F22A6 with VTEC Head , Turbo ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

amadeuscr

Im helping a friend who changed his f22a6 head for an VTEC head from an accord , he lost power since he changed the head , he lost compression too, at this point he would like to know if he did something wrong cause he is thinking about putting a turbo kit , but he needs to know if he has to do something before the turbo, and how much whp that engine can handle stock ?

Thanks for all the help ,

ps: pictures of the engine swap.

Attachments

• Image222.jpg
    Image222.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 1,835
  • Image223.jpg
    Image223.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 642
  • Image224.jpg
    Image224.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 536
  • Image225.jpg
    Image225.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 694
  • Image226.jpg
    Image226.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,094
I think people are taking as much time as it took me to understand what you wrote there LOL.

I dont understand why he would lose power switching heads. I assume you did a compression test? Leakdown test?

The stock F22 block can handle roughly 300whp with a great tune. Otherwise 2-250whp is easily attainable.

Im just trying to find a reason why he lost power and compression in the switching , we did compression test and leakdown test , everything looks fine, and honestly I can't feel vtec at all ! , is there something we missed ?

What map are you running on the P28 ecu?

How do you know you lost compression? That part Im confused on. I would have to say its tune related or maybe something off with the wiring. I know the ECU needs to see certain things to engage Vtec, maybe those things arent getting to the ECU properly.

I know , we ran the cables needed so it can work , we fix all cel codes and aparently vtec has no problem opening ( regarding cel ) that's why is so confusing

we tried this one , and the other one I couldn't get a picture of! but this one is the one he is using right now

Attachments

• 110601318_o.jpg
    110601318_o.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 388
Did you install the ECU at the sametime as the headswap?

This is the whole story

My friend had installed a normal f22a6 in a civic hatch 92 , he was using a p05 ECU ( the one that came with the hatch), somebody else did the electrical job. which was not the greatest job, when he got the vtec head , I told him that I will help him installing the solenoid and pressure switch to the new p28 , some things were not working right on his car cause check engine was always on. and the guy who did the installation put a sticker on the check engine light so the light was not able to be seen , we took it out and we check all the codes , and was TPS and VTec codes, I ran the wires for TPS directly to the ECU cause the installation of the guy was very hard to understand, and we connected all vtec stuff , at the end check engine light was with no codes, like everything fine, and the car didn't gain that much power after we finish. probably it's a electrical stuff , but we did compression test and he has like 140psi per cyl , is too low , so I don't know , he had more with the other head, and he worked on the vtec before installing it so can't be the head I would assume, what do you think ?

Thanks

The P28 ecu needs to be tuned for your car for 1. I cant say for sure why there's no vtec without you logging the car and making sure all of the sensors are being read correctly by the ecu. Without the ecu seeing the right info it will not activate vtec.

im considering this same swap in my 92 accord with the f22a6 what wiring harness would i need? one from a cd5 accord with the vtec along with a computer from one and the vtec solenoid stuff? all i know is this is up in the air i have a head from an f23a1 and i obviously need to change some sensors on the head back to obd1 correct? what intake manifold should i use then i plan on running on all motor and increasing the compression with forged internals and titanium valves, springs and retainers etc.

Back