F22 build up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

auggiereg

I have a 94 Accord with the F22 motor. How hard would it be to build it up to at least 200 HP at the flywheel? I know it would be better to do a swap but I cannot afford that and I don't have the know how to do the swap. Let me know what kind of mods I would need and what kind of money I would be looking at. I also want to know if anyone knows any guidelines for porting out heads, intake manifolds and throttle bodies. Thanks a bunch people.

A turbo kit should get you there. From what I have herd the f22 stock internals can handle 230hp or more. Those engins are supposed to handle turbo's very well to which is why I'm plan on swaping to an f22 and turboing it when I set up my car for race only. I just need to get some more money first, and another car for daily driving. Good luck in your quest for more power.

Why wouldn't I be able to do it without a turbo? I can't afford a turbo. If I was going to do that then I would just try and do the swap. What I am really looking for is bolt ons. If no one thinks it is possible to achieve this without some kind of boost, then what do you think my car will max out at with just simple mods?

To get to 200hp at the flywheel, you're looking at a 70hp gain from 130hp for the DX/LX model, and a 55hp gain from 145hp on an EX model. You're not going to be able to do that with just bolt-ons. You can do it all motor with a new set of high compression pistons, lightweight rods, and cams along with a port/polish- but at that point, you'll have spent more money than you would have swapping in an H22.

You can do it without a turbo, but you would spend more money than you would on a budget turbo setup. You could easily put together a junkyard turbo system for less than $2000, and that would put you over 200hp at the crank, if not 200hp at the wheels.

With "simple mods", there's no telling what your car will max out at. First, is yours the DX/LX or EX model? There's a difference between the F22s that came in both trim levels. With a simple I/H/E upgrade along with a cam, you might make 30hp more at the crank, if you're really lucky.

I have the EX model. I am planning to buy the I/H/E soon and I am also planning to port and polish my head, IM and TB. I am having trouble finding an aftermarket cam for this car. Another question I have is why the F22 motor is such an SOB when it comes to power and mods? Is the DOHC the only difference between the F22 and the H22? Let me know what you think.

i dont really know much about parts for the f22 and h22 but my cousin had a pretty fast na f22 accord coupe...as in unbeaten by any other na dohc Honda(cept for some tuned and stripped preludes and b18 vtec civic hb). the amount he put into the car cost much more than a turbo kit, but he street races and when the car's na the power levels are around the same(more power can be attained on turbo motor by increasing boost).

Originally posted by auggiereg@May 8 2004, 12:06 AM
Is the DOHC the only difference between the F22 and the H22? Let me know what you think.

Well, sort of....

The bore and stroke are pretty close, and alot of the guts in the block are the same or similar, but that's about where it ends. The F22 has low compression (8.8:1) compared to the H22 (10.1:1/10.6:1, USDM/JDM), the H22 has more aggressive cams, and the tranny on the H22 is much tighter-geared than on the F22. The ECU on the H22 is also tuned for power, whereas the F22's ECU is tuned for fuel economy. There are other more subtle differences, but those are the main ones as far as power goes.

Also, the single-cam vs. dual-cam design are quite different as far as head flow go. The dual-cam flows better, can rev higher, and can be more readily tuned (one cam gear vs. two). Lastly, a single-cam VTEC head exists for fuel economy only, with VTEC only on the intake lobes. Dual-cam VTEC has much more potential for power, with VTEC on both the intake an exhaust lobes.

Back