F22b1 Tuning Ideas

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

minivan_don

like everyone else out there, they want to put more pep' into their cars. the car is a 94-97 accord 2 dr ex w/ 5spd. i need some ideas to put some more hp to the wheels besides the basic intake, header, cat back set-up.... but im not talking of going supercharged, turbo, or swapping motors. im also not too horny on opening up the engine to put new internals in but will seriously consider doing MINOR internal mods (ie: valve springs. cam i would get done professionally). ive done some looking out there but have been coming up short handed on parts such as throttle bodies or intake manifolds.

i was hoping to make the jump from the 145 stock hp to roughly 200, which will likely result in a whopping 160-175hp. (thats with the basic mods mentioned above)

on a side note, i was thinking of making some type of test pipe with an old catalytic converter.... what might that do in terms of noise and the type of exhust coming out of my car (hopefully not noticable by cops!)?? is there any parts that i could grab off any other honda/acura that may help?

anyone's thoughts.... ??? thanks for any help you may have

The only way to see those kinds of numbers without boost or an engine swap, and without "opening up the engine" would be nitrous. No way are you going to see even close to 200 horses at the crank without a full n/a build, including a new cam, headwork, and a pretty much new rotating assembly.

Running a test pipe will seriously increase your noise, and maybe add a horsepower or two, tops.

nitrous is probably the only solution, but if you don't wanna go nitrous, give it a high CR piston, it's farely easy to change pistons, if you can change the cams, you should me able to change the pistons, c'mon.....get down dirty.

Even if he does, though, he likely won't get close to 200 hp. Some high comp pistons, a new cam and a new valvetrain will only be good for 25-35 horses, tops.

basically there saying that if you want more performance out of your f22b1, you have to go forced.

yea, id consider nitros but i dont know much about it. like what size? type of shot? and the effects that it could have on my engine in the longrun :huh: . IF i were to do an engine swap, what are the motors that would work n what would i have to make it fit?

this is the same problem that i was faced with when looking at a 6th gen civic hb and dropping a new motor in!!! i want to have a faster than your average daily driver but im not liking the price tags for the honda parts to do the swap. a good/descent 97/98 hb dx will run me about $10K CDN.... there's no way i could afford to spend $3K-4K on a swap, not to mentiong my insurance (FUK YOU ICBC!!).

too many options..... thanks for the reply's though

Gude sucks. I know there are other companies out there that make new cams for the F22 (unlike Gude's reground cams).

If you want to swap, an H-series engine is your best bet.

how about cams, pulleys,msd,intake manifold,air intake, full exhaust,chip,head porting or maybe you don't want to get dirty.

yeah i see that thanks for pointing out my retardedness i will go get that checked and probably check the dates from now on he-he.:confused:

thanks

You can get a light weight flywheel for starters and might as well upgrade the clutch seeing the the transmission will be dropped. Find a skunk two intake and bolt it on, dissable the balance chain to the ballance gear, upgrade the head gasket while your at it upgrade connecting rods and pistons, do a true cold air intake with a ram scoop (fully functional scoop) seing that your going n/a get a tuned ecm, you can either swap the head or tune for the head you have, you could put an intercooler on it if you wanted but that adds weight, put a high flow cat on it have the head ported and intake ported, also put a larger exhaust to go with the high flow cat and ported set up, you could lose the power steeting pump and the ac all together (the less work then engine puts into luxury the more the horse), upgrade the distributor for one that suplies a stronger spark also upgrade the spark plugs and wires, add a hyper lube oil additive to the oil, upgrade the vtec solenoid, upgrade the alternator to battery, ground to battery, engine ground and transmission ground with 0 or 00 guage 100%oxygen free copper upgrade the power, battery backup and ground wire to the ecu with 12 guage subwoofer speeker wire, upgrade fuel rail, fuel pump and fuel injectors, upgrade the pcv and hoses as well as radiator hoses, install lights that are bright but use way less power like HIDs for headlights and LEDs for turn signals, brake/running lights and revers lights (you will need resistors for brake lights and turn signals. Take it to a dyno to do a final tuning. Turbo charging is a good idea to go with these mods just t off the oil pressure sensor for oil feed put a hose bong in the oil pan, t off the heater core for turbo cooling depending on the turbo and tune for the turbo mod with the other mods. A 70 shot direct injection on the intake for nitros is a great idea to go along with all the upgrades. Any other questions, just text 706 301 6406.

Back