F22A1 > F22B1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
Well, it's like this. 92 Honda Accord LX(friend's) blows an engine. 367k on that bish. I bought an engine from a fellow Hondaswapper. He used his harness and a couple little things for his H22 swap. So, I basically just needed to drop in the F22B1, use the F22A harness, and add a couple wires. That's what I thought.

I'm still not done. This is harder than my H22 swap. The F22A has more in common with the H22A, than the F22B1.

All mounts were gone from the engine, accessory and motor mounts. Fuel regulator, and a couple intake pieces were missing. I had to add an O2 bung to the stock manifold. Internal coil vs. external coil. I still had to lengthen a few wires on the 92 harness, and have a couple wires to add. I can't figure out why, but someone removed all of the small coolant lines from the engine. They aren't ran the same as the F22A, or an H22A. The fuel line enters on the opposite side of the engine.

OK, here's where I'm at. I pulled the F22A. I removed the harness. I wrapped it around the new engine, and lengthened a few wires. I also wired the internal coil for power. The fuel rails are not interchangeable. Luckily, I had all of the throttlebody and intake parts in my garage to replace the missing pieces. I replaced them, and reran all of the coolant lines. I will use the stock MAP sensor on the firewall. The throttlebody had a different mount for the transmission kickdown, so I switched that over. The accessory mounts would not fit onto the block, they interfered with eachother a bit. I used a grinder to modify the mounts. The powersteering mount seemed to be the culprit, and I still only had two out of three bolt holes line up. I get that shit on. I was hoping to use the F22A exhaust manifold, since it had a place for the O2 sensor. Mounting holes are different. I had the F22B1 manifold and downpipe, but not the smaller section between the downpipe and cat. An aftermarket header would be nice, but I want to finish. So I drilled the manifold, welded a washer into place for thickness and strength, then tapped the mani with the appropriate threads. At least for now, it will read from #1 and #4. My buddy can change it later.
It looks like I'm ready to rock at this point. Everything seems ready to go for reinstallation. I'm dropping the motor into place, and I go to put the drivers side mount into position. No fucking way!!!! Different bolt pattern between the chassis half, and the motor half. The motor half on the F22A doesn't look like it will bolt up to the F22B1 either. I think I'll weld a little and tap new threads rather than buy another mount.

What a fucking nightmare. :(

As a NOOB, I installed my H22A in two days, by myself :blink: . I have all of that into this swap, maybe even three days, and it's not mounted up yet. Everything that could go wrong, pretty much has. This should have been a simple swap. If anyone is considering this swap, make sure nothing is missing, including the motor mounts. :roll:

Seriously guys. I got the car running today, and all is well. This swap has turned out to be the biggest pain in my ass. The H22A swap was so much easier. I've added to the list the lengthening and relocation of vacuum lines, and welding of exhaust.

Totally not worth the trouble for a couple of horsepower. I've told people not to do this swap before, but I didn't think it would be that bad.

Good friend, cheap engine, bunch of hassle. <_<

F22b engine swap in a 92 honda accord

Does the transmisson match up with the engine or do you need to change the transmission? I'm thinking about doing this motor swap with my 92 honda accord ex and want to know if it matches or not.

All 90-97 Accord motors and trannys are interchangeable, H-series trannys will work as well.

F22a1>f22b1

So I read your article and thought before reading that I had an option to swap out parts from my friends engine to mine. I figured before I bought his whole engine for parts I might as well as you this. I'm pretty sure that my friend has the accord with a B1, and I have the prelude with the A1. Now the question is do you think it is posible for me to just pull the head off of his and swap it out with mine? I hope you still respond to messages on a regular basis because I wanna get my Lude going again. Thank you for your time.

-Albert

Back