Exterior Door handle removal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
Hey guys i have a question and i think it is simple but i dont know. I have a (5 civic hatch. My passengerside door handle sticks out when the door is open. So my passenger has to push the handle back in to close the door. Or else the closing mechanism will not engage, So i was wondering how do i remove the door handle or what do you think is not permiting it to close? I went to the junkyard one day for somepart and i saw a a 5th gen coupe with a mint door handle but i couldnt figure how to take it off. Do i need to take of the interior door panel? Do i need a special tool to take off the window crank assembly? I tried to take it off but the only way i took the handle off is by breaking my hammer on the door prying it out... and i need my door. Anything feedback will help. Thanks in advance :)

To remove the door handle assembly you have to take off the door panel. You can get a window crank specailty tool from almost any autoparts store. Once you get the door panel off inspect the metal cables for any binding. To take off the door handle assembly, if you do need to, i believe it's only held in there by two 10mm(i think there 10mm) bolts, unhook the metal cables and your handle assembley is free.

Cheesus i think it is possible to take 3/4 of a honda apart with either a 10 or 12mm socket and a phillips screwdriver. And thanks for the help. And will any window crank remover work or do i need to go to honda? I know you said i could go to an auto parts store but i am questioning if they are universal.

don;t buy a tool use any cotton rag and slide it up behind the window crank and it will pop of the clip i have done this 20000 times now without a problem

i have the exact same problem in my winter civic
what is causing this and let me know how it works once you get it fixed

spray the lock mecanisim first with brakeclean then with wd 40 and it wii work like new

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic@Oct 18 2004, 02:43 PM
Cheesus i think it is possible to take 3/4 of a honda apart with either a 10 or 12mm socket and a phillips screwdriver. And thanks for the help. And will any window crank remover work or do i need to go to honda? I know you said i could go to an auto parts store but i am questioning if they are universal.
[post=404234]Quoted post[/post]​

I bought mine from advance auto parts for like $5. It has come in handy especially doing alot of car audio installs with cars that have hand window cranks.

Back