smooth shifts that don't jerk people around.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 6 2004, 02:33 PM
And it is really hard to do if 1) you have big feet, and 2) are wearing normal tennis shoes.

Sorry to bring this back from th edead, but I just found this vid i took forever ago on my harddrive. Size 15 New Balances, stock pedal covers removed and replaced with skateboard grip tape etc ;)

*right click, save as please

heel-toe vid

Practice practice practice is all I can tell ya!

Originally posted by nfn15037+Apr 22 2004, 08:22 PM-->
@Mar 6 2004, 02:33 PM
And it is really hard to do if 1) you have big feet, and 2) are wearing normal tennis shoes.

Sorry to bring this back from th edead, but I just found this vid i took forever ago on my harddrive. Size 15 New Balances, stock pedal covers removed and replaced with skateboard grip tape etc ;)

*right click, save as please

heel-toe vid

Practice practice practice is all I can tell ya!

Not heel toe, "fat foot" I guess, I can do that, but my brake is higher than my gas pedal. my wifes car they are right next to each other.

Nobody really heel-toes, I mean some do, but it is a lot more difficult and frankly, with your heel on the brake, you don't have much modulation. Pierre Kleinubing, along with 99% of any racer with a clutch pedal, uses the "fat foot" method, there really isnt any other way that is more common, but use what works for you, not what you think everyone else uses.

Also, your gas pedal is easy to bend, get down there and put it where you need it if it needs to move. :)

Back