F22a1 >H22a swap Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

T23755

Im gettin ready to drop in my H22a in my 95 lude s. The old F22a1 is out but i still have a few questions i cant seem to find a definative answer to.

1 Can i use my old fuel rail (F22a) on my H22a? The line comes in on the opposite side. If not where cani get a decent fuel line kit?

2 I've been told both that the h22a timing tensioner is no good and also that its fine, i have a new h22a tensioner is it worth it to go and get an h23 tensioner? If i do get an h23 how do i go about installing it, i assume i need to install another spring and spring retainer. Is that all there is to it?

3 Ive been told the left axle will need to be changed to an h23 axle but the part numbers are the same when i looked them up. Hopefuly ill be installing them saturday so if i do need a new one i wanna make sure its in stock before then.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you know of any other problems i might encounter but haven't thought of please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Ps the H22a is a 94 if it makes a difference

Im gettin ready to drop in my H22a in my 95 lude s. The old F22a1 is out but i still have a few questions i cant seem to find a definative answer to.

1 Can i use my old fuel rail (F22a) on my H22a? The line comes in on the opposite side. If not where cani get a decent fuel line kit?

2 I've been told both that the h22a timing tensioner is no good and also that its fine, i have a new h22a tensioner is it worth it to go and get an h23 tensioner? If i do get an h23 how do i go about installing it, i assume i need to install another spring and spring retainer. Is that all there is to it?

3 Ive been told the left axle will need to be changed to an h23 axle but the part numbers are the same when i looked them up. Hopefuly ill be installing them saturday so if i do need a new one i wanna make sure its in stock before then.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you know of any other problems i might encounter but haven't thought of please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Ps the H22a is a 94 if it makes a difference

I used the F22 rail on my H22 for my 93. If you want to use the H22, you're going to have to find a custom hose place to make the fuel line.

If you have a brand new H22 auto tensioner, I'd be tempted to use it and swap in the manual one later if you want to. I switched to manual tensioner on mine; any search will get you to a detailed install guide.

I use a auto trans, I assume you're talking about a manual so I dunno.

Bob

i used my accord fuel rail(F22A6) on my H22, and i used my accord axles. i also did the manual tensioner swap, and it was really hard to get the timing belt on. i saw a thread on here before about a custom length timing belt, might be worth searching for.

Thanks for the help guys. I got the engine in the car, and the axles DO fit so that answers that question. Im gonna try to use my F22a rail looks like the bolts will line up so its worth a shot. The problem i'm havin now is that the header on the H22a is 4-2-1 and my my F22a is a 4-1. i think i might be missing a piece to use the 4-2-1 because it only goesw 4-2. not only that but the H22a header has no spot for an o2 sensor. Ive read about people geting a 2-1 peice and custom welding it on does anyone know where i can find this piece, and what should i do about the o2 sensor????? thanks in advance!!

Ps there is what looks like a sensor of some kind, looks like a rectangular box with vac hoses to it and two nipples mounted under the intake manifold anyone know what this is cuz mine is broken. Some one told me maybe something to do with emisions.

Ok i found a 2-1 piece for a usdm H22. Looks like it will fit on the manifold end but im unsure of the pipe end. Im assuming it will bolt on to my F22 piping, and as far as the o2 sensor looks like it has a spot for it in the 2-1 and i can just lenghten the o2 sensor wire. Anyone know if this is true?? and as far as the unknown sensor goes i did some reasearch and i think it might be part of the IAB sys. i realize the IAB is pretty important but i cant seem to find parts for it anywhere so i cant confirm or not if it is part of the IAB and if it is where to find replacements. Also ive read that some one used a h23 external coil dizzy on their H22a can i use my F22a ext dizzy instead of the H22a internal? Can anyone enlighten me please? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
for those of you who used your old fuel rail (f22) did you use the h22a injectors or the f22a injectors??

Ok i found a 2-1 piece for a usdm H22. Looks like it will fit on the manifold end but im unsure of the pipe end. Im assuming it will bolt on to my F22 piping, and as far as the o2 sensor looks like it has a spot for it in the 2-1 and i can just lenghten the o2 sensor wire. Anyone know if this is true?? and as far as the unknown sensor goes i did some reasearch and i think it might be part of the IAB sys. i realize the IAB is pretty important but i cant seem to find parts for it anywhere so i cant confirm or not if it is part of the IAB and if it is where to find replacements. Also ive read that some one used a h23 external coil dizzy on their H22a can i use my F22a ext dizzy instead of the H22a internal? Can anyone enlighten me please? Thanks in advance!

-H22 injectors
-buy a Ebay header/flex pipe; it will fit right up to the H22 and will have a hole for the O2 sensor. Yes, you'll have to extend your O2 wiring.
-it's easier to just use the dizzy that came with the h22 (internal coil). Remove your external coil, cut and connect the thick yellow and yel/black wires that went to it and wrap up the smaller wire that's left over. It's not used.
-I'll check around to see if I have another IAB vacuum tank/solenoid

Bob

thanks for the help. i got the exhaust hooked up and i got a new iab vac tank so thats all good. right now im wiring in sensors but i noticed the iab sensor has 2 wires( black/yellow, and pink) i know pink goes into the ecu is black yellow ground? Also at the end of the rail that holds the injector plug on the h22a harness there is an extra connector that my f22a harness doesn't have is this gonna be a problem? the wires to ir are black/yellow and white/yellow. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated thanks in advance!

I found out the black/yellow is to power so i spliced it into the power side of the egr. hope this will work thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Back