1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fat fives question

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by YouKnowWhoIBee, Nov 29, 2004.

1. YouKnowWhoIBee

YouKnowWhoIBee my avatar is better.

Hey i just traded my enkei rs-5s for some fat fives today. He gave me some cash and his fat fives for my rims straight up.I got tired of the 17 inch wheels and i needed tires bad. I was wondering what could i do about the centercaps since they say acura on them? Will honda centercaps fit in the hole? I might powdercoat them or get them sprayed black. So could i fill the hole with bondo? I was just trying to get some suggestions thats all. Or do you think it will look dumb if it says acura and i have a 95 civic hatch? Just need some opinions or some tips. :D thanks in advance guys.

2. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

if you bondo you can't powder coat it

3. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

Just leave the Acura centercaps on, or buy Honda ones. They're all the same size.

4. YouKnowWhoIBee

You think i should just leave it alone then? My car will look like this... [​IMG]
    (borrowed form nstygreenhatch from civicland :ph34r: ) but minus the hood. :D

5. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

Leave the center caps alone. We all know that they are GS-R rims anyway. Honda and Acura are the same company. It's not really a big deal. Also not at all noticeable as long as the car is in motion.

I bought a set of fat fives last night for $100! The all season tires are them are in decent shape also. They are great rims to have. :)

6. YouKnowWhoIBee

100 bucks why so cheap? you got a great deal on them... i got mine for my reims but he paid me 300 for new tires. And my tires were all worn down . But i like mine. I am happy for myself :D

7. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

nice deal martine!! i got mine 4 years ago for 100 bucks with brand new snows on em. i left mine on, and i do get ppl saying "hey you have acura wheels" but that rarely happens anymore. good find!

8. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Don't leave the Acura on there, and don't buy Honda center caps. The dealer wants just over $100 for four caps. You can blank your caps for $10. Go to AutoZone and get a can of spray lacquer remover plus a can of automotive clear coat. Get some very fine steel wool too.

Spray the lacquer remover on the caps, but make sure you don't get too much on the plastic parts behind. Leave them shiny side up on a thick piece of cardboard or something. Wait five minutes, then tip the caps sideways and watch the "Acura" lettering literally slide off. Clean up the caps, then polish them with the steel wool if you feel like it. Clean up again to remove any bits of crap left on the caps, then spray 3-4 light coats of the clear. Don't let the clear dry completely between coats- this way you'll get a "deeper" look to the clear. Let the caps dry in a clean area, then reinstall. Mine have been fine with this method for the past 5 years.

9. YouKnowWhoIBee

WOw i never knew that thanks cal. I searched and searched for that and i am glad i found it... guess what i am doing tomorrow??? :ph34r:

10. phunky.buddha

You're welcome. :)

I wish I had taken pictures when I did it, but not too many people owned digital cameras back then. I've never had to restrip/respray the center caps though, and they've been through quite a bit of abuse. That should tell you a little something about the durability of the clear coat- plus it'll save you a ton of cash!

11. YouKnowWhoIBee

Was that ur white sedan on civicland mike?

12. phunky.buddha

:yes:

I'm an admin over there too.

13. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

Thanks! And you did okay yourself. I watch the online classifieds in my area like a hawk. I bought them off of an adult who sold his GSR last May and forgot that he had a second set of rims with his winter tires on them in his basement. And get this.... he sold his car because "it was due for an expensive maintenance"... we asked, and it was due for a timing belt. I was really curious as to what he sold his car for... but I didn't want to get upset in case he sold it for cheap also. He was asking for a $100 and that's what I gave him. Good thing because after I paid him, he said that he got a ton of emails asking about the rims. I would have felt like a jerk if I had offered him any less.

14. 99SiRidinLow

99SiRidinLow Senior Member

you can get a can of aircraft paint stripper and spray it on the ACURA... It'll take em right off :D

15. phunky.buddha

That's the same thing as the lacquer remover... just remember to follow up with clearcoat like I said earlier.

16. YouKnowWhoIBee

I did it and it looks good. The tires are going on tomorrow and they should be ready to roll. :D

17. phunky.buddha

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted