F22B1 in 95 Civic CX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jonny197

I just bought a 1995 Civic Hatchback CX that has a D15B8 with blown piston rings, blown head gasket, crankshaft that needs to be balanced, and a clutch that needs to be replaced. Would it be better to rebuild this engine or to replace it with an F22B1 from a 96 Accord? My buddy is going to sell me the F22B1 for $400 with literally everything that I would need including the tranny and all accessory parts for the engine. I helped him rebuild the engine from the block up so I know that it is in good condition. I am just wondering if I will run into any problems with this swap. Thanks a lot in advance.

Can't go wrong with $400. But:

The F22 isn't the most desireable engine. Its heavy, only produces 150hp and 150 torque (which can be produced from a D series with a couple of bolt ons, or any of the b series) and doesn't have much aftermarket support. And you have to remember, He can't supply everything you need for the swap out of the accord. You'll need custom mounts ($150-$350), shift linkage ($100) and axles ($75ish each), and a conversion harness ($150) and a hand full of other little bits and pieces.. (radiator hoses, etc)

But, all of that stuff is compatible with the H22 which IS a good motor. So you could use it like a stepping stone. Toss in the f22, get it to fit, get all the parts, and tool around in it while you save up more cash for an h22, then that will just bolt right in with your parts.

If you're looking to go fast in straight lines, its a good route to go (good hp and torque) . Not the best engine out there for the twisties because of weight.

Back