few hondata questions before purchase

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DelSlo

so here it is, another noob to the site askin about hondata, well ive read justabout every article on the site trying to figure it all out, and i just wanted a few opinions from those who have experience with the program,

so im not a major tuner but ive been doing basic swaps here and there for ppl where i live, i got a b16 a2 in my 93 sol, and im wanting to get hondata as a next purchase for my car, im reading about this s100 and s 200 and was wondering what you think of somewhere to start, is it best to start with the s100 and get familiar with it and move up to s200 as my skills and understanding progress, or should i just dive in and grab the s200 b/c the s100 is old news.... i reall want to get deep into the whole electronic part of tuning and like my man pills said..feel hardcore cause youre tuning your car with a laptop! :p

so what do ya think is a good place to start, and what options are pretty much essential to help tune around with it! i plan on goin boost next year (this year was the motor swap) just incase that makes a difference to your answers! thanx again!

Paul

p.s, sorry for the post whoring the past couple days! sometimes i just gotta get my freak on B)

Better dig deep into those pockets of yours, you'll also need....

Wideband O2 that has RS232 output to datalog with Hondata - $500-$1100

Dealer software from Honata to tune

Access to a dyno, or street tuning can be done, but not recommended

Good laptop
Romulator
Pocket Programmer2
Serial to USB converter
12V+ to 120AC convertor (to run the laptop, PP2, etc....)

Then go buy a lifetime of rogaine because you're gonna pull your hair out from time to time.

i would definately consider using Uberdata. Get the pocket programmer 2, find a dyno that uses a wideband O2, preferably welds in a bung near the front of the car, mine was put in my test pipe.

pocket programmer 2 is 150 bucks,
figure at least 3 hours on the dyno and that probably won't get you 100% where you want to be.

another option with the hondata..
get an s200, and you can add things on as you go.. spread it out over a period of time rather than getting hammered all at once.

or try to find an older stage 2/3/4 system.
get a pocket programmer, a romulator, a laptop then PM me with regards to the software, i know a place you can come across that rather inexpensively...

If you've just got a stock B16A2, I wouldn't worry about hondata or anything yet...

But, coming from someone who's used Hondata, I'd go with Uberdata. It's essentially the same thing, but without the blue box, and it's (more or less) free. With Hondata, you've still gotta get the pocket programmer, tune it on a dyno, and then burn the chip. With uberdata you do pretty much the exact same thing, except you don't have to pay the $260 for the blue box...even though the blue box has a really cool red LED.

If I had to do it all over again (and I am doing it all over again) I'd go with uberdata. Unless you want the cool LED.

just run an FMU.

lol j/k

its a lot of cash either way you go.... so make sure you budget correctly for it.
quite frankly, the cheapest way sometimes is to have a hondata tuner tune you with their stuff. then, all you need is the base system w/ boot... don't need a chip burner or any of that stuff.
you'll most likely be paying a tuner anyway- and dyno time- so why not go to one who can do it all for you, and perhaps give you a better deal.
but that depends a lot on where you live too.

i had the honda s200 system, full bangs and whistles, and all the hardware to go with it...

i thought it was a great system.

but i hated the blue box. no where to put the same thing so that its easy to access and reach the ecu.
i hated serial interface. the usb-serial convertors (come on, who has a laptop with a serial port any more?) suck. i even had the ones hondata recommends. it would take like 10 times trying to just to connect to the freakin unit.

I don't like the multiplier. i think that its stupid to tune based on injector size with a correction factor based on the injector size-- so that your charts all appear to have the same fuel value in it-- from stock injectors to 1000 cc injectors. that drove me nuts.

i hated how there was 3 times as many ingition and fuel tables for vacuum than there is boost.
yes, vacuum/part throttle/pre-spool is harder to tune, but i think the 3, 7, 11 psi tables is just too much of a jump to get a solid tune in between. 3 columns. vs the 10 i think it was for vacuum.

uberdata is similar in this manner

frankly, if i had to do it again, i don't know what the hell i'd go with. but i don't think either hondata or uberdata would be on the list. burning chips sucks.

thanx for all your input. yeah i didnt plan on doing it all at once. but like pissedoffsol said, it depends on where ya live, now i live in toronto, but toronto is a big place, takes an hour and bit to drive through on the freeway. and there are not too many tuner shops and if there is, no one seems to use hondata or anything, ive only run into one guy who i can trust for info and thats who i bought my b16 off of, unfortunately he owns a small shop about an hour and 15 minutes away. and i have access to a dyno at the shop i used to work at. cant wait till i move to the u.s next year! lol

ill check out this uberdata. ill look for the website on here, i know ive seen it a few places.

