Few cam questions......

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

Ok i know its a dumb one but here go's.... on a DOHC are the intake and exhaust cams the same? Like can they both be used on wich ever side of the engine?
And my next question is which is a better cam toda or skunk? The skunks seem to be a more agresive cam but the todas im sure have had mucho R&D work put in to them.

As far as i know, they are not the same. As for your other cam question its personal prefrence.

have either of them been dyno proven over the other? and whats the price difference between the two like toda stage 1 vs Skunk spec A and stage 2 vs spec B? and add jun into the mix same deal.....

And whats better higher lift or longer duration? It seems there just making a trade off.

Its pretty much a trade off, where do you want your power, and how much of it do you want? Decide that then go from there. As for price i think the skunks are always going to be cheaper.

I see...what about quality? Do skunks compare there to? and does any one know if people like comp cams or ultra dyne make honda cams? or is JUN, TODA, and SKUNK my only choices fro a good after market cam? and who makes good turbo cams? or is stock good for tubro setups?

Just my .02 but skunks are good cams. With Toda & Jun your paying for the mad Jdm name. Not saying that they are not good cams, but i think alot of the price is in the name. As far as comp cams, i know one guy running them on his b16, he loves them. As for turbo cams, most of the people i know are ruuning gsr cams.

get some regrinds, they're hella cheap, and they will grind them to your spec's usually. so get the specs on a toda, jun, or whatever you want to use and they'll make em'

Regrinds are junk, the bigest problem with them is the ramp angle is so steep that you will get very little life out of your valve train.

im not argueing with regrinds, just recently i've found a new friend, and i guess he can get crane or crower cam regrinds for free, all i need to do is pay shipping. i guess his uncle or something like that works for them and he said he'lll do them for free.

and its to our specs, so doesnt that mean that we choose our angles?

You will choose you lift. But there is only so much of the cam to start with. So to get the lift you want, you have to grind some of the old cam off, which in turn makes the ramp angle steeper.

skunk2 uses stock low lobes.... so you keep your fuel economy and such for daily driving... you gain NO power at all untill you switch to the high lobes... the change over is almost never smooth regardless of tuning

toda changes both the low and high lobes to a more agressive grind... you will gain power throughout your RPM range... you will lose some fuel economy... VTEC engagement is generally smoother... with proper tuning even toda Cs can be tuned to idle smoothly

for a daily driver, skunk2 are probly a better choice
for a drag car, skunk2 are probly a better choice
for a road course car, toda are probly a better choice
for agressive driving, corner carving, all around fun, toda are probly a better choice

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 27 2004, 02:42 AM
and oh yeah

regrinds suck

regrinds can suck my left one, and with toda and jun you are not paying for that mad JdM fLaVa you are paying for years of research and extremely high quality.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 26 2004, 11:42 PM
skunk2 uses stock low lobes.... so you keep your fuel economy and such for daily driving... you gain NO power at all untill you switch to the high lobes... the change over is almost never smooth regardless of tuning

toda changes both the low and high lobes to a more agressive grind... you will gain power throughout your RPM range... you will lose some fuel economy... VTEC engagement is generally smoother... with proper tuning even toda Cs can be tuned to idle smoothly

for a daily driver, skunk2 are probly a better choice
for a drag car, skunk2 are probly a better choice
for a road course car, toda are probly a better choice
for agressive driving, corner carving, all around fun, toda are probly a better choice

:werd:

I've got a regrind in my engine and I've had no problems with it at all. No abnormal wear or funky noises and the performance is definitely noticable.

Of course, regrinds are the only option for my engine. <_<

Lift/Duration specs (for anyone who gives a shizzle)

Intake: Lift: 10.6mm, Duration: 256
Exhaust: Lift: 10.6mm, Duration: 270

Im curious and I wanted to do some thread jacking. Uhmm what is a good cam for a street use on an all motor LS set up. Rather what is cheap yet still good. Im not looking for a radical bumpstick, but something that will improve the engine performance while still keeping it streetable and not killing the pocket book. something under $350, is that reasonable

Back