Failed etest! these numbers look bad?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

feet_

went for e test today. failed.
got a 90 integra, with a b16, with hi flow cat. i just bought it.
heres the numbers.
@2500 rpm
HC PPM
Limit 200; reading 292

CO%
Limit 1; reading 4.24

NO PPM
N/A

RPM 2659
DILUTION:16.26

@Idle
HC PPM
Limit 200; reading 345

CO%
Limit 1; reading 2.91

NO PPM; N/A

RPM 894
DILUTION:15.73

I was just wondering how bad these numbers are.
it went with no tune up.
oil in the engine was still a gold color.
should i change the o2 sensor along with a tune up?,based on these numbers.
or just do a tune up.

Your HC (Hydrocarbons) were fuckin high, which basically means you have unburnt fuel. So i would recommend doing a tune up and get some better spark plugs so they burn better, and some decent wires. I also heard on another thread that you can buy a fuel pressure regulator, and turn it down, then go take your smog test.

yeah those numbers are preety high. . .do the tune up, check all your vacume lines, retard the timing, check to make sure you charcol box is hooked up (haha mine wasn't and i got numbers like those) and do a search about this, i know theres some more, i just can't remember, anyways my b16 passed ca emissions so don't give up

a hi flow cat affect the test?
2 years old

hell yeah, thats your prob...replace that thing with a stock one, the cheap ones don't last a week (not quite that bad, but you get my point) but replace that and try again

your high flow cat maybe the problem, look on it to see if it has a CARB or EPA # on it, as a lot of times cats listed as high flow cats are not legal cats, and do less than a real cat. Also replace your pcv valve, it is cheap to fix.

thanks dudes
buddys got a stock cat for me to use.
replacing pcv valve too.
I found a code 7 , the tps is dead.
what tps's can i use, i have a 90 civic cx can i use that one.?

there was a post in here earlier about the cheapest way to fix this:

goto your local hardware store and get some (goofy ass named) alcohol, denatured i believe, and poor some in your tank, make you run lean while not hurting your engine.

Yup, exactly. run 66% alcohol, 33% Gas. And don't be smart asses about the percent, if you want it perfect, then 2 parts alcohol, 1 part gas

you still need to get the motor up to temperature as well.
a properly warmed motor will have less HC and CO, but too hot an your Nx goes up.

Back