and im not running a b16a2 stock and thinking im hardcore and now i need hondata, but its good to learn that stuff, and id rather start learning the program now so that i dont get into turbo'ing next year, and nitrous which is on the way now, and get stuck and have to buy all that then with my turbo...i figure learn it stock so that when it comes to tune nitrous and boost, then atleast i got some backround in it. anyways thats just my point of view, thanx for all your input , i appreciate it.

now i gotta outside do a hatchback headgasket on my driveway (sol is tucked in the garage hehe) and its snowing like crazy out..... cmon does that not show honda love or what?? :)

Originally posted by DelSlo@Feb 9 2005, 02:15 PM
and im not running a b16a2 stock and thinking im hardcore and now i need hondata, but its good to learn that stuff, and id rather start learning the program now so that i dont get into turbo'ing next year, and nitrous which is on the way now, and get stuck and have to buy all that then with my turbo...i figure learn it stock so that when it comes to tune nitrous and boost, then atleast i got some backround in it. anyways thats just my point of view, thanx for all your input , i appreciate it.
[post=458641]Quoted post[/post]​

I didn't say that you're running it stock and thinking you're hardcore, but ANY engine management on a stock motor is a waste of money. You don't have anything to tune! You aren't going to learn jack shit by 'learning to tune' on a stock motor, nor will you have 'some background in it'.

Any aftermarket engine management on a stock motor is a waste of money. PERIOD.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 9 2005, 02:27 PM
just run an FMU.

lol j/k

its a lot of cash either way you go.... so make sure you budget correctly for it.
quite frankly, the cheapest way sometimes is to have a hondata tuner tune you with their stuff. then, all you need is the base system w/ boot... don't need a chip burner or any of that stuff.
you'll most likely be paying a tuner anyway- and dyno time- so why not go to one who can do it all for you, and perhaps give you a better deal.
but that depends a lot on where you live too.

i had the honda s200 system, full bangs and whistles, and all the hardware to go with it...

i thought it was a great system.

but i hated the blue box. no where to put the same thing so that its easy to access and reach the ecu.
i hated serial interface. the usb-serial convertors (come on, who has a laptop with a serial port any more?) suck. i even had the ones hondata recommends. it would take like 10 times trying to just to connect to the freakin unit.

I don't like the multiplier. i think that its stupid to tune based on injector size with a correction factor based on the injector size-- so that your charts all appear to have the same fuel value in it-- from stock injectors to 1000 cc injectors. that drove me nuts.

i hated how there was 3 times as many ingition and fuel tables for vacuum than there is boost.
yes, vacuum/part throttle/pre-spool is harder to tune, but i think the 3, 7, 11 psi tables is just too much of a jump to get a solid tune in between. 3 columns. vs the 10 i think it was for vacuum.

uberdata is similar in this manner

frankly, if i had to do it again, i don't know what the hell i'd go with. but i don't think either hondata or uberdata would be on the list. burning chips sucks.
[post=458623]Quoted post[/post]​

would this be a good alternative.....
http://www.centralfloridaturbo.com/microtech.php
and some vids from the site........
http://www.centralfloridaturbo.com/videos.php
nice place.....
what do you think about the microtech
is this any better
http://www.motec.com/products/kits/hondakit.htm

Motec is awesome if you want to spend like 8 grand on engine management.

I have heard great things from microtech units. They are $825 staright up for all the bells and whistles, plus when you order it up, you give them the required specs as to your setup and they start you with a base program to make it basiccly turn key after install. They also include a complete wire harness for your motor. follow there directions buy wiring up your existing sensors to there harnes, plug it in a start it up, then you take it in to have it fine tuned. This system was designed by one of the big boys who started either haltech or motech. I guess he was way into mazda/rotary motors and wanted a system to be complient with them. Microtech is what he came up with. check them out as an altenate option. After a couple years of going back and forth with what to use, I think this will be my move the more and more i research it. lso, it is a stand alone unit, no ECU and the box is barley bigger than a hondata blue turd!

matt

yeah i think ill start saving for this....

thanx im gonna look into that!

sorry bro didnt mean to offend you with the hardcore thing, and my motor is stock right now, i got it in and got it running and made sure everything on it works before i started modding it, so ive got a nitrous kit on the way, ive got a ultra light 8.76 lb flywheel sitting in my bedroom for it, im looking for a set of exhaust headers, the intake is on it, and the head is coming off in a week or so (when im finished doing a customers car) for a port and polish and valve grind. now is that a heavily modified engine? not by any means compared to you folks, but id almost consider that close to stock form for hondata, but im sure the nitrous and changing the flow of the gasses is something that can be finer tuned with an engine management system.... if you disagree with me say so and if there is absolutely no advantage in using an engine management for these mods than id agree with you, ive never done it so im not completely informed, hence th reason im askin you guys with experience right? :)

per cylinder? that's badass...

too bad i'm broke...lol....

that, and i don't have shit to tune :(

Back