Fannie & Freddie

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah. Your'e right. Its much better to live in someone else's house and pay them the rent, so instead of investing money over time, you're just tossing it out the window.

No, A home's value on average, increases at the normal rate of inflation, which is 3-4%. After property taxes, interest, and maintenance, the effective rate becomes closer to 1%. Consider then then that most people upgrade and move before they ever really own a piece of property and the effective rate sinks even further into fractions of a percent. There's nothing wrong with owning a house but it isn't the "investment" that banks and other lending institutions want you to think it is.

so the gov't is going to step in and prop this house of cards up a little longer
i still think housing prices are overinflated
10 years ago you could go out and buy a simple house in my area for 30-50K
now you're lucky to get a shit pit for 130K
the prices of houses to income is just no longer realistic
i think the ass would fall out of the housing market without this bail out... but along with it would be our whole economy

free market my ass

Government intervention is responsible for many a mess. You are exactly right. In a true free market, GM would have died years ago because they are poorly managed, poorly run. The same with these two F & F and the insurance industry. If things were allowed to run their course, consumers would be better off. We don't need the government to protect us from evil corporations.

and now AIG, sigh. maybe one day they'll take over hondaswap

HondaSwap.com is a privately held, profitable company. More businesses should follow my model.

Pretty sad, actually, that a kid (me) can run something successfully without the need for capital.

HondaSwap.com is a privately held, profitable company. More businesses should follow my model.

Pretty sad, actually, that a kid (me) can run something successfully without the need for capital.

You make the most out of what you have instead of over extending. Plus you market a quaility "product". So right there that puts you head and shoulders above a lot of other companies.

I believe you lack the need for capital because your physical infrastructure is limited to a working computer. Other than hosting fees and your own time, it is up to you to secure enough advertising revenue to cover your expenses so as not to operate at a loss. Am I correct? If Hondaswap became so large that you could not manage it alone, you would have to set up an office, hire employees, purchase supplies and equipment, maintain them, insurance costs, etc. In that case you may find you need some start up capital.

That's exactly my point.

You have people who buy an office, an overkill infrastructure, etc etc right from day one when they don't need it.

When Hs first started, it was on $9 a month shared hosting.

I STILL manage 99% of everything here myself.
The mods and stuff help out with the posts/etc, but everything else, I do personally.

I fake it as a linux admin. When i need help, I ask someone like rikeoshea who knows more abot it that I. if he can't get it, I outsource the job.

Back