External coil on a JDM H22?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Alright, we hooked up my distributor. A JDM B16A OBD-1 dizzy, and got it to start a little bit. It starts, but 3 seconds after you take your hand off the key, it dies. I can't adjust the timing on it cuzz one of the mounting tabs on my dizzy are stuck between the vtec pressure sensor and the vtec soleniod. I am going to verify the wiring on the distributor to the harness today when I get off work.

Well, the guy who owns the car sent the distributor back to HMotorsonline, and they're gonna send him another one. I don't think that was the problem, but the guy insists. I'll keep ya'll updated on it's progress.

was up man did you find out anything cuz im having the same problem

Yes Sir! That car has been running for a couple months now. I guess I should have updated it. My wiring was all correct. The ignitor in the distributor was bad, and once I got the new dizzy, the car fired right up. First try. If you go back a page, it will explain exactly how to do the wiring. Hit me up if you still have problems. ;)

ok i conected the yellow wire and the black and yellow wire changed it didnt want to start i replaced the distributer and fired ride away thanks to who started this thread its really help full

Im kinda new to this site and i know this maybe an old thread, but from the way everybody is explaining it, all I need to do is souder the yellow and yellow/black wires together and nothing with the green wire and it should in theory work, and btw i have a jdm h22a with and internal coil in my CB7 that has a stock external coil, i have the p13 ecu, i just need to know if this is all I need to do as far as the dizzy goes.

I'm glad to see that you actually did a search, instead of creating a whole new thread like most of the n00bs do.

Anyway, there is no "in theory".... It will work, and has worked many times. I thought I posted up pictures of when I did this, but I guess not. I'll look through my photobucket and see if I still have 'em. If so, I'll post them up for you, so there is no confusion.

If you have anymore questions, just ask. This site is full of very useful information, and pretty much anything that can be done to a honda, has been done, on this site. Good luck, and like I said, just ask.

Ok, and thank you for the prompt answer, on my jdm dizzy there is two black/ yellow wires (connected to upper most part of int. coil), a green wire, a yellow/green wire (connected on the lower most most part of the int. coil), and a few other, so all i need to do is souder the wires connected to the coil together and that will be all I need to do, after doing that do i need to use the external or internal coil dizzy cap, and if you can please do post the pics, and once again thank you so much for the help, this is my first engine swap, but i think im doin a great job so far, I can post pics for those who want to see.

On the coil plug there is a thick yellow wire...you can either cut that wire or use a spade connector and tap the top of that plug to splice it into the yellow and black wire (on the 2 wire plug) on the internal dizzy. Thats all you mess with.

What distributor are you using with your motor? If it's the JDM (internal coil) dizzy, you wire everything up the way I said above, and use the JDM cap with no external coil...

If you have the USDM (external coil) dizzy, you leave all the wiring the way it is now, and use the USDM cap with the external coil.

Also, I must have deleted those pictures from my photobucket, but I'll take some pic's tonight for you.

Ok then ill have to get a new dizzy cap, I have the JDM motor, i found a cap from msd that will allow the use of an internal and external. So the car is able to run with no coil? Im just gana take the coil out then, less weight more speed, lol, and please do post them so i can get a better understanding. Ok, next question, could I use the USDM dizzy cap and use an external coil and it still work? FYI The car is a 1993 USDM CB7 that I have put a JDM H22A in. Old motor blew, cracked head and block, had water and coolant in my oil, not a good mixture.

Ok then ill have to get a new dizzy cap, I have the JDM motor, i found a cap from msd that will allow the use of an internal and external. So the car is able to run with no coil? Im just gana take the coil out then, less weight more speed, lol, and please do post them so i can get a better understanding. Ok, next question, could I use the USDM dizzy cap and use an external coil and it still work? FYI The car is a 1993 USDM CB7 that I have put a JDM H22A in. Old motor blew, cracked head and block, had water and coolant in my oil, not a good mixture.

Dude, you have to have a coil. It's is either internal (inside the distributor) or external (outside the distributor).

WHAT DISTRIBUTOR ARE YOU PLANNING ON USING!!! USDM OR JDM!!!

JDM, pictures will help so much, from what I am understanding nothing will be connected to the coil.

If your using the JDM distributor, which I assume from your last post, you can remove the external coil completely, because the JDM distributor has the coil inside the dizzy. You can either cut that wire or use a spade connector and tap the top of that plug to splice it into the yellow and black wire (on the 2 wire plug) on the internal dizzy.

Im at work right now, so I won't be able to post pic's until I get home. Once you figure this out, you'll realize how easy it really is. I know I did.

Found this for you real quick. Ensure your distributor looks like the one one the right.... That black box with the nipple and spring thing is the internal coil. Notice the one on the left does not have it, because the coil is external.

distributors.jpg

I understand that and am well aware what a coil looks like, I miss understood wat you had saidn and thought you meant to take the wires off the coil and soder them together. So now I understand is that I need to connect the wires on the coil together and still have them connected to the coil.

Back