Favorite Rappers that Sold Out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

when people start calling eminem a sellout I start to twitch, and get veins bulging out and such. The guy is a genius. and he has NEVER sold out. He's never done a SINGLE product endorsement, corporate sponsorship, etc. He isn't some fucking pepsi or nike posterchild like some *cough* other entertainers/athletes. He represents himself, and just because he actually started to have his music produced, by dr. dre, doesn't mean he is a fucking sellout. it's ridiculous - a complete misnomer, and false implication.

And what the fuck? artists are only TRUE sellouts when they tailor their music to suit the corporate types, ie metallica, apparently (who I hate). Even doing what red & meth did with the powerstripe commercials and whatnot. Their music hasn't changed (what little you hear of it) it's still good. An artist who changes their style or whatnot for their own reasons isn't a sellout, unless they did it SPECIFICALLY to make more money - thats something that warrants a loss of respect.

If you want to go rag on an "artist" go look at the fuckin eye candy pieces of corporate advertising; who get handed a sheet with lyrics and get told to "sing this now". Those are the people who ruin the respectability of music

Originally posted by B16@Jun 27 2003, 12:44 PM
redman back in the EPMD days was dope, then like 3 albums after, were also dope.. his recent shit kinda sucks, i miss old school redman :(

I do agree his old shit was betta.

redman back in the EPMD days was dope, then like 3 albums after, were also dope.. his recent shit kinda sucks, i miss old school redman :(

Just to clear shit up in my post I didn't suggest that those artists sold out, to be honest with I could care less if they did or did not sell out. I listen to what I like, period. Why would anyone care about what someone else thinks or feels about music, it is opinion and solely based on that.

I don't like the sound of metallica but shit, if they did sell out due to money then good, I am sure 99.9% of you guys would do the same. It used to be the argument of punk rock back when I was in high school. It was like if you decided to blow up then you sold out, I mean this is the dumbest thing I have heard. Personally I would so called "sell out" if the money was right, period. Opinion doesn't pay my bills.

I think we should post what actually defines "sell out"???????

Milan

Back