F22a4/h23 Swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StLAccord

New guy here I have a 1991 Accord EX 5-speed thinking of doing a swap from F22A4 to an H23.I have 2 concerns number one Tranny or CV shafts Stay from my car is this correct?Second and the one I'm more concerned about is the H23 is OBD2 my car is not any OBD(what the hell is OBD?)is it just a matter of changing the computer(which I have to do anyway)or am I going to have to rape another Prelude and get the harness and exhaust sensors?Has anyone out there done one of these successfully?I just want a little more power and DAILY DRIVEABILITY.Any help would be appreciated. :blink:

Yes, your axles will swap right over.

You CAN use the tranny, but I wouldn't recommend it. The F-series tranny is weak, and it's geared way too long to fully take advantage of the H22's power.

OBD classifications explained
Differences between OBD1 and OBD2

The H23 came in both OBD1 and OBD2. Your car is OBD0. You'll have to do some rewiring to make the engine swap work. I'd suggest an OBD1 H23, as your life will be much easier that way.

The H22 swap into an Accord is VERY daily driveable.

:eek: Hello the h23 swap is very easy i have a 1991 honda accord lx i just drop an h23 into my car. it is not to hard long as you have some mechanic back gournd the prower feels realy good with an obd1 engine it just plung and play just like dochacoord said

Hey I appreciate the info. I still need to go take a look at the engine and see if my buddy can come up with the ECU.Its a h23a1 Iknow that is probably not the most popular swap for drastic power but I am only giving a couple hundred for the ECU and engine.Its still a 30hp gain over my f22a4.Anyway one last question how can I identify OBD1 from OBD2 just by looking at the engine it is out of the car.Some have told me by the number of wires on O2 sensor is that correct and is that the only way.Oh by the way on the tranny info. this motor came out of an auto.Lude so I will have to stick with my manual for right now.I am confident in my ability to mechanically to do the swap but I am new to the world of honda and just trying to get all the info. I need before hand so I can make the swap quick without to much down time.Thanks again for your alls help.

It's a pretty decent changeover from your engine right now. You should notice a pretty big difference in both torque and top-end.

You can either look at the ECU or see how many O2 sensors are on the car to try to tell if it's OBD1 or OBD2. It'll have one O2 sensor if it's OBD1, and two if it's OBD2. Someone on here has a pic comparing all 4 kinds of ECU's (OBD0, OBD1, OBD2, OBD2b), hopefully it'll get posted here in the next day or two to help you out.

hey i have a 1991 accord and was looking into the swap hows it pull i mean for about 2 grand do you really feel alot of power or what

Originally posted by hondaman16lx@Jun 24 2003, 07:57 AM
hey i have a 1991 accord and was looking into the swap hows it pull i mean for about 2 grand do you really feel alot of power or what

Ummm, I don't think he has it done yet....that's why he asking about it.

Haven't done the swap yet will be a month or so I'd say.Right now she's in pieces at my shop getting body work done and prepped for paint.I will keep you guys in formed about how the motor swap goes though(in reply to Hondaman)I did get hold of my friend and he says this motor has one O2 sensor only so it sounds like OBD1.(in response to dohcvtec_accord)Again thanks for all the info.

I heard h23 made more bottom end power than the h22 and where better in drag racing... or is that untrue!

An H23 would only be better for drag racing if it were turboed.

The H23 and H22 make equal peak torque, but the H22 makes 30-40 more horses depending on year and market (US vs JDM). How is this not better for drag racing? :)

Well, maybe not kick his butt, but at least give you a good-sized advantage. Let us know how it turns out if you line up together.

Hey man there's a guy (90accordh22) with a spare H23 manul tranny that he's selling just private mesage him and tell I talked to you he'll cut you a good deal.

Back