F22A1 in a 1st Gen CRX - Stupid Idea?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nick the brit

Hey guys,
my brothers 94 Accord (F22A1) just developed a small leak in the head gasket at 140,000 miles. We found a 50,000 mile engine to switch into it instead of fixing his motor, so I have this 2.2 VTEC sat here.

I have a 1st gen CRX Si and was toying with the idea of swapping in his old motor once I've done the head gasket on it.

Am I wasting my time bothering with this thought?
I don't NEED a new engine in the CRX, but thought it might be a laugh.
Anyone done this, or is it just too much hassle. And after reading around the forum (difficult to search the 3 letter stuff - CRX F22 etc...) there is not too much info regarding swapping IN an F22. I am guessing I would need too much other stuff to make it viable (trans, driveshafts, ECU...)

All I would maybe do with the F22 is fix the head gasket and sell it (if it's even worth that).

Thanks for indulging a Noob.

Nick.

Awesome idea if you ask me. It'll be pretty quick also. Some guy put one in a 88-91 CRX and ran some decent times. You'd find its like an H-series swap, which are more common in the 2nd gen+ CRXs/Civics. What you're doing will pretty much be custom.

What you're doing will pretty much be custom.

That's what I was afraid of!
I was (naiively) hoping this would be a pretty painfree almost drop in deal. I'm more familiar with Subaru's and the rally car I'm building than Hondas.

If it looks like I need a trans, driveshafts, hubs and knuckles then I will pass.
I'll research the H22 swap and see what's involved if that looks similar.
I also have a contact at a "swap-shop" that may be able to advise me.

Thanks for the pointers,
Nick.

It would be viable if you had a parts car to rob all the things you'd need, but if all you have is the engine (long block), I wouldn't suggest it. It will turn into a very deep money pit faster than you can shovel.

Back