Few question regarding replacement parts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skrewz

This is my first post and so I'll introduce myself. I'm from toronto, not new to honda's. I've owned 2 preludes with H22As, and an S2000, all modded to an extent.. Just picked up a 98 Ek hatch with a b16a pre-installed that came with a few "goodies". All in all the car is decent, and it has absolutely no rust.
I have lots of experience working with cars and some track time as well, but I"m new to the whole b16 swap scene. Already I've noticed a few problems with the car and i need to replace a few parts.

I need to replace the cv shafts and the intermediate shaft because there is play all around. As of right now, I'm not sure from which car I need to order the parts. My civic also has gsr brakes all around and I'm not sure whether the front brakes are simple drop-in upgrade from stock, or the spindles have been changed. If the spindles were changed from a gsr, which axles would I need? Which intermediate shaft? Are they interchangeable with the stock civic's? Say from a 99 SIR?

Also, the car apparently has skunk2 pro cams, skunk2 adj. cam gears, some tuning done by I'm not sure whom exactly but the car feels like it lacks in the balls department. Now I know it's only a 1.6 but it feels as though it has a bit more potential N/A especially with the internal valvetrain mods. It also has ITR springs and retainers, from what I've been told. I have not pulled the valve cover yet.

Also, the upper timing cover is missing which lead the discovery of a potentially slack timing belt. Has anyone noticed this before with their b16? The tensioner side of the belt is particularly slack to the point where you can twist 90*? This could contribute to the lack of power I was describing earlier. The engine was "built" by a supposed reputable shop not too many miles ago but I have a feeling I'm going to have to tear it down and fix some of mistakes they may have made. I base this premise on the fact that the rear main seal is already leaking and so is the oil-pan. Also the tuning was done at the same place and I can't say I'm impressed. I've noticed much better gains going from stock to a phearable.net's pre-burned ecu than I can say about how my car drives right now.

So my main questions are how interchangeable are the suspension parts? I"m going to order all front suspension components so I would like to know. The axles need changing and I would like to know which ones I would need, along with the intermediate shaft. What USDM honda came with the b16? From what I gather as well, I have a b16a II because I have a hydraulic transmission, but I was also under the impression that the b series transmissions are interchangeable. The car has what looks like an ob2 to obd1 harness adapter to the ECU as well. is there such a thing as obd0 to obd1?

I have done research and found implicit answer to some of the question but I would like to know for sure so that I can order everything and install in one shot without the disappointment of waiting for the right part to arrive.

Thanks for all the future input,
Alex.

As far as the lack of "balls" it sounds like you could have a timing issue. Pop the valvecover off, check to see that the S2 cams are in there. If they are, check the recommended timing setting for those cams (I'd assume calling skunk2 would be your best option), after that is done, set the timing to the recommended setting.

As far as the axles, 94-01 Integra axles will work. Doesn't matter GSR, LS, GS, RS, whatever you can find. If you're set on getting an OEM set for that car, you can look into the 99-00 Civic SI axles, but they are the exact same, I assure you.

B-Series transmissions ARE interchangeable with the exception of the first gen Prelude tranny (B20A5 or something like that).

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask in regaurds of the brakes, please specify?

Great, thanks for the help.
I'm not going with original axles, just called the dealer and SIR axles are 1k per side lol. Axles for my S2K were 595 each so...

About the brakes what I mean is: are the front gsr brake upgrade simply housing/caliper/rotors or does the hub/spindle get swapped as well? For the rear I can tell that the whole trailing arm has been changed. Also, for some odd reason I don't have neither front nor rear sway bars, would integra sway bars fit as well?

Thanks again

On the front brakes they more than likely swapped the complete knuckle and hub, that's the easiest, fastest way as the upper arm assembly is the same in most of this line.

Back