F23A1 To Same Engine Swap Questions.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hello all,

My first time to Hondaswap and I and impressed with the wealth of knowledge contained here. I recently had catastrophic engine failure in my 02 Honda Accord SE 4cyl 2.3L automatic tranny, which my mechanic told we was due to a connecting rod breaking and doing God knows what to the engine itself. Long story short it needs a new engine. In an effort to cut costs, i have decided to undertake the job of replacing the engine myself.

I have been doing a lot of research on what ill need. I have Already ordered a New F23A Engine from got-jdm.com which should be a bolt-in. Some of the things i need to do the swap are below, I’m not sure if there are more I should get:

Timing Belt
Oil Filter
Spark Plugs
Balance Shaft Belt
Oil
Transmission Fluid
Coolant
Water pump

My question then is, what is the best approach for removing this engine. I found some good info here

https://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/engine-removal-guide-29124/

But I am wondering If anyone has done something similar to this, and could give me some things to be careful of and look out for. I plan on being very meticulous and labeling where every part goes with masking tape and ziplocks. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks all J

how did the swap come out...?

swap..

OH! lol I lost the focus of this thread by smothering it with another problem :D

Well - the swap was completed near flawlessly- And the engine sounds great - no throttle or Idle issues - VTEC kicks in nicely around 4k with my busted, long geared F23 tranny.

I am getting a used F22 tranny from MiamiEgGSr. Says it should be here on thursday and ill be able to shift correctly :p.

toughest thing with the entire swap i thought - was using the cherry pciker to maneuver the engine out of the bay it had to swing out almost vertically lol- getting it in was just as challenging - especially when all my friends left me to do the work myself since it was a Friday they all wanted to go out and have fun. I ended up dropping it in by myself- Getting it seated and mounted was challenging period :) . but i got it in, and I will soon be wrestling with the tranny.

unfortunately i didn't know about the broken tranny sooner, would have been so much easier to put it on with the engine out - but oh well.

thank you to all who helped me with the swap- it came out very successfully and I was glad to share my progress with all of you. I plan to share any future swaps with you all in the future :)

good work man im thinking of doing a direct swap in the future, u think i could do it with just the wools i have at home?

i'd have to say that depends on the tools you own.

i'd have to say that depends on the tools you own.

correct :) - you need some kind of engine hoist with chains - i dont see the engine coming out safely any other way . An engine stand isn't needed but it helps - I would invest in an impact set if you have it. Those spindle nuts on the axles and the crank pulley nut are a bitch without. And those engine mounts need the proper amount of torque that I just dont think you can get with a traditional/socket ratchet set.

So did the tranny break when you dropped it or what, lol. I wouldn't think that a drop would kill it, if it was only a foot or so. Did you ever run the transmission with the correct amount of fluid and no leaks?

Transmissions arn't too bad. Every car that i've had to do, you could sneak the trans out by undoing the front/rear/trans mounts and tipping the motor. The trans should just slide right out the side (well kinda).

91-you don't need to swap your motor, your motor is fine. Seriously, the only thing that ever happens to these motors is they might burn a little oil.

So did the tranny break when you dropped it or what, lol. I wouldn't think that a drop would kill it, if it was only a foot or so. Did you ever run the transmission with the correct amount of fluid and no leaks?

Transmissions arn't too bad. Every car that i've had to do, you could sneak the trans out by undoing the front/rear/trans mounts and tipping the motor. The trans should just slide right out the side (well kinda).

91-you don't need to swap your motor, your motor is fine. Seriously, the only thing that ever happens to these motors is they might burn a little oil.

Yes, i think it did - it must have been the perfect drop or something- cuz i only get 2 and 4 gears, and thats with B/C selenoid unpluged - else with everything hooked up - i cant get out of 1st gear.

Back