F22A4/F22A6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

F22accord

Hey Just curious but does anyone know the difference between an f22a4 and an f22a6?Is it all in the head(valves,cam etc.)or is it something in the bottom end that gives it the ten hp difference?The reason I ask is I am going to have my a4 head off for a valve job and stuff(valve seals leak)soon but I will scrap it for an a6 head if I can bolt on the ten extra while I have it apart anyway.Any help would be great.

should be pretty similar. the a6 was probably just tuned better. there wont be much of a difference if out put on the a6 head versus the a4 head.

I was in a similar situation at one time. I asked a knowledgable parts guy at the Honda counter. His answer, different cam, and different intake, different header. There is not a huge difference, but it is there....I was scrapping my F22A1 Block for a F22A6, that had a busted timing belt. That is why I did not change over the intake and head. I did see the difference when I had the two side by side.

Later, TAB

Yes, the A6 head has two sets of intake runners. Short and long runners, if you do the swap make sure you get the intake system too. But the air box excetera should be close to the same... I'm currently looking over some other options like a F20B DOHC Vtec (`90-03 JDM Accord Si-R model engine). Namely, using the head from that. (a 180 hp motor) Or maybe it would be easier to hook that up =P.

I'm also looking for a 5 speed auto. But all I seem to find are for v6's. Any ideas out there while I'm writting? TTYL & Mahalo -coyote

i might be wrong...but i thought f20b dont come with vtec...or honda haven't introduced vtec in early 90s atleast till 92?

Yeah, VTEC wasn't introduced to the F20B until the mid to late 90's. There was an earlier version that made around 160 horses (I think) in the early 90's.

i know this thread is old but just wanna make a few corrections in case some other noobs wants to do this like i am....

I was in a similar situation at one time. I asked a knowledgable parts guy at the Honda counter. His answer, different cam, and different intake, different header. There is not a huge difference, but it is there....

first he called a header a head, a head is completely different. the headers (as well as the head if you must know) is the exactly the same on the a1 and a6. its the a4 header thats different(other than that the a4 is identicle to the a1). the a6 has the better cam like he said, a better ECU(computer), and INTAKE MANIFOLD, dont get that confused with the intake, i know i would mix this up if i were reading this as my first thread...

ok now the a4 has the better header however any cheap header can surpass this and will probably be the same price after a recycle fee at a pick a part place...however dont go cheap i made this mistake and will be correcting it soon..... not that ive had any problems but just a waste of money when im going to have to get a better header when i do my upgrades...

Yes, the A6 head has two sets of intake runners. Short and long runners, if you do the swap make sure you get the intake system too. But the air box excetera should be close to the same... I'm currently looking over some other options like a F20B DOHC Vtec (`90-03 JDM Accord Si-R model engine). Namely, using the head from that. (a 180 hp motor) Or maybe it would be easier to hook that up =P.

I'm also looking for a 5 speed auto. But all I seem to find are for v6's. Any ideas out there while I'm writting? TTYL & Mahalo -coyote

why would you use the whole motor the bottom end and main caps would be stronger and designed to spin at a higher speed that its non vtec counterpart just like an ls/b20 vtec has the same week points

Back