F22 Vs H22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

haccord141

hey everyone, i was wondering if i should go with an upgraded f22a engine for my accord, i have posted questions about the h22a and got all the results i needed, i was just wondering which is actually better, and i would like to know what the stats are on the f22 vs the h22. like addind aftermarket parts, and what if i want to trubo. if anyone has any answers plaease post. later.

peace

H22>F22, always.

For stats, check our reference section. It's more or less correct.

Plenty of aftermarket parts exist for the H-series engines. You just have to start looking online.

If you want to turbo, you can run 6-8 psi on stock internals. Any more than that, and you need to get forged pistons and resleeve the block. You also need to tune VTEC to work with boost, since VTEC and boost don't mix well.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Apr 29 2003, 02:49 PM
You also need to tune VTEC to work with boost, since VTEC and boost don't mix well.

HUH? can you substantiate this remark?

and does this hold true for the y8 (1996 ex) engine?

its aways more complicated for turbo'd cars to run with vtec, not that its not possible, its just harder to do then non vtec turbo.

Originally posted by 90 accord@Apr 29 2003, 09:57 PM
its aways more complicated for turbo'd cars to run with vtec, not that its not possible, its just harder to do then non vtec turbo.

:werd:

One function of VTEC is that is causes the intake and exhaust valves to overlap more than normal. This is great for n/a applications, since it moves the stuff in and out of the cylinders quicker. However, it's bad for boost. Think of it like this....you're trying to cram all that extra air and fuel into the cylinders, so you don't need to have the overlap. In fact you don't want it at all, because if the exhaust valve is open too long while that pressurized air and fuel is filling the cylinder, it's going to pass right out into your exhaust.

Hope that helps Mr. karnash. :)

I did the h22 drop in my car.... all I'll say is check your seatbelt before because you shave seconds on quater mile time and for all the turbo bullshit there talking about just ignore them worry about getting the motor in. You'll always be able to turbo charge it later as for the F22A4 it would be fun to turbo charge but no one makes a turbo manifold for the motor, you could get someboby to probally build you a custom turbo manifold but by the time you spent all the money you could drop in the h22 get a vtec controller and be kickin some ass already trust me I checked into it.

yo 90AccordH22,
how much did it cost u to do the swap, people say that u shouldn't spend more then 3 g's to do a full swap. this is a long shot, but if u live in so cal tell me were u got it from. thanx

peace

DOHC is right but i think that only holds true for H series. B and F series motors Don't seem to have the same problems when it comes to boosting w/VTEC as h series. It's mostly quite the opposite, they boost better with the involvment of VTEC.

" I did the h22 drop in my car.... all I'll say is check your seatbelt before because you shave seconds on quater mile time and for all the turbo bullshit there talking about just ignore them worry about getting the motor in. You'll always be able to turbo charge it later as for the F22A4 it would be fun to turbo charge but no one makes a turbo manifold for the motor, you could get someboby to probally build you a custom turbo manifold but by the time you spent all the money you could drop in the h22 get a vtec controller and be kickin some ass already trust me I checked into it. "

Well it sounds like your making the decsion instead of giving him a choice himself. You can get a 2g eclipse manifold and redrill/port it to fit the a1-a6 motors, but you will have to grind off the flange and weld on the t3 flange ( if your going t3/t4 ). You also can get it custom done, there is a guy on WWW.HONDA-TECH.COM that does this. I just im'd him today ( i'll give you his name if you want it ) to ask for a price and he said he would do it for $225, thats cheaper than a header from DC sports.

What are you goals ? If you just want to have some fun turbo the f22, the compression is begging for boost, and with proper management you can boost up to 10-12 psi daily. I was going through the choice of h22 vs boosted f22 but i want the boost NOW and the H22 should be more geared for all motor apps ( not saying turboing is impossible, just more work involved ). If you want h series and want to go turbo my suggestion would be h23, the stock motors can take a good amount of boost and you would be able to see very decent numbers with a nice sized turbo. There is a guy on honda tech that has a built h23 running 337 whp and 330 something lbs of tq @ 12 psi.

Thats the way i see it, Fun = boosted f22. Real Speed Built H23 turbo
Make your choice guy.

I'd think it would hold true for B-series as well, since they're both DOHC VTEC. D and F series would be different, since their version of VTEC (SOHC) is there for gas mileage, not performance, and doesn't have the overlap problems that a boosted DOHC VTEC engine would.

Back