Feel small..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fascinating.

I think, very often, about how difficult it is to fully wrap my mind around how big our world really is.
with modern tech, and means of travel, it makes it feel small.

then, i try to grasp the concept of how very large our galaxy and universe are and its near impossible.

Last edited:
The Total Perspective Vortex is a device built as a practical application of the theory of atomic interactivity, the idea is that if every atom of the universe is affected by every other atom of the universe, it is theoretically possible to extrapolate a model of the entire universe using a single piece of matter as a starting point. The TPV does this using a piece of fairy cake as its extrapolatory base.
Originally created by its inventor Trin Tragula as a way to get back at his wife (who always told him to get a "sense of proportion"), the TPV is now used as a torture device on the planet Frogstar. In a small chamber, you are presented with a 3-D model of the entire universe in exacting detail. In that model is a microscopic dot with the legend "you are here" printed on it.

The only person to survive exposure to the TPV is former President of the Galaxy Zaphod Beeblebrox. At the time he was exposed to the TPV, he was inside a computer-generated universe created for his protection by Zarniwoop. Since the entire universe was created for him, the TPV effectively told him that he was, in fact, the single most important person in the universe. This allowed Zaphod to survive the experience, and also did not surprise him in the least.

He then ate the fairy cake. This theoretically rendered the TPV inactive, until such time as a new piece of fairy cake could be delivered.

Zaphod explained, "Hmm.. mmm... If I told you how much I wanted this cake, I wouldn't have time to eat it."

So what you're saying essentially is, is that along with infinite space which extends beyond perpetual bigness there's also infinite smallness?

Mmmhmm.

How?

Easy. Take an asymptotic line and extend it outward.

Oh...

I grew out of psychedelics many, many years ago, but it would be awesome to drop about ten hits of some good LSD, and run that on a big 15' projector all night.

352-whoa.jpg

I grew out of psychedelics many, many years ago, but it would be awesome to drop about ten hits of some good LSD, and run that on a big 15' projector all night.

here's a good video for that

The Known Universe by AMNH - YouTube
(click though for full screen 720p version)

This film shows the known universe as mapped through astronomical observations.

Every satellite, moon, planet, star and galaxy is represented to scale and in its correct, measured location according to the best scientific research to-date.

The data is maintained and curated by research astrophysicists at the American Museum of Natural History as the Digital Universe Atlas.

Did your UN change today, or are the psychedelics affecting me?

So what you're saying essentially is, is that along with infinite space which extends beyond perpetual bigness there's also infinite smallness?

Mmmhmm.

How?

Easy. Take an asymptotic line and extend it outward.

Oh...

The Universe can NOT be infinite, and the quantity "Infinite" can not exist.

To say that the Universe is Infinitely large, one must accept that it is also infinitely small. Because a ray (With a starting point and no end) will quantify the term "Almost Infinite". Almost Infinite can not exist.

In terms of Size, an infinitely large or infinitely small universe will thusly make it that our own size is "infinitely insignificant" or "Almost Infinitely Insignificant".

Our our point on that line of "small / large" would be reduced to infinity.

The term Infinity must be handled carefully. There is no infinite.

What if large and small do not exist? Only infinity?

Then infinity would be infinitely infinite.

To say that the Universe is Infinitely large, one must accept that it is also infinitely small. Because a ray (With a starting point and no end) will quantify the term "Almost Infinite". Almost Infinite can not exist.

In terms of Size, an infinitely large or infinitely small universe will thusly make it that our own size is "infinitely insignificant" or "Almost Infinitely Insignificant".

I was quoting Revenge of the Nerds Part II lol

what about the expansion of the universe? it seems to me that at any given time, the universe is a finite size, but when looking at the size long term you can say that the size is infinite.

Size at (t) = x
Size at (t+1) = x+y
Size at (t+n) = inf
as n approaches inf.

and for the term "universe" which is supposed to encompass EVERYTHING, if the universe is expanding (which it is), what is it expanding into?

Back