EXtremeRice gets pwned

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EXtremeAccord

*begin rant*
Who knew too much oil is a bad thing? Especially if your valve-stem seals are corroded/f-ed up. Well, I just finished burning out the last of the excess oil that got into the combustion chamber. Took a while hour and a half. There will be many a story throughout town about the Civic blowing raunchy mist wherever he drove... much like the Johnny Appleseed of toxic fumes.

Someone, for the love of God... come to Modesto and teach me how to adjust, replace, and just straight-up fix my valve-train and seals. I am an idiot, and thus need to be taught.

Fuggit, I'll just take it to the dealership and have them replace the seals... Viva la Honda.

*end rant*

My car smokes because I have no knowledge.

didn;t you just buy this car???
and isn't it a 97 civic?
and it burns this much oil???

sounds like you got fucked...

and replacing valve seals/adjusting valves is a kids chore...
get a book for christs sake...
read it, then save yourself hundreds....

Probably be cheaper to buy a head from a junkyard and replace it.

perhaps we should have questioned your mechanical skills before suggesting this course of action...

OMG, you got a haynes????
YEEEEAAAAAA

what did you run out of toilet paper? or did you intentionally buy this book???
lol

autozone.com has a free repair section that will give you just as good info as the haynes junk...

My mechanical skills consist of the following: Moving my fingers, legs, arms, and mouth.
So I'm guessing a Hayne's manual is pointless.

Originally posted by EXtremeAccord@Dec 10 2004, 03:54 PM
My mechanical skills consist of the following: Moving my fingers, legs, arms, and mouth.
So I'm guessing a Hayne's manual is pointless.
[post=430144]Quoted post[/post]​

It's place to start. The Chilton is your best bet. If you can get ahold of the Honda service manual, you're golden.

haynes SHOULD be sufficient for getting you through replacing the valve seals and adjusting them... its just not the best choice for a refrence manual...

but hey, :thumbsup: for trying to do it yourself
good luck

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Dec 10 2004, 05:24 PM
valve seals are like 4 bucks each.
[post=430002]Quoted post[/post]​

I always include things like time, and all the extras like gaskets, tools he might not have, fluids, etc...

Hehehe... problem solved. I took the 5-year-old approach, took that beotch apart (labelled the hell out of EVERYTHING that was connected to ANYTHING) went and bought new seals, placed them with help from Haynes/Chilton, set/adjusted/replaced everything...

*insert the sound of angels saying "hallelujah" here*

Sounds like a kitty, runs like a tiger.

Back