F#$%ing COIL!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lude68

Ok got a lil problem...about 2 weeks ago my factory coil went out on me for no apparent reason ( i just fig. it was getting up there in milage)...well, today im on the way into town the damn thing happens again (except this time it is w/ an MSD coil. WTF is going on? can anybody tell me what is fucking up my coils and why so fast? i was at a red light and started to take off and the poof..the mutha fuckers gone!

i had a suggestion that it was a main relay...wtf is that?

When my oe coil went, i just put in an accel supercoil. Extend the coil wires out of the distributor, and make an external coil input. It works just fine.

Well, if it's doing it with both coils, it's most likely NOT a coil... ya think? OK, so what are the symptoms? You're driving along, and after 10- 15 minutes or so, the car just shuts off like someone turned the key, and it won't start. But... if you wait 30- 60 minutes, it'll start right back up and run fine for another 10- 15 minutes, and then just shut off, ect. Right? If so, it's your ignitor and NOT the coil. The coil rarely goes bad, if ever.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jan 14 2004, 12:27 PM
Well, if it's doing it with both coils, it's most likely NOT a coil... ya think? OK, so what are the symptoms? You're driving along, and after 10- 15 minutes or so, the car just shuts off like someone turned the key, and it won't start. But... if you wait 30- 60 minutes, it'll start right back up and run fine for another 10- 15 minutes, and then just shut off, ect. Right? If so, it's your ignitor and NOT the coil. The coil rarely goes bad, if ever.

nope thats not it! It drives fine but it makes the whole coil go bad (meaning no waiting 30 min. or so b/c it doesnt start back up). Ive got an extra ignitor and already ordered me a new msd coil...i just dont want to be stranded again ya know?...

and to Canuck...i already had an msd external coil (the one that went out yesterday was the msd coil)....but like i said it makes the whole coil go bad. i just dont understand why it would make the coil go bad (2 times in 2 weeks)

You have a wiring problem. Go with an OEM Honda coil, check your wires and that the distributor base seal in not leaking oil onto your igniter- or you will conitune to replace both.

Ok guys...i cant fig. this shit out to save my damn life...Put a new ignitor/coil in and nothing ....checked for leaks...nothing there...not gettin any spark at all... someone stated it could have been my ECU but its not that b/c ive tried getting spark w/ another one (p28)...does anyone know wtf could be wrong w/ it? anything else that would fuck up around it...im guessing is something small b/c its so damn hard to find but fuckin everything up..thanks

look at the distributor rotor and cap, mainly the rotor see if you see a small burn mark on the rotor were its sits on the distributor shaft. it may be grounding out and cooking your coil. ive only seen this happen a very few times. its worth a shot. do yourself a favor and buy a oem rotor.

well i dont suggest buying anyhting til you know the prob....everyones says buy this and that when all your doing is replacing parts and not figurin what the prob is...im not saying i know what the prob is cuz i dont...everything iv thought about has alreayd been done....im just trying ot get people to think about the prob and not say buy something but to give input as to the prob....

Originally posted by EG3DIGITHATCH@Jan 16 2004, 07:42 PM
look at the distributor rotor and cap, mainly the rotor see if you see a small burn mark on the rotor were its sits on the distributor shaft. it may be grounding out and cooking your coil. ive only seen this happen a very few times. its worth a shot. do yourself a favor and buy a oem rotor.

na man! it looks fine...Thanks for the advice though..if you think of something else let me know!

Back