fed to cut rates AGAIN

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hybrids are the answer for our fuel consumption in the present. In 2010 and 2011, GM and Toyota are supposed to debut full plug in hybrids that are supposed to be much more fuel efficient. Toyota was supposed to release their hybrid in the next year but when one of the laptop manufactures had a recall on their batteries (i think it was sony, hp, or dell) Toyota found out that their batteries were using the same technology and decided to do more extensive testing before letting them hit the market.

Short term hybrids are the only real feasible answer because we don't have the infrastructure in place for any other new technology to rapidly hit the market. Plus transportation is by far the number one consumer of energy in America. If we reduce the amount of energy required there then demand will fall, making prices settle and also the harmful effects on the environment will be greatly lessened.

There are Gas and Diesel cars in the UK right now that get 50 miles per gallon and aren't hybrid. And not tiny little Yugo's either, full size sedans. 2 or 3 episodes ago on 5th Gear they were comparing various cars and were basically making fun of one because of its low MPG rating of 42MPG. The better one (A Nissan diesel) got 53mpg and had something like 200lb/ft of torque (being diesel of course). Neither was a hybrid.

Many comparable cars sold in the UK and other nations on that side of the planet are actually built in the US, and shipped overseas. The kicker is that they're illegal to drive here due to emissions and safety differences (not shortcomings, just differences). We have the technology right now, and in the country to drive powerful, large vehicles with fuel efficiencies equivalent or better than a Prius, without even having to resort to hybrid technology, but are hung up by useless red tape.

Last edited:
VW produced a deisel that gets over 50mpg, and produces less emissions than a prius,
B posted a thread about it a just a bit ago.

and it still has power, will we see it in the US??
doubt it. that would just be too logical.

The euro was adopted by eleven countries including Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg,The Netherlands, Portugal and Spain as their official currency. On January 1, 1999, the money from the 11 countries that were in the European Union had the value of their money set. That means they couldn't change it anymore.

looks like 99

[SIZE=+1]
[SIZE=+1] 2002
[SIZE=+1]The euro became the common currency of Europe for twelve countries in the European Union. This was the biggest changing of money that the world had even seen![/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

The yen has also gained on the dollar and is eating into multinationals that are based in Japan.

We picked up half a cent on the Euro the other day, when UBS announced even more of its subprime mortgage exposure and its contingency plan for a bail out.

we should honestly round up all the fucktards that were selling sub prime mortgages to make an extra buck and burn them all in a huge pit

and all the people that fell for it should be used to put the fire out, and then cover them all over with dirt and forget about it

we should honestly round up all the fucktards that were selling sub prime mortgages to make an extra buck and burn them all in a huge pit

and all the people that fell for it should be used to put the fire out, and then cover them all over with dirt and forget about it
we could just harvest there organs to sell on the black market to recoup the countries losses.

IMO, if you were stupid, you deserve to lose your home that you could never afford in the first place.

but there are supposed to be business ethics (yes i realise that it's an oxymoron). Shady and unscrupulous business should be penalised.

it all pretty much boils down to the magical thing that is missing from American culture these days.... "personal responsibility"

lenders/car sales men/the guy trying to sell you siding/etc are always shady. If you're not smart enough to know what you're getting into, you deserve to get fucked over.

true, but if you are lending hundreds of thousands to someone on an inflated apraisal, and they default the company is also screwed.

you have to realize that 95% of the people that bought into ARM's at subprime levels, bought to turn a profit and move in a couple years.
The market tanked, and now they are screwed.

you don't see anyone bailing me out of my stocks that are tanked.

I took a risk, lost some money, and here we are.

Sure, i didn't lose the roof over my head because of it, but at the same time, i bought them cash... not on credit (i don't even think that's possible anyway)

Should the gov't bail me out because I lost 40% on [stock]gcom[/stock]?

nope.

true, but if you are lending hundreds of thousands to someone on an inflated apraisal, and they default the company is also screwed.

Here's the beauty of the scheme. Most people, like yourself, would think that the bank would be kept in check for fear of bad debt and future write downs. What really happened was that banks packaged the mortgages as securities backed by faulty mortgages and sold off the risk to investment bankers, who in turn sold the risk to investors. The worst part was that rather than sub BBB ratings for these bonds, to denote the junk/speculative/high yields bonds that they really were, the bonds were given investment grade ratings. Even more sickening is that many were given AAA+ ratings.

