F22A: cyl #3 dead, oil all over plug wires

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

accord_wagon

I have a 92 accord that was idling rough every once in a while, that was consuming an alarming amount of oil (though not visibly burning it), that one day to the next lost the #3 cylinder!

I got it home and checked the oil and it was pretty much gone. So, I filled 'er back up and hoped for the best. I started pulling plug wires while it was running, to see if I lost a cylinder, and discovered oil all over the wire boots. I also began to notice the dirt around the valve cover seal to be impregnated with motor oil.

OK, last thing: I pulled the plugs and compared them. The ones out of the good cylinders had clean, healthy electrodes. The #3 plug was simply covered in motor oil.

I have a bad feeling that my #3 piston ring is worn and that my problem has nothing to do with the inexpensive and easy to repair valve cover gasket.

Any thoughts on what may be going on?

Swap Question: If I have to replace the engine, what problems would I run into if I go for an H22? I would like to keep the manual transmission that I already have.
... would I be better off buying another F22A?

Thanks

As it turns out, this was all a silly coincidence.

I began swapping spark plug wires for some kicks and on the very first two that I swapped (#3 & #2) the engine began running perfectly. Freakin' A! All my oil consumption was due to that stupid valve cover seal and the dead cylinder was due to the silly wire.

It's almost unbelievable: This car has 210K miles on it and it's still alright.

... so I'm thinking: since I'm not buying a new engine anytime soon, what simple things could I do to this one to make it a little more exciting?

Back