F20B DOHC VTEC in 90 CRX Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ExplicitSnow

just wondering if the F20B DOHC VTEC accord motor is any good in a CRX Si? smaller than the h22, so less weight...alot of HP/TQ...would this be a reasonable swap for a street/strip car...full gutted w/ radials on the street and slicks on the strip? would i see good #s as in 60ft, 1/8, and 1/4

i dont see why not....if your lookin for a drag car tho why not just go with the h22? its alot more common and there will be more aftermarket support to...and as far as i know they are less expensive as well. Also just remember if u want to autocross or runt he twisties alot u might wanna think about b series for better weight balance

The f20b is a good motor but I think it is over priced. It is basicaly a downstroked h22 with a little higher compression. I don't think it would be much lighter then an h22 if at all and it has less torque. Also swaping this motor into your crx means you will have to have custom mounts welded into your car's engin bay. Doing that means you will then only be able to drop in f and h series motors. Either way best of luck to you with which ever decision you make.

Place Racing is the only place I have found with mounts for a H or F swap into a 88-91 civic or crx. I should say the only mass produced ones. If you dont have the means or knowhow then I would not suggest getting into the h or f swap into your crx. It is very labor intensive. I am in the middle of getting one ready to go into my 88 hb. I have a f23a1.

clearance is also an issue. cant really lower the car because the oil pan sits low. the hood may have to be "reworked" for it to close. if this is a track only car then yes go for it. Mine will be "street" legal track used.

My opinion: more trouble than its worth.

Your looking at OBD changes, clutch style change (I also hate cable actuated shifting), just a big f'ing headache. I supose for unique points, you'd get a bunch. If you go through with it, make sure to post a bunch of pics.

Place Racing does make mounts for f and h series swaps and so does enjo but both are weld in. It would be cheaper to just get the metal you need and have it welded in. If you want more info on doing a swap like this there is a guy on hondatech that has done it, I belive his screen name is 2point2

yes it would be cheaper to get the material to do it yourself. But then you have to worry about making sure everything is correct. not that you wouldnt with the other mounts. but if you are off then you will be doing nothing but breaking axles.

Originally posted by dreded90crxsi@Jul 21 2004, 01:12 PM
Place Racing does make mounts for f and h series swaps and so does enjo but both are weld in. It would be cheaper to just get the metal you need and have it welded in. If you want more info on doing a swap like this there is a guy on hondatech that has done it, I belive his screen name is 2point2
[post=366197]Quoted post[/post]​

I talked with Enjo Racing today and they still havent finished their mounts for the H/F yet. They are looking at late summer or early fall to be done with them.

Originally posted by ExplicitSnow@Jul 21 2004, 12:00 PM
well HP will break axles...a friend of mine had a b16 crx and he was replacing axles every weekend
[post=366261]Quoted post[/post]​

must be not mounted properly or driving habits or something. power is definitely not the cause. the b16 doesnt even have alot of power. i have a b18c in my crx and ive replaced axles once, and that was from age.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+Jul 25 2004, 09:31 AM-->
ExplicitSnow
@Jul 21 2004, 12:00 PM
well HP will break axles...a friend of mine had a b16 crx and he was replacing axles every weekend
[post=366261]Quoted post[/post]​

must be not mounted properly or driving habits or something. power is definitely not the cause. the b16 doesnt even have alot of power. i have a b18c in my crx and ive replaced axles once, and that was from age.
[post=367784]Quoted post[/post]​

reason he was breaking axles was because of high HP...he had port matched intake/exhaust manfiolds, k&n intake, 2.5" inch mandrel catback, full built internals, 5 angle valve job, stage 3 cams and dual valve springs...he was prolly pushin near 200 to the wheels

Back