The only time the banks suffered was when they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Banks suffered when they had the bad loans left on their books because investment bankers stopped demanding the mortgage backed securities. Investment bankers got got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, when investors stopped demanding mortgage backed bonds. This is where we are now and this is why you see investment banks having the problems as opposed to commercial banks. Bear Sterns went under because of their amount of subprime exposure. UBS is in serious trouble because of their subprime exposure. Leiman brothers and Goldman are also questionable.

In reality, the only banks really effected were the investment banks. The people who invested with these banks are the ones that are really screwed and set up for huge losses if the banks go under. Look at Bear Sterns, employees owned 1/3rd of Stern's stock - they were the big losers in the deal, and the reason why JP Morgan had to revise their bid from the firesale price of $2 up to the firesale price of $10. Stern traded last traded for $37 the weekend before the take over.

Everyone is to blame. Banks kept writing the mortgages because of the revenue generated by the fees associated with the loans, the profit from the sale to the investment banks, the ability to pass the risk off of their books, and because investment banks demanded as many mortgage backed securities as they could.

Investment banks demanded the securities because investors were demanding the securities. If they didn't sell the securities, idiotic investors would have went to whatever investment bank that was offering the securities. Investment banks simply saw this as a cash cow and an opportunity to make money. The biggest reason I fault the investment banks is because of the lack of scrutiny they gave the mortgages that were bundled in the securities, before they gave the securities AAA+ ratings.

And then we have the moronic investor that thought real estate was the end all, be all of investments.

Sure, i didn't lose the roof over my head because of it, but at the same time, i bought them cash... not on credit (i don't even think that's possible anyway)

Should the gov't bail me out because I lost 40% on [stock]gcom[/stock]?

It is possible to by stocks on credit. In the stock world its called margin. So whenever you hear analysts speaking of margin, you know they're talking about stocks that were not financed with cash. The investment banker holds the stocks as collateral until the loan is paid off.

This is what I was talking about earlier in the thread or in another thread about the Great Depression. The Fed decided that investors were too leveraged (finance through debt, not equity) and that this was one of the many factors that sent the stock market spiraling down further into the depression.

So the Fed set a limit on the percentage of securities that can be bought through debt (margin). Investment banks set their own limits on margin, so they don't wind up out of money. This is what you hear referred to as a margin call. Once the stock dips below a certain point and the investor reaches a certain percentage of equity, the investment bank gives a margin call - you either put more money into your investment account, or they take the security and sell it, to cover the loan.

Here's the important part, this is the sort of legislation that I was talking about coming down the pipe for mortgages. These are my personal beliefs, but I'm nearly positive that the Fed. Govt. is going to set a limit on the percentage an individual can be leveraged as it applies to mortgages. This will limit the risk if we have a fall in home prices. The problem now is that most people had no equity in their home and now even if the homes were sold by the individual or foreclosed and then sold, the mortgages would not be covered because the market price is below the mortgage amount. (People are upside down in their homes, just like they are in their cars.)

A few weeks ago one financial analyst speculate about these regulations being in the works, but I haven't seen any talk since.

One last point, this is a complex idea and I'm not an investment banker, but the return seen when you finance through debt and earn a positive return are much higher than those returns seen by individuals who have not financed through debt. Conversely, the losses are also increased if theres a loss and its financed through debt.

Hedge funds work off of this premise. True, they work off of the premise of "hedging" stocks that have negative correlation coefficients against one another, to diversify and offset gains and losses, but hedge funds also leverage themselves incredibly. This is why a hedge fund can see huge returns or huge losses and this is why its so risky. (There's also talks of legislation for Hedge Funds since they aren't regulated by the SEC right now).

I forget the guys name now, but he was the hedge fund manager of LCMF - the hedge fund that blew up during the dot com boom. They were leveraged for every $1 of equity, they had $50 worth of debt. So when things were good they were great but when they were bad, the effects were amplified that many more times. This same guy just sold off the other hedge fund he started in 2002 after it just saw a 27% loss last year - that one was only leveraged $17 for every $1 in equity.

Back