F22a

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B|ade

Hey guys,

I have a 92 Accord LX and am lookin at turbo'ing the engine. Just wondering if neone out there had done it before! What type of boost the engine/tranny can withstand with stock internals? And whether it is actually a good engine to turbo!

save the money, get a H22. with all that oil consumption budget, accesories, and setups, you could of bought a H22 already.

ive seen some kits that run 8psi, so i guess you can run it around there.

its easier and cheaper to work with something you already have.

turbo f22<H22

but if youre built like that.. turbo H22>turbo F22

i disagree.
i'd do the h22 swap before i boosted an f-series. there is no market for f-series.

F-Max makes a manifold for the F series cars... Accord or Prelude.

There was a 94 Accord LX here in town with a SIMPLE simple T3 with a pretty good intercooler running 10 PSI every day. Car was smooth as silk, UNTUNED, and ran a 14.6 on 17" wheels and Nitto 555 street tires, not the drag radials.

It was fun to say the least. Bad thing was, the car ran BETTER with the CEL on, because it was running so lean without the CEL on. It was an easy 13 second car with tuning.

If you just want something to have fun with, turbo the F22. It's about the same choice as staying D series, or going B on a Civic. Do what you think you want to do.

BTW, the stock compression ratio on an F22 is 8.8:1. VERY safe territory for boost, and if you do mess up, those engines can be bought from people who did H swaps for $300-$500, easy.

Blade is in Australia, and the market here for the H22A isnt really any bigger than the F22.

In fact its been quite easy for me to find the parts i need, manifold and piping becomes custom work otherwise the rest is the same in either case. If the engine needs to be built the parts needed for a h22 build will most likely be just as hard to source as for an F22 build here i'd think.

I agree with SiR Kid, boost the F22...i mean the Accord is never gonna be the quickest on the streets, so it'll be a fun car. Boost will be much more fun than a H22A, and much more unique. There are very few boosted Honda's around here! (if you ran quicker than 12.2 in a FWD in Australia you'd literally be in the Top 10 FWD cars in the country, and the third placed car on that list hasn't run in about 2 years).

Poid,

You have a good point man

A boost'ed Accord would be really unique here (Especially a 92 accord!) Hahah ... I know it'll never be as quick as some of the other fwd cars here but it could still be interesting.

For the same price as the h22a conversion I could have a bit more power boosting the f22a and it would be much more fun!

Thanks for your help with all this guys.

The only thing that I am worried about is how much boost the auto tranny for the f22a can handle before it starts slipping. Down the line I will be doing an auto to manual conversion but for now that seems to be the only thing that I am worried about!

check our links page... under shops/dealers there is a place that makes auto tranny insternals. i can't vouch for them being any good, but hey, you never know

Oh it'll be interesting alright...cant wait to surprise the shit out of a few WRX and skyline owners. I might not beat them but the sight of an Accord that close to em will shock them i think! Especially after a few people have said "you cant reliably turbo a Honda...especially not an accord". We'll see i guess :D

Not to mention the sight of an Accord with front mount...it'll be different for sure :)

The tranny should hopefully be OK till you get the manual conversion done...hopefully :)

hey I am thinking about doing the same thing, more for show purposes than for go....gotta love that turbo sound.... but let me know how it goes because I have been putting a turbo kit together and I have gotten good prices on the parts or I wouldn't have even considered it.. I have a couple of questions though...

1. will a 38mm external wastegate go good with a garrett t3 turbo?

2. is there anywhere on the internet to buy charge pipes for a 92 accord?

3. will a FMU w/a 12:1 fixed ratio be good for 7-8lbs of boost?

those are a couple of little questions I have thought about and I will surely come up with more! but Poid, let me know how urs turns out!!

